Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people have characterized Warhammer: Diskwars as being "light". However, many have also mentioned the strategy and tactics found in the game.

How light is the game? Please describe what you mean by "light" as well: I would use the word to mean "not much to ponder over during the game", but any remark based on other definitions of "light" is very much welcome too. I tend to prefer games that can use some constant thinking, and I am wondering if Warhammer: Diskwars offers this possibility…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
Many people have characterized Warhammer: Diskwars as being "light". However, many have also mentioned the strategy and tactics found in the game.

How light is the game? Please describe what you mean by "light" as well: I would use the word to mean "not much to ponder over during the game", but any remark based on other definitions of "light" are very much welcome too. I tend to prefer games that can use some constant thinking, and I am wondering if Warhammer: Diskwars offers this possibility…

I would not consider this game a light game. Perhaps if compared to Warhammer Miniatures, you could make the argument. But on it's own, it's has a lot to consider before and during gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is certainly a lot to think about in this game, and things happen fast, so thinking quickly is important.

My guess is that when people say 'light' they are referring to two things. One, the density of the rules. The rules in this game are much shorter and easier to digest than a traditional tabletop mini's game. Also they may be referring to the cost. Currently you can own every army in the game for $40 or less (most online retailers have it for $30). If you want fuller customization options, you could double that. When the expansions come out in June, that will add another $60 msrp to the cost (surely cheaper online) for both expansions. Again, most likely double for full building options. Which is significantly cheaper than getting into an average mini's game.

Strategy in this game can be very deep and complex, so that part isn't light at all, however the rules are very accessible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above comments and add the following. It is light in the way that many CCGs and LCGS are light. When you look at the rulebook there is not a lot to remember and the mechanisms are pretty straight forward.

The depth comes form the special powers and abilities of the various disks and the command cards. This can lead to excruciating decisions as you try to balance out what yo want to achieve while taking into account what your opponent might have coming at you with his card play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a miniatures gamer, I've never played Warhammer because the entry cost and the complex rules intimidated me. I am however a boardgamer, so that will influence my point of view.

For me a "Light" game is a game that has the following qualities:

d10-1Short playing time.
d10-2Easy to learn and teach.

In that light Warhammer Diskwars isn't a light game. Teaching the game is lengthy, and until you know the game very well it requires at least 80-90 minutes (at least in my experience).

WHDW does however have a lot of strategic depth: there are a lot of decisions to make, both before and during the game. And since the game isn't very luck dependant (except for ranged attacks and little else) those decisions are probably going to determine who wins the game.

I would point you to a playthrough but unfortunately all of the ones I found online aren't good to showcase the game, because the players don't know the game well enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Uqj8jvtBo has a fairly good overview video up that's worth checking out.

I'd say it's probably rules medium. The core rules are marginally more complex then X-Wing - which I would consider rules light. As others have said the complexity of the game comes from the various exceptions created from the individual unit abilities, much like a CCG. Once you have the rules down there is still a lot of depth to the game in terms of strategy and tactics. This is a game that you can spend a lot of time learning the tricks and tactics too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Which video did you link Chris? I can't open it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I measure light by two factors, the complexity and number of the basic calculations you need to make in play and the number of rules you must keep in minds.

Diskwars is fairly light on both. It does have a lot more depth than it looks but I wouldn’t' say that it's extremely deep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
Which video did you link Chris? I can't open it...

I just put the link in, the embedded apparently isn't working. But it's the one FFG has on their site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are two definitions of light we are discussing here:

Rules wise, Diskwars is light in that it's relatively easy to teach and once you know the rules, you will hardly ever run into complicated questions that require one to look up answers. Compared to most miniature games and most wargames, this makes it very light.

Play wise, the game isn't light at all. There are all the elements of a traditional war game at play. Terrain, army composition, maneuvering, objectives, risk assessment, short term and long term planning, etc.

I prefer to think of Diskwars as streamlined, not light. It has almost all of the elements of a traditional wargame, but in an accessible format and taking advantage of some unique gameplay options offered by the disks.

Now, for some people, complicated rulesets with tons of exceptions and special rulings will always be considered "deeper", and while I'm not out to disagree, I will say I've never held that opinion. A simple ruleset can accomplish a lot and can create challenging, thoughtful, and rewarding games.

Warhammer Diskwars is one of those games. I have played it many times, and the strategies are diverse and satisfying. The game is fast and furious, but it definitely rewards strategic planning. It is one of the best wargames I have ever played, and while I'll admit I'm not a huge wargammer (mostly because of the expense. I'm not frightened by complicated rules), I find Diskwars to be a crackerjack wargame experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules wise, light.

Intricacies of play: WAY deeper than something of this size ruleset usually has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.