The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Costly journey down the Anduin (2 handed solo) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I sat down to run the Journey down the Anduin before work and to my surprise I was able to finish it in 6 turns.

A couple key factors impacted the game and I'll describe them in brief detail. I played 2 handed solo as I've been getting completely stomped by that starting Hill Troll whenever I've played solo. With two parties of adventurers I figured I had a better chance.

I just play with the core set at this time. I have the first 6 adventure packs but I haven't delved into them yet.

My adventuring parties consisted of:

- Eowyn, Glorfindel and Denethor in a Lore/Spirit deck.
- Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli in a Tactics/Leadership deck.

The party was successful in its quest, but not without losses. I'll go over the highlights:

Dealing with that opening Hill Troll is key to getting a good foothold in this quest. In this instance, Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn engaged the Troll, using a Feint to prevent it from attacking. This confused the Hill Troll and next turn it stumbled into a forest snare, sealing its fate and keeping the heroes safe. A Veteran Axehand saw the heroes and immediately rushed in to help. Legolas used his Blade of Gondolin to help deliver the final blow.

The party heard rumor that Faramir was in the area and hoped to enlist his aid. However, events transpired forcing the party to take a quick detour through the Necromancer's Pass, and they were unable to find him. (didn't want to go there and I did not get the discard I wanted, but I had to get rid of location threat in the staging area)

The journey down the Anduin itself was fairly uneventful, a few potential detours (read low threat locations) were revealed and even a goblin sniper poked his head out, but as he was alone he was quickly dealt with.

The party still took damage while going down the Anduin via The Necromancer's Reach which hit during an Evil Storm.

When the party shored up at the end of the Anduin, they were ambushed. A party of Dol Guldor Orcs jumped out with a second Goblin Sniper joining the fray. They tried to warn the mighty Glorfindel, but the Orcs cut him down before he realized what was happening (horrible forced trigger!) The party knew they had to act fast or else things could go south quick. Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas engaged the Orcs while the Sniper was drawn to Denethor and Eowyn.

The Veteran Axehand displayed his defensive (axe)Blade Mastery holding off the Orcs while Gimli pounded them. Both characters exhausted, Denethor looked up in time to see the Sniper aiming his arrow at Eowyn. Denethor pushed her out of the way and took the arrow undefended. It was a fatal blow. Legolas acted quick and dispatched the Goblin Sniper, ending the battle and finishing this leg of the quest. The Journey down the Anduin was successful, but at a terrible cost.

It was a fun game and it got real tough at the end. I knew I had to win that turn or else things would get ugly. Aragorn had quested that turn, but couldn't spend a resource to ready as he had paid for Celebrian's Stone. Otherwise he could have Sentinel blocked the Sniper and Denethor would have survived.

Final score for the game was 170. Probably not the best, but for not having tried the mission in a long time I'll take it. Much better than the brutal loss that happened last night!

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed the report!

(Story wise it will turn out that Denethor and Glorfindel were only severely injured. After their wounds are recovered, they will venture back home only to have one of their own imprisoned in Dol Guldor along the way! A daring rescue will ensue! What will happen? Stay tuned!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correction, final score was actually 159. Forgot to subtract victory points for the Hill Troll, Chieftan Ufthak and the Gladden Fields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Nice of Denethor to look out for his future daughter-in-law I remember smashing my face into that quest over and over and over. It's pretty difficult with just the Core Set cards. To this day, any One Deck to Rule Them All must have a starting threat below 30 or a plan for dealing with that Hill Troll on the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much. I'm thinking I've struggled through it enough with core set cards (2 wins, 2-3 losses, lost count lol) and it's time to open up my adventure packs and get them involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this last night - two handed straight core Tactics and Spirit decks.

First game was a breeze and I also scored 159 in 5 rounds.
It is so good when cards come out just when you need them to.

Game two on the other hand was brutal - I got smashed and in the final round tactics deck hit 50 and was finished, spirit deck finished the game - the score was well over 200 with blood everywhere.

This game is so much fun !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In retrospect I had a very lucky evening....
I am getting butt seriously kicked by this quest now.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man I drew the double hill troll start last might.

Managed to battle my way through but it meant I could not get to the end. Tried valiantly though....

I feel I am getting close to moving away from the set sphere decks to start deck building/mix and matching
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.