Popular Tags: [View All]
N. R.
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Point A - shotglasses
Point B - Stirling
Point C - RETIRED SPOOK (aka Spy, aka Archer in 40 years with grey hair)

Coincidence? I think not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be more convinced if his first name was Randy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
So he was a corporate spy in his youth, his bumbling actions led to the design of Archer, and he regretted his actions in retirement so much that he dropped 'Archer' to dissociate himself from it?

(Never watched Archer, don't know if this sounds plausible)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aero saucer
msg tools
The whisky glass in hand is the kicker. It's 100% meant to be a reference to Stirling Archer.

And I can't believe I never read the flavor text to Archer before - it references "the danger zone" which is one of Stirling's recurring gags on the show. As a huge fan of the show, I also concur that it's likely Stirling was involved in the Archer ICE's creation before retiring and becoming a runner.

He would 100% end up working for Weyland, if only because he'd think an elevator to the moon is, like, the third awesomest thing ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
"I was the first to recognize the potential of the enormous overcoat as a tactical garment." -Iain Stirling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarquelne
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
aerosaucer wrote:
He would 100% end up working for Weyland, if only because he'd think an elevator to the moon is, like, the third awesomest thing ever.

"Hey! HEY! Watch what happens when I drop this penny."

He worked for NBN first, but so many cameras, so many starlets, so many lawsuits.

When Jinteki tried making an S.Archer clone series they lost their facility in São Paulo to the Brazilian mob. And pirates.

Haas-Bioroid tried making an Archer-pattern bioroid, but it kept insisting it could do two things security bioroids just can't do.

If Archer were a runner the ability would be something like...

1 credit: Prevent 1 meat damage.

This credit must be paid by your mother.

(Lana: Your maximum hand size is increased by 1.
Cheryl: Start the game with 10 credits.
Pam: Forfeit an Agenda: Ignore all damage for the remainder of the turn. Punch your opponent.
Krieger: Once per game you may install an AI program for 0 cost. This program requires 0 memory. You're married - lose all credits if the program is trashed.
Cyril: Once per turn, when the Corp gains more than 2 credits, gain 1 credit. Influence 10.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a single thumb for my joke about his favorite fake name? Screw you guys...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:

BGG giveth and BGG taketh away...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
radynski wrote:

BGG giveth and BGG taketh away...

Mostly just taketh away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:

I almost took my thumb back after seeing you complained about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My assumption is that his name is a quadruple reference of sorts. Each name referencing both something spy related and something science fiction related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Fleming
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Banks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Sterling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_Archer

I especially think that the names are nods to Ian Flaming and Bruce Sterling, who revolutionized the spy novel and helped define the cyberpunk genre respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that the spelling is Stirling, not Sterling, I think its most reasonable to conclude that its a reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._M._Stirling

Probably not to Archer, or Bruce Sterling. (Though Bruce has the cyberpunnk connection going for him).

Iain spelled with the extra i is pretty clearly a reference to Iain Banks, imo.

Of course, it could simply be a reference to all of them, as others have suggested. Can anyone find some more connections from the flavor texts, to one of the other figures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Given that the spelling is Stirling, not Sterling, I think its most reasonable to conclude that its a reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._M._Stirling

Very bold hair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

Probably not to Archer, or Bruce Sterling. (Though Bruce has the cyberpunnk connection going for him).

Of course, it could simply be a reference to all of them, as others have suggested. Can anyone find some more connections from the flavor texts, to one of the other figures?

Yeah, I decided to put less weight into spelling as an indicator of allusion, since it can be changed as a stylistic choice. For instance, my mother has told me my first name (Mychal) was given to me in honor of someone else, but she decided to spell it in a unique way instead of the same way as the person I'm named after (Michael).

Bruce Sterling seems much more likely than S.M. Stirling to me, because although both wrote sci-fi, the former was a huge influence specifically in defining the cyberpunk genre. I almost included S.M. Stirling in my post, and it is possible that the name is a reference to both, but Bruce stands out to me as far more relevant of the two.

Edit: I also think that Iain is likely at least partially in reference to Ian Fleming, despite the different spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren B
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

They both write a similar style epic hard sci-fi. Makes sense you'd group them together in one personality. But their characters aren't really "spies," with the exception of the main character from Use of Weapons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Duncan
United Kingdom
Ellon
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never noticed the significance of the 'danger zone' bit before, that's awesome. Also, it was only a couple of days ago that I realised Sharpshooter was killing Archer. Such reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
legroove wrote:
I'd never noticed the significance of the 'danger zone' bit before, that's awesome. Also, it was only a couple of days ago that I realised Sharpshooter was killing Archer. Such reference.

I do love the connection between Sharpshooter and Archer, it's like the designers are saying: "How much clearer do we have to make it?" with their counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He ended up looking a little Woodhouse-like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mills
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not cirrhosis-y enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarquelne wrote:
aerosaucer wrote:

"Hey! HEY! Watch what happens when I drop this penny."

He worked for NBN first, but so many cameras, so many starlets, so many lawsuits.

When Jinteki tried making an S.Archer clone series they lost their facility in São Paulo to the Brazilian mob. And pirates.

Haas-Bioroid tried making an Archer-pattern bioroid, but it kept insisting it could do two things security bioroids just can't do.

If Archer were a runner the ability would be something like...

1 credit: Prevent 1 meat damage.

This credit must be paid by your mother.

(Lana: Your maximum hand size is increased by 1.
Cheryl: Start the game with 10 credits.
Pam: Forfeit an Agenda: Ignore all damage for the remainder of the turn. Punch your opponent.
Krieger: Once per game you may install an AI program for 0 cost. This program requires 0 memory. You're married - lose all credits if the program is trashed.
Cyril: Once per turn, when the Corp gains more than 2 credits, gain 1 credit. Influence 10.)

Funny and thematic ideas. Although I just think it would be more accurate to have Archer's ability be, "Cannot lose the game due to meat damage", since it's basically impossible to kill him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.