Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to get some advice on the best version of Puerto Rico to purchase. I live in Denmark and based on my research I have a few different options. Background on myself: I speak primarily English and I would really like a version with the expansions included if possible.

1) Buy the Rio Grande English edition - Pros:game text in English Cons: no pictures on building tiles, no expansions

2) Buy the crazy expensive Limited Anniversary edition - Pros: game in English, pictures on tiles, improved components, both expansions Cons: crazy expensive, hard to get

3)Buy the 2012 Ravenburger German edition - Pros: Pictures on tiles, both expansions included Cons: Game text in german

I don't think it is worth the $150-200 it would take to buy the Anniversary Edition, so I think it comes down to options 1 and 3.

Any advice from people who already own the game? I really think I would prefer to have pictures on the tiles to make them a bit more exciting, but I would also like to be able to read what is written on them I'm also a completionist and really would like to have the expansion tiles.

Can I get by with all text being in German or would that just be a bad idea? What would you do? Is there another version I should be considering that I'm not aware of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
This depends very much on whether you and your likely fellow players are comfortable with reading German.

The information printed on the tiles is vital to the gameplay.

You can of course get around it by having translated lists printed out or memorizing the tiles. But in that case, the gameplay experience would lose more than it would gain by the illustrations. At least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also go for a mix: option 1 with all expansions.

Many of us bought the expansions before the anniversary edition was decided upon, so there should be excess copies lying around

Buying a Germany copy is less expensive, but unless you play with people WHO either know all the Buildings, og know enough German to not be bothered about it, I would advise against it. It's a pain to have people asking about each Building does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heron da Cruz
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 1 and http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/42234/base-game-and-expans...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick advice I know a little German, but I'm certainly not comfortable enough with it to play without a translation cheat sheet. I think that I agree with the comment that this would take a lot of the fun out of the game, especially if every building had to be explained over and over.

To buy the expansions, it seems like I can either print them out & make my own tiles, buy them separately (from a private seller on eBay/BGG), or buy the Alea Treasure Chest. I'm leaning towards buying them from a private seller, but it will be a bit more expensive to get them to Denmark it seems.

I appreciate the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 1 is the only that has a #7 on the side of the box which may, or may not, be important to you ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The updated printing of the base game was a 2013/2014 edition, I thought? This is the one with number #16 on the side, no?

The English expansions from the RGG Treasure Chest should be quite easy to find. I know I have a few bits from it (Puerto Rico, Witches Brew, Princes of Florence) I keep meaning to get around to selling...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to update on what I decided to do:

I purchased a used copy of the base game with both expansions from another BGG user in Denmark. Thanks everyone for their comments and suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.