Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Billaud
France
La roche sur yon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentlemen,

As other veterans of this beautifull game, I think it needs some penalties to discourage reattempt. Here is my try.

You only earn experience points from your first attempt.

So do your best to reach that damn objective and control cards on the first try. Every other attempt could be a bloodbath without gaining anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the missions can be lost due to luck, so I think this would, for the most part, break the game. It's impossible to win sometimes when you get a counterattack on the second to last draw (enemy HQ event), and you just need to tuck tail and run for the next attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only that: some of the missions were fought _historically_ on a couple of days. Why do you want to discourage reattempts?

I think the problem is terminology: it shouldn't be called re-attempt.

What if the Mission booklet said: "allocated time" and each 10 turns where a day?
You would organically organize your attack over a couple of days, not worrying about "reattempts" or whatnot. Not only that: gaining experience after a day of battle would feel right.

Add to that some rules for "extended fighting" and the counter-attacks become less of a problem.
Of course, you'd need kind of a "weather" chart for each mission but you already have something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if ben would be amenable to such a small change: I think it would make the whole reattempts thing more intuitive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Billaud
France
La roche sur yon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with you but Ithink the game needs more penalties for lasting an offensive.

For example , you may attempt the first mission in korea 4 times. It s about 1,25 rows to conquer each attempt. It s very easy. (Even if the whole campaign is a major challenge).

Actually, for me the attempts adds some gamey tactics, turtle the offensuve fo gain some XP.

Your historical counterpart didn t know how many days they need to reach the objective, everybody tried to do his best.

And now, I m very experienced with the game, I didn t lose a game for a while.

But it s a solo game, so everybody can "fix" it the way he wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
often wrote:
Some of the missions can be lost due to luck, so I think this would, for the most part, break the game. It's impossible to win sometimes when you get a counterattack on the second to last draw (enemy HQ event), and you just need to tuck tail and run for the next attempt.

that never happens !!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
often wrote:

that never always happens !!!!

Fixed that for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you want to encourage finishing a scenario on the first attempt, I think the proper way to do this would be to make the number of reattempts random so that you can't plan to only take 1 row per attempt in advance.
The player only finds out if he gets a reattempt or not, after the day's action is over.

But only for situations in which the higher ups expected things to be done in one day and it ends up taking longer than expected along the entire front.

If the company knows in advance that the mission is expected to take multiple days, then by all means share that with the player from the outset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solea wrote:

Actually, for me the attempts adds some gamey tactics, turtle the offensuve fo gain some XP.

This is a solo game. If you game the system, you're just cheating yourself. I impose constraints on myself to increase realism. For example, I wont use field phones on offensives - radios only.

I also do everything I can to complete the scenario on the first attempt. The only time I reattempt is if something goes really wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.