Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wojtek Kamusella
Poland
Kedzierzyn-Kozle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question to more experienced players.

What could stop POPE (beside murder) from winning the game?
With only one TAX card he can make soooo big difference in money (in our PBF game it is 40 vs average 6) so he seems unstoppable then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ottevaere Wouter
Belgium
Vosselaar
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pope is an elected cardinal or bishop. So why in the first place did the voters elect that specific cardinal or bishop to become the pope?

And yes: you can murder the pope if he becomes to 'bossy', so hey, what's the problem?

Haha... I'm looking forward to receive my Kickstarter copy to get into the political-ecclessiastical-nuptial-economical crises and troubles! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A polish asking how to stop the pope.

Now I have seen everything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Samberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In your particular PBF the pope character is the only character of that player (thanks to your brilliant use of revolt on Blanche). So while he is certainly rich (at the moment) he is also pretty isolated and I bet the other players don't like the pope taking away their profits from the mills either. He is also unable to ally with anyone at the moment since the pope cannot marry obviously. His former ally epileticemu only has three male lords (two of them bishops) so a reinstatement of that alliance seems rather improbable at the moment. Especially since Negmon only needs one more point for a solo victory and epilepticemu's FM at Des Essarts is in his way to buying the dark green baron title. Luckily, green will likely not risk losing his only character in a battle. He needs time to come back from his somewhat weakened board position, which is doubly difficult with only one character to move troops.

So, especially for you and yellow: Forget your past alliances (what kind of king gets himself captured anyway ), marry asap and march on green before he can spend all that cash on too many things. The longer you wait the stronger he gets, but with pressure from two sides I think you have a decent chance, provided you can keep tonione away, of course...

... Gods, how I long to get my own copy You PBF guys really know how to make a session exciting. If this game is always that tense (and my friends get as hyped by it as I am) I will never finish my bachelor's thesis. Curse you Academy Games!

So in general (without ever having played a single session so far ) good ideas for stopping the pope('s player):

- kill him with the assassin
- or, if more efficient, break his alliance by killing one of the spouses
- which might also help to: isolate him
- gang up on him

- if he is not yet in an alliance you might of course also just get allied with him and take the victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"PBF?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lalas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
"PBF?"

Play By Forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I would like to point out is that if a character with no heir dies the king gets the title.

So at the moment in our PBF if the Pope gets murdered the king will win. It is troubling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:
One thing I would like to point out is that if a character with no heir dies the king gets the title.

So at the moment in our PBF if the Pope gets murdered the king will win. It is troubling.

Clearly, the answer is more murder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad it's been an exciting game to spectate It's been pretty fun to play! Can't wait to get a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Mattray
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Some ideas :

-use taxes with your bishops. They prevent taxes by the pope because bishop has priority. (i did it in the pbf game).

-you can decide to pillage your own mills to prevent them to be taxed by the pope !

The pope is really strong, but he will only have 1 allied max, so other players can ally against him, even without mariage.

As for all diplomatic games, it's not allways a good thing to be strong too soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Mattray
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:

No. It's for fief titles only.
And the king decide who will gain the fief title, during the next build phase.
So if the player put a new character in play before, ihe will take back his title.

For the pope title, anew election will occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Mattray
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MordredPendragon wrote:

... Gods, how I long to get my own copy :) You PBF guys really know how to make a session exciting. If this game is always that tense (and my friends get as hyped by it as I am) I will never finish my bachelor's thesis. Curse you Academy Games!

The game is far away more tense in real !
It's really hard for me to see everything in this pbf game, so to make strategic plans.
Perhaps because i don't use to play pbf ...
The rythm is obviously slow, and you can't make jokes or say ambiance sentences as you can during a real game.

But it's a good way to see how the mechanic works. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
"Oh, you know this hold...?"
badge
!
mbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
"PBF?"

Pest Briends Forever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Dalek5 wrote:

Clearly, the answer is more murder.

I am not sure how I feel about this murder talk, especially when it deals with the pope. I think the clear answer is for all to step aside and let the Lord's anointed win the game.

On a side note though, I am surprised as to how powerful the Pope is, and his ability seems to be over the kings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Kamusella
Poland
Kedzierzyn-Kozle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celacanto wrote:
A polish asking how to stop the pope.

Now I have seen everything

negmon wrote:
On a side note though, I am surprised as to how powerful the Pope is, and his ability seems to be over the kings.

And that is the point. Elected Pope create so much power that if he have "Murder" in hand he is auto winner in most cases...
I always liked Green colour

MordredPendragon wrote:
...thanks to your brilliant use of revolt on Blanche...

Brilliant move could be made just one minute before, when I had opportunity to end game using Cavalcade and take Sigy in one move... eh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:

It's good to be the King.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sdric
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
- Do not play good harvest/good weather, if you don t play after the pope or you cannot secure tax with a bishop or a cardinal.

- Eventually you can sell your good harvest/good weather to the pope to split the bonus in two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Kamusella
Poland
Kedzierzyn-Kozle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdric wrote:
- Do not play good harvest/good weather, if you don t play after the pope or you cannot secure tax with a bishop or a cardinal.

Good point

sdric wrote:
- Eventually you can sell your good harvest/good weather to the pope to split the bonus in two.

Good whatever is only for one Bishopric. No Pope will buy such card if he can get all your mills $.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Mattray
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallensteinwojtek wrote:
[q="sdric"]
Good whatever is only for one Bishopric. No Pope will buy such card if he can get all your mills $.

Say there are 4 mills on the bishopric.
4*2 = 8 income.
with a good weather bonus, + 4

So if you sell the good weather card to the pope for 2, he will gain 4 for the bonus income (if he plays a tax card) - 2 for buying the card, so a gain of 2 , and you 2 for selling the card.

Winner-winner. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.