Popular Tags: [View All]
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to start a thread where people can throw in ideas for new fan made tiles and discuss them. I'll start by showing you my ideas:

I was thinking of how it would be nice if there was a way to make other players place resources in your village. So I've come up with a few tiles that could do that:

Tool forge: place one iron on the tile and get one tool of choice.
Carpenters guild: Place two wood on the tile and get two meeples.
Statue makers workshop: Place one stone on the tile and get one gold.

Oviously a worker must also be placed on the tiles when you use them. If you have these in your own village and send your own workers to them you will need to first move the resources there, and you will not keep the resources you spend, they will go to the supply. If people go to these tiles while they are in the market, the resources stay on the tile and go to whoever wins the auction for that tile, just like the meeples on the tile. I think these would fit best in as summer tiles.
EDIT: if you send a meeple to one of these tiles in another player's village, the resources you use can come from anywhere in your village.

Any thoughts on these? If they are imbalanced, how can they be fixed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Are you creating a new way to move previously created resources? Currently that requires a transport tile such as the home tiles.

I presume you must have the resource available in your village or you can't play a worker to activate these tile. Even if you would be willing to take nothing just to prevent someone else from activating the tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No special rules for these tiles except what I wrote, so resources has to be moved with the homes and other transport tiles as normal. Just like with other keyflower tiles, you must be able to use the tile to place a meeple there, so players without the right resources will not be able to send a meeple to them. This part of the rulebook is quite open, but I always play that way, and this thread has the game designer suggesting it is the right way to play. Gold is allowed as replacement for any resource as normal.

One thing I should clarify in is that if you send a meeple to one of these tiles in another player's village, the resources you use can come from anywhere in your village. I think these tiles would be a little too hard to use if the resources had to be moved to your home first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Is this another way of saying what the tile does?

Tool forge: place one iron on the tile Spend one iron from this tile and get one tool of choice.

If you place a resource on this tile, may I activate this tile and spend the resource you placed on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really, visiting players have to place a resource on the tile to use it, even if it's full of resources. This also applies when it's in the market, so it could get a few resources on it before it's bought. I can see how it is confusing that it works different for the owner than for visitors though, but I don't think it is so confusing it needs to change.

Half the point of these is to create a way to accumulate resources from other players, as well as provide a way of using resources you don't need for other stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea for a new tile:

Recruitment office: Each time this tile is used, choose an opponent. That opponent must give you one meeple from his/her supply, this meeple is added to your supply. This is a weak meeple earner, but can be powerful when used at the right moment against the right player. And it will of course be very good in 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have an idea fleshed out, but I recently played and had situations come up where I needed a yellow or blue meeple, but drew red. Needed a saw, but drew something else. This happened like 5+ times in a row. I finally ran out of options and lost by over 20 points. All because of luck of the draw. It would be nice to have tiles that let you sacrifice something, even to other players perhaps, to get something you need. The taste left in my mouth after my last game was that this is actually one of the most random games I own, and it went down considerably in my opinion (it had been very high). It would be nice to lower the random luck factor in Keyflower and I've seen some tile suggestions here that would do that. My 2 cents. I love the game otherwise, love the bidding, the placement mechanics, etc.

What I was doing was trying to get my winter tile that gives you 10 points per set of 3 resource tiles to work for me. In the end, I had 2 saws, about 15 anvils and 10 pick axes or whatever they are (not looking at it right now). I tried 20 ways to Sunday to get more saws and just. Couldn't. Do it. Every draw. Anvil. Ahhhhhh!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point! Sometimes you just can't get the stuff you need, and there's nothing to do about it. Having an expensive way of getting specific tools and meeples would be good I think. You never know what tiles are going to be in the game of course, so maybe this could be dealt with some other way. Letting people trade any 3 tools into one tool of choice at any time maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Haakon Gaarder wrote:
Letting people trade any 3 tools into one tool of choice at any time maybe?

Using any 2 as a substitute for a specific 1 sounds expensive enough to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PeterHendee wrote:
Haakon Gaarder wrote:

Really? Trading 2-1 seemed relatively cheap to me, considering how valuable tools can be and how important the risk associated with blind draws is in tempering that value. (Probably worth checking here to ensure everyone plays correctly with face-up tiles on their boats.)

Having some way to mitigate luck and convert extra tiles doesn't sound like a bad option... but a simple 2-1 trade rule available to everyone isn't the way I'd approach it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newuser wrote:
PeterHendee wrote:
Haakon Gaarder wrote:

Really? Trading 2-1 seemed relatively cheap to me, considering how valuable tools can be and how important the risk associated with blind draws is in tempering that value. (Probably worth checking here to ensure everyone plays correctly with face-up tiles on their boats.)

Having some way to mitigate luck and convert extra tiles doesn't sound like a bad option... but a simple 2-1 trade rule available to everyone isn't the way I'd approach it.

Yes, 2 to 1 would be too cheap, considering how expensive tools are in general. 3 to 1 feels more right. Perhaps a meeple should be put in the bag as well when doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.