Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Bo
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm going to start a game group and I was wanting the experts (you guys) advice on which games I should pick up. I have settlers and Puerto Rico. I am probably going to pick up about 5-6 more games.

Here are the games I'm considering in no particular order.

Le Havre
Russian Railroads
Carcassone
Splendor
Pandemic
7 wonders
Shadows over Camelot
small world
castles of burgundy
citadels
Agricola
stone age
lost cities
citadels
dominion
alhambra
thurn and taxis
power grid

Help me narrow down the list to 5 or 6 must haves.

I'm not really a fan of ticket to ride. I liked it the first few times I played but kind of got burned out on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Pike
United States
Red Bluff
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic-Coop
Agricola-Weighty Euro
Shadows Over Camelot-Traitor Game
Dominion-Deck Builder
Small World-Just Plain Awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players are in your group? What types of games do they like? How much time do you have in your average gaming session?

Tell us anything we can use to identify the games that will fit with your group, otherwise this just becomes an exercise in "What's your favorite game?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bo
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
How many players are in your group? What types of games do they like? How much time do you have in your average gaming session?

Tell us anything we can use to identify the games that will fit with your group, otherwise this just becomes an exercise in "What's your favorite game?"

4-6 people. We all like Euro games. Puerto Rico is one of our favorites right now but we don't have much experience in the ones I listed above. I would just like some diversity in games but not games like monopoly or clue LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bo
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dpike2 wrote:
Pandemic-Coop
Agricola-Weighty Euro
Shadows Over Camelot-Traitor Game
Dominion-Deck Builder
Small World-Just Plain Awesome

also 2-3 hours game time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders
Stone Age
Power Grid
Dominion

I chose these because they have a variety of ideal player numbers, they're not complicated to teach, they're easy to find in OLGS or FLGS.

You have a couple on your list that are just 2-player games or that play best with only two. I skipped those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sticking exclusively to your list...

I'm starting with 3 games that work well with 6 players.

1) Power Grid - This one is a must. One of the few "meaty" games I've played that actually works well with 6.

2) Shadows Over Camelot - I'm not usually a fan of co-op games but this one is pretty good, especially with the traitor possibility in the mix. Also great with 6.

3) 7 Wonders is a no brainer. Plays very quickly, is fun and works great with any number from 3 to 7. Works as the main game of the night several times or to fill in before or after a longer game.

Now with a nice set of options for the full group, the next 3 would be better on nights where not everyone can make it or when splitting up into two groups of 3.

4) Russian Railroads - The "Hotness" A very popular newer game that is supposed to scale well with 2 to 4. I've read the rules and watched the tutorials but haven't played it yet. Looks great though and fills the worker placement niche.

5) Castles of Burgundy - I love most of Stephan Felds games and this is very unique among the rest you've hotlisted. Best with 2 or 3 though.

6) Dominion - I'm not personally a big deck builder fan, but many people love the mechanic and this is still one of the better examples. Different than the rest of the game by far so will be a "fresh" option to turn to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Uhrich
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Cultures: 4x Civ game that supports up to 4 players. This is the one I want to play the most right now.
Terra Mystica: 2-5 player Euro with a hint of civilization building. Challenging and fun.
Cosmic Encounter: With expansions supports up to 8. Direct conflict without having to take the blame!
Eclipse: 4x in space. I will play this game any time. With the expansion, supports up to 9 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic.
Pandemic: On The Brink.
Pandemic: In The Lab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
KBizzle wrote:
So I'm going to start a game group and I was wanting the experts (you guys) advice on which games I should pick up. I have settlers and Puerto Rico. I am probably going to pick up about 5-6 more games.

Here are the games I'm considering in no particular order.

Le Havre
Russian Railroads
Carcassone
Splendor
Pandemic
7 wonders
Shadows over Camelot
small world
castles of burgundy
citadels
Agricola
stone age
lost cities
citadels
dominion
alhambra
thurn and taxis
power grid

Help me narrow down the list to 5 or 6 must haves.

I'm not really a fan of ticket to ride. I liked it the first few times I played but kind of got burned out on it.

There are a huge number of "usual suspects" in here. They crop up a lot becuase they are generally both good and popular, but don't forget how many other games are out there that people at gaming groups you might go to probably WON'T already have...

Ditch Pandemic, look at Freedom: The Underground Railroad instead
Ditch 7 Wonders, look at Seasons
Ditch Stone Age, get Village
Ditch Carcassonne and Alhambra... just because.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I recommend:
Agricola - I cannot recommend this game enough... if you like Euros you'll like this.
Castles of Burgundy - One of the few games I rate a 10. Brilliant.
Russian Railroads - Straight up Euro worker placemnt optimization game that is all the hotness.
Le Havre - I love this game, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it until after you've tried Agricola.
Power Grid - This game can get fairly mathy. It's a great game though. An economic game on the dryer side.
Stone Age - A lighter game compared to the ones above this, but still good.
Pandemic - I'm not much of a co-op guy, but this is my go-to co-op.
7 Wonders - The iconography can be a little hard to get down and some things are a little tricky to keep track of on initial plays (chaining, tech scoring) but a game that will get played often. So much so that I've grown to dread this game. But that's only after 30+ plays.

