Popular Tags: [View All]
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe many of the popular commercial games you see today borrow elements from existing games.

I want to hear some stories/accounts of experiments done by game designers with game components from multiple games in creating a Frankengame. I'm sure many of the games that came about from these experiments are better left forgotten, but I can't help but believe that some of these experiments created something that was good if not excellent.

I am in the process of mashing up multiple copies of Rage with Risk. At this point, I am looking to introduce bidding on turn order, deck building, and replacing dice based combat resolution with cards.

I appreciate any and all opinions/comments/accounts on what others have experienced or witnessed in addition to what they may think or feel towards what I am trying to achieve.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1171016/replace-dice-wit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some 20-odd years ago my friends and I played a lot of Risk, and of course we messed around with variants and homebrew additions. Over the years, if we owned a game, it's a good bet we tried to incorporate bits of it at some point into our big, unwieldy, mashup version of Risk. Some of the more successful additions included elements of Borderlands (resources, unit types, supply lines), Market Madness (free market, money), Supremacy (nukes), and Diplomacy (supply centers). I'm sure there was a lot more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesomeness! I think RISK is such a perfect game to try mashing other games with. The nice sized map with all the little bits that it comes with and the territory cards are just begging for a designer to do something else with it.

I might get a bit crazy and do some more overhauling of the game. I think it would be interesting to create a resource management aspect to the game. It would be easy enough to use bits from Ingenious Challenges along with RISK as well. The little tile bits could be used to represent different resources. The cards could be used for trading the resources that are collected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many years ago, my best friend and I gene-spliced an economic system based on Third Reich, the variable year/turn length of World in Flames, and the simple line-up-the-fleets-and-whale-away combat system of Victory in the Pacific to come up a light 4X game before 4X games were cool. We also tossed in some elements of StarFleet Battles, Squad Leader, and others, plus a bunch of stuff of our own. Believe it or not, it was actually playable, if somewhat complex. At least, our gaming group liked it. Eventually, it fell victim to an ever-growing rulebook, and of course, technology went blitzing past, placing the best 4X space games onto the computer.

My favorite part was that you printed out the ship counters as you built them in game, so you got to not only design, but also name every ship in your fleet. My friend Rick built a trio of dreadnaughts named Moe, Larry, and Curly. How is that not fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franks Body
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I got really excited when I saw this thread. But it's not about games in Frankenstein's world.
Still, quite a fascinating theme.
I'll be interested to see where this thread goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankensteins Body wrote:
I got really excited when I saw this thread. But it's not about games in Frankenstein's world.
Still, quite a fascinating theme.
I'll be interested to see where this thread goes.

Sorry to let you down, but I think a game like Copycat, that pulls many mechanics from other popular games, could be cool with a Frankenstein theme. Obviously Copycat would need more than a retheming if it were to be made into a Frankenstein type game, but you know what I'm trying to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.