Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I recently got two new games and added them to my collection. The first was Seasons and the other was 7 Wonders. I learned both games and was ready to teach them to my wife and brother on a game night.

The first game I taught them was Seasons, they were a bit overwhelmed by the initial draft and first Season, but they quickly caught on and appreciated the elegance and complexity of the game. I lost in a crushing defeat to my brother.

Then we played 7 Wonders. I set the game up and we began the draft. At the end of the first age, my wife asked, "Okay so when are we going to play the game?" I then responded, "We actually just played through a third of it..."

They were not impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played either to be honest, but I have come to understand Seasons is "7 Wonders, but interesting". I'd have certainly never picked up both. Math trade time?

Then again, the number of games that could be called "Dominion but interesting", and I loooove Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Then again, the number of games that could be called "Dominion but interesting", and I loooove Dominion.

I hear that. I realize a lot of people feel like Dominion is half a game with all the other options available, but sometimes simple mechanics fits a needed niche. (I love Dominion too)

I will probably try 7 Wonders again later with a big group since I think it fills that spot which Seasons can't reach. (7 players with simultaneous turns). I also got Leaders in the same trade, so I am hoping that will add enough complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirchadofkent wrote:
[q="TheRocketSurgeon"]
I will probably try 7 Wonders again later with a big group since I think it fills that spot which Seasons can't reach. (7 players with simultaneous turns). I also got Leaders in the same trade, so I am hoping that will add enough complexity.

I am a fan of both 7 Wonders and Seasons, I think they just fill different needs.

I have played 7 Wonders with 3, 4, 5 and 7 and I can say it really shines with larger groups. Seven players all taking turns simultaneously. Also play is completely different with more than 3 as you're primarily worried about your two immediate neighbours but also you're trying to keep half an eye on what others are doing so you can make sure they don't get cards they want.

I highly recommend giving 7 Wonders a go with 5+ players if you can.

Hope you enjoy your new games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite using the same mechanics, they are functionally two very different games. Seasons is a deeper, more complex game designed for small groups and longer play. 7 Wonders is a game designed for large groups and is intended to play very quickly.

Teaching and playing them back to back is almost guaranteed to be a recipe for disaster, as the group will be looking for one specific playstyle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games are similar in that both games are over once you finish the draft. But Seasons has a bunch of time-wasting nonsense you also have to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.