Games I don't recommend:
Dominion - There are better deck builders out there.
Small World - Fairly basic area control battle game. I never really cared for this.
Lost Cities - Themeless 2 player card game that is boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Horrible advice. Both games stand up very well. Don't be a hipster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Hymas
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
If you enjoy Puerto Rico so much, Race for the Galaxy would be a GREAT pickup for your group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Teixeira
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wassupwolves wrote:
If you enjoy Puerto Rico so much, Race for the Galaxy would be a GREAT pickup for your group!

Are you confusing Puerto Rico with San Juan? The latter has much more in common with RftG, especially in feel. RftG feels nothing like Puerto Rico. I'm a fan of RftG, and would recommend it too, but I'm not sure if it's the OP's type of game. You have to be a fan of card-based games to enjoy it.

As for the OP's question:
Of your list:
Le Havre,
Castles of Burgundy,
Power Grid
Agricola (although I'd likely go with Caverna instead)

They have the most replay value for the style and weight of game you're looking for. I haven't played Russian Railroads or Splendor enough to tell what their longevity is like, but both are solid games.

Off-list recommendations:
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Terra Mystica
El Grande (although you'll have to wait for a reprint)
Concordia
Rococo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone age: just an awesome Euro with a great theme

For the deck builder, I think a great place to start is the DC Deck Builder game. It's easy and fun. Dominion is a bit boring to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bo
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice and taking the time to reply. Y'all have given me a lot to think about. The group will be a new group with friends that don't have a lot of games so the likelihood of someone have any of the games I listed would be slim. I also heard that power grid is a lot of nickel and dimeing at the end so I might not go for that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Power Grid is nickle and diming at the end, it's just that you have to plan ahead. It takes some strategic thinking.

A lot of people like Small World, but make sure your group enjoys conflict with each other. There are also some overpowered elements to the game that make it frustrating for other players at times. I have only played the base game, though. Cosmic Encounter is more my speed when it comes to direct conflict. Most people like it.

I would go with Euphoria for a fresh worker placement game. It's fun.

Get Arctic Scavengers, Core Worlds, Star Realms, or even Ascension for deck builders and skip Dominion. It's expensive to buy all the expansions and there are better choices these days.

Coup or One Night Werewolf would be good choices.

I haven't yet played Concordia, but after seeing Rahdo's run through, I would second that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get your games and your game group up and running, you could also make use of this:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/09/this-amazing-flowchart-will...

It's tongue-in-cheek, but in some ways it's actually useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

It's part of a wider point.

And I'd think a game hipster would ONLY play those. Or rather, only play Settlers and El Grande.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Johnson
United States
Midvale
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from your list, i will recommend the following 6 games:

Russian Railroads, medium weight worker placement where points snowball in such a ridiculous manner that you just shake your head and laugh at (in a "that was cool/fun" kind of way)

7 wonders, everything that's already been said about it. my favorite game to date.

Agricola, heavy worker placement with near limitless variety for replay

Stone Age, worker placement with a press your luck twist in using the dice

Alhambra, super basic rules with surprisingly weighty decisions

and you cited dominion, but I would change that to Eminent Domain. Eminent Domain IMO is a more stream-lined deck builder elegently blended with the role selection that you like from Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Pearson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be instructive to know what you enjoy within Settlers/PR... the trading, negotiation, general player interaction, construction/building towards something, blocking.

Also, is having the ability to directly stop other players important, or would you rather just do you own thing? I've seen both Settlers and Puerto Rico games swing heavily in the directions of "let's just all do our own things and race to the end" and "let's have a grind-it-out slogfest"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

It's part of a wider point.

And I'd think a game hipster would ONLY play those. Or rather, only play Settlers and El Grande.

Yeah I think BGG Hipsters would play either "cult of the old" or print-and-play prototypes of upcoming games by unknown designers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bo
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:
Once you get your games and your game group up and running, you could also make use of this:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/09/this-amazing-flowchart-will...

It's tongue-in-cheek, but in some ways it's actually useful.

Thats pretty funny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bo
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swimmer87 wrote:
I think it would be instructive to know what you enjoy within Settlers/PR... the trading, negotiation, general player interaction, construction/building towards something, blocking.

Also, is having the ability to directly stop other players important, or would you rather just do you own thing? I've seen both Settlers and Puerto Rico games swing heavily in the directions of "let's just all do our own things and race to the end" and "let's have a grind-it-out slogfest"

I like the worker placement of PR and the decisions in which building/factories/plantations to buy.

From what I've read and seen, I think I would really like Le Havre and Russian railroads.

I don't really like the race to the end types. I don't really care one way or another on stopping another player either.

I'm just getting into Euro games so that's why I need y'alls help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a side note this does not belong in the general forum. Mods please move this to recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.