Hide
16 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Buy now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wood
msg tools
With boosters being sold out and in high demand, should I try to buy singles to fill out my set (on rares, I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for a gobby) before the prices get high. That is, will they increase significantly in price before reprints hit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Prices will probably go down as supply goes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
Prices will probably go down as supply goes up.

Who knows about prices for the Super Rares, but I agree on everything else. I would absolutely not buy a rare for 9 bucks or whatever it is right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpw116 wrote:
With boosters being sold out and in high demand, should I try to buy singles to fill out my set (on rares, I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for a gobby) before the prices get high. That is, will they increase significantly in price before reprints hit?

I guess it depends how much you need. My wife and I were able to buy the few rares we still needed from CSI for less than the cost of another gravity feed (assuming they were available), so that made the most sense to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpw116 wrote:

Demand is significantly exceeding supply all over for this game. I wouldn't buy any singles over Uncommon rarity before the 3rd reprint in June/July hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't wait 2 weeks, then yes, buy now. Otherwise, there will be some more then...and plenty in August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope people don't give in to these ridiculous prices for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply NO. I don't undestand why all this rush to buy starters, boosters and single only because the producer has made a HUGE mistake in production numbers.

In this way people will only make the interest of the smart guys and shops that keeps waiting to make extra profit on gamers shoulders.

Reprint is already in progress, next set is already scheduled, why paying so much? There is no big money prize championship and the game is not OOP.

I still remember the game author writing about how they packaged this not to be the usual "Collectible Money Sink" and the result seems to be the exact opposite.

I hope he can post asking ppl to wait and not to throw money at the usual exploiters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ford
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Realistically you only need a complete set if you plan on going to tournaments and want all the options or you are a collector and want a perfect set.

If you have tournaments starting up locally then it might be worth buying the specific rares/SRs you want on your team but it's going to be at a premium price until more packs are released into the market.

If you are collecting I would wait. There's no worry of the set going out of print (at least I haven't heard of a limited print run) so as the market gets more saturated the price will drop.

I was missing 21 cards (2 uncommons, 3 SRs and 16 rares) after 2 GFs. I printed labels and stuck them on extra commons of the heroes I was missing and sleeved the lot. Worked out very well; For casual play with my friends we can try out everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpw116 wrote:

Why would you be filling out your set?

If it's just to fill out your set . . . I'd wait (I am waiting).

If it's because you're doing some organized play, or in some other situation where you need cards and dice to fill out your roster . . . either wait (I'm waiting) or buy the minimum you can buy.

I'd be stunned if prices didn't go down. Plus, as more stuff gets into more people's hands, I feel trading for the cards people are looking for is going to become much bigger.

Basically, unless you have a time sensitivity, I'd wait (I am).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Roberts
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I agree if you can wait, wait...things will get cheaper when ever that wave of reprint boosters comes out, the game is older and people will be eager for the expansion.

I think the issue right now is no one knows how long it will be before the boosters get back in stock (unless something changed). The release from Wizkids put it in May/June for STARTERS and July for BOOSTERS for the 1st reprint.

The great thing about this is that you don't need 60 Rare/Super rare cards to have fun and win games. Sure some help some builds but nothing right now is unbeatable and my personal setup has only 1 rare (Loki) out of 8 with all 132 to build off of.

If you need/want it now find a price something your not going to hate yourself for and just enjoy the game, because in the end its just a game that should be fun. If every time you look at your cards you think about the money they cost then your going to not have fun playing and eventually stop and move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Bunker
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scarcity issue on this game, and the prices being commanded, is confusing to me. I picked up three copies of the base set and a whole gravity feed at a store just the other day. I guess I didn't realize this game was in such demand everywhere else. I'm sure everyone else will be able to get theirs fairly soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aerosailor wrote:
The scarcity issue on this game, and the prices being commanded, is confusing to me. I picked up three copies of the base set and a whole gravity feed at a store just the other day. I guess I didn't realize this game was in such demand everywhere else. I'm sure everyone else will be able to get theirs fairly soon.

Apparently, they supplied Washington state with plenty, but not much here in Maryland! Oh wait...isn't that where Wizards of the Coast is? Maybe they want to steal the MTG crowd from WOTC!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walker
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nighthawk326 wrote:
aerosailor wrote:

Apparently, they supplied Washington state with plenty, but not much here in Maryland! Oh wait...isn't that where Wizards of the Coast is? Maybe they want to steal the MTG crowd from WOTC!

I think it's an issue of the retailers in the Pacific Northwest. We (I'm in Idaho) have a variety of retailers carrying the product. In addition to the FLGS, we have Target, Hastings, and Fred Meyer (a Kroger based grocery and retail store) all carrying the product. And while many knew to look at Hastings or Target, there wasn't the rush on Fred Meyer. That said, I've yet to see it in a Target here, has sold out at Hastings and the FLGS, and it is mostly gone in the Fred Meyer stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin sayers
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
yeah, coolstuffinc.com has singles for up to $65 a card for black widow. thats ridiculous, and just one more reason why i quit shopping at coolstuff and went to miniatures market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Bunker
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to say it but in my first 10 boosters I pulled a "Tsarina" ultra rare. Seeing the prices of those online makes me wonder what kind of monster we are breeding here. Hopefully the prices come down with more availability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.