Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: What's the deal with the play mats? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom
United States
flag msg tools
(said as Seinfeld as possible)

I got out of CCGs in about 2006, and got into Netrunner two weeks ago.

The store I go to has a decent sized playgroup (10-15 people). It seems everyone covets thier playmats. I also feel a little behind the power curve not having one.

I also hear of people selling them for big money.

Are playmats a new fad? I get it makes picking up cards easier, but it also seems more like a status symbol than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
YourHero wrote:
(said as Seinfeld as possible)

I got out of CCGs in about 2006, and got into Netrunner two weeks ago.

The store I go to has a decent sized playgroup (10-15 people). It seems everyone covets thier playmats. I also feel a little behind the power curve not having one.

I also hear of people selling them for big money.

Are playmats a new fad? I get it makes picking up cards easier, but it also seems more like a status symbol than anything else.

Yes, playmats are a new fad. I was active in (non-MTG) CCGS from 1994 to 2008 and virtually nobody I knew played with them. In Netrunner, they are a bit of a status symbol since the only way to get a Netrunner Playmat is as a tournament prize (or on eBay). While I myself am not enamoured enough of them to buy one, I do bring both of mine whenever I play Netrunner since they provide a nice way of defining your personal space and they make the tabletop both cleaner and spongier, which makes flipping Corp cards over in particular and moving cards around in general easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure status is part of it, you mainly get these by playing the game well. You plop one down and some people might get intimidated. Luckily I'm not that great at the game so regardless of what people are using I know I won't do that great.

I actually made my own custom playmat (well I made the art and a friend had it made for me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got some playmate for various LCGs, but I don't use them that often. Not because they aren't nice or whatever, it's just more junk to haul around and frankly my game crate is already heavy enough! Mostly to me they're just some neat collectable artwork. Most of the people I play against have at least one so there's no real intimidation factor, especially since you can just buy them.

I'm more likely to bring one for a tournament simply because I know what game I'll be playing, I can pick out the matching mat, and I won't have to carry a lot of other stuff. On normal game nights though I bring lots of games and don't always know what I'll be playing ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE playmats. Playmats are awesome. It's not about the status symbol for me (they're easy enough to acquire, with some rare exceptions like the Icebreaker tournament ones). They're just ... pretty. Pretty, shiny things to collect. You can spread them on your bed and roll in them while laughing maniacally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
You can spread them on your bed and roll in them while laughing maniacally.

Has the added benefit of discouraging people from borrowing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
They prevent gunk from building up on your sleeves which is pretty nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who is a totally casual player but is sometimes frustrated by how hard cards can be to pick up off a table - what playmats at CSI/Amazon do people recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Galbraith
Canada
Lower Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:
As someone who is a totally casual player but is sometimes frustrated by how hard cards can be to pick up off a table - what playmats at CSI/Amazon do people recommend?

Second me as frustrated... though it would probably be cheaper for me to finally buy some deck protectors rather than a play mat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Peters
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://www.inkedplaymats.com/

is great for getting custom playmats of anything you like. Otherwise walk into your FLGS and they should have plenty to chose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:

If you are going generic, go with InkedPlaymats: http://www.inkedplaymats.com/collections/netrunner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Twitch_City wrote:
reitoei wrote:

If you are going generic, go with InkedPlaymats: http://www.inkedplaymats.com/collections/netrunner

I'm especially partial to "Frontier" - despite having all of the playmats starting with the 2013 regionals (chronos tour excepted!)

When someone asks me about it - I'll tell them its thematically appropriate because I only play mono-Darwin.

MINDGAMES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Barrett
United States
Schaumburg
IL
flag msg tools
mbmb
They are less a status symbol, and more a badge of honor. I always play with a mat, and after selling all of my promos (cards and playmats) after worlds last year - the first thing I bought after my hiatus was done was a $4 plain grey playmat.

If you have any respect for your cards, you should use a mat!

All that being said, I am a huge douchebag who constantly makes hand gestures like a birthday party magician while playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second the Frontier recommendation, beautiful playmat and a great opportunity to support Adam S. Doyle, one of the illustrators for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks - I'll probably buy something from Inked soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
...this thread makes me want to play a Jinteki deck with a welcome mat playmat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Neuvost
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're at least a LITTLE bit of a status symbol, I'd suggest. Unless you eBay'd for it, most Netrunner playmats are tournament trophies. When I lay out a playmat before we start our game I'm informing you that I've won a tournament. Of course, tournaments happen all the time and lots'a people have a playmat or two, so I stopped finding them intimidating relatively soon after joining the NYC community. I've found that lots of people who I know have many playmats often don't play with them, because they're too cool for school or maybe don't want to show off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Epperson

Tennessee
msg tools
If you have a store that cleans their tables then playmats are not necessary. But, from my experience, tabletops at game stores are gross.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
sonatinas wrote:
If you have a store that cleans their tables then playmats are not necessary. But, from my experience, tabletops at game stores are gross.

It's also easier to pick up your cards / tokens off the surface because of the give of the mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:

It's also easier to pick up your cards / tokens off the surface because of the give of the mat.

That's my main reason for using one. With sleeved cards, it's not too bad without one, but it certainly makes it easier in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Harkness
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I just think its a cool way to customize the experience a little, and a fun way to get rewarded for tournament play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Osborn
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my playmats and I almost never use them. What tends to happen more often than not is, I will get in the cut, use the mat for the rest of the tournament, tube it up, and then just admire it in the tube.

From time to time, I'll put them all together, and go, "yup!"

My favorite is the one that my wife got at a regionals last year. It's the core set art with masque. I never see them so I love that I have one. But I don't dare use it, because the one tournament I took it to I lost. Hard! Not like, oh man it was tough competition today...I lost to a new guy who just started playing. In one game my first turn was sure gamble, makers eye, fetal, snare, fetal.

I think it knows that it belongs to my wife. So I just look at that one, but I don't use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a pair of nice playmats made before inkedplaymats got all legal and proper about artwork (from the image in here). They are a bit of a status symbol to show how much I like Netrunner, but they are also functional for teaching as they show all the areas, actions, etc.

If I had one of the tournament ones I would totally use it as a status symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use my playmat for reasons already mentioned in this thread- It keeps my sleeves cleaner longer, and it's easier to pick up tokens and cards (I find this especially useful as the corp when rezzing a card).

Also, I like having a pretty piece of art to look at during the game. I actually just traded my "more valuable" Project Beale mat for a "less valuable" Wotan mat simply because I prefer the art aesthetically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bezanson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The art on them is typically cool but the advertisments (which they basically are) and descriptors turn me off as they take away from the beauty or coolness of the piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.