Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Rules

Subject: Global ability sequence question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Watkins

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This may have been answered in another feed but just wanted to verify.

I have a distraction basic action allowing anyone to pull attacker out of attack area to field

My opponent has mr fantastic with pay mask target character must attack.

I enter attack phase, being player with priority I declare attackers

My question is prior to my attackers being declared can my opponent use mask to force an attack or is it after I have declared attackers.

Second if I am in the declare defenders portion and my opponent declared blockers, I remove a attacker by paying a mask, can they pay a mask to cause that character to be moved to attack again?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ford
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of threads on when you can activate the global abilities that force attacks.

My view is you have to activate it in the main step prior to entering attack. In attack you declare attacks, then blockers, then activate global abilities - if someone activates a global that says something must attack it's too late (declare attacks is done).

However if you have something attacking (whether you wanted to choose it to be an attacker or because someone used a global to force it to attack) in the actions part of the attack step you could use Distraction to move it back to your ready area. He can't make it attack again as the declare attackers part of the attack step is done.

Basically makes Distraction a trump to "declare attack" global abilities - but note any ability that triggers on attack or on block would still trigger since both of those happened before distraction was activated. So your guy could already have been KOed or rerolled or whatever other effect triggered. All Distraction would do is move it back to ready before combat damage was dealt.

There are dissenting views on this and without an FAQ I don't claim definitive knowledge that this is how to do it. It makes sense but games don't always make sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ledzhedz wrote:
My question is prior to my attackers being declared can my opponent use mask to force an attack or is it after I have declared attackers.

This one is up for debate, but the most commonly accepted interpretation and the one I subscribe to is that a player must spend the Mask during your main phase before you proceed to your attack step. However, the attack doesn't happen until you go to your combat step and assign attackers; at that point you must attack with the character your opponent paid for.

Ledzhedz wrote:
Second if I am in the declare defenders portion and my opponent declared blockers, I remove a attacker by paying a mask, can they pay a mask to cause that character to be moved to attack again?

Again, its up for debate but the most commonly accepted interpretation holds that they may pay a mask to activate the ability, but it won't help since attackers have already been assigned and no further attackers can be assigned this turn.

This means that the Distraction global kind of "trumps" a forced attack, which is in line with the game's attitude of "can't" trumps "can".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, the accepted rule is that Phoenix/Mr. F abilities translate as "Target character must be assigned as an attacker this turn". Following the rules from there: Attackers are assigned during the "Assign attackers" phase, global effects/abilities CANNOT be triggered during the Assign Attackers or Assign Blockers phase. So, by those reasons, forced attack powers must be used during the main phase to have any effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yup. You can't do a constant back and forth of I pay to bring him up, you pay to pull him back, and on and on until one of us runs out of mask/lightning.

Otherwise the game would become a war of "who rolls the most resources they need wins" most likely.

Also if you could do the back and forth push/pull Loki and Professor X would very rarely survive more than a turn if your opponent just made sure to keep more resources than you and force them to attack more times than you could pull them back.

So yes this is the order as I believe it's designed to be played and how I've been playing it:

1. Use force attack globals in main step.
2. In attack step the forced attackers are moved forward. Then active player can add more attackers if they choose (on attack abilities are triggered)
3. Then blockers are chosen (on block abilities are triggered)
4. Then distraction global can be used to pull back any ATTACKERS (it doesn't work for blockers)
5. Then damage is dealt
6. Then the person with Gobby wins (I kid.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Watkins

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. It's funny I don't think gobby is much better than his common version, but he sure as hell will be with that new promo basic action: burst=take two side kick dice from your used pile and field two sidekicks if * field three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play against him and you'll see why Gobby is better.

Common Goblin - Field him with 3 sidekicks and attack with all 4, your opponent gets a chance to block and best case scenario you'll have done a chunk of damage and now have an empty field.

Gobby - Field him with 3 sidekicks, your opponent takes 3 damage. attack with just gobby, either your opponent takes more damage and sends Gobby to the used pile, or they block him and he stays out, or they block/KO him and you can reroll him next turn. Either way you now have 3-4 dice on the field to block with and 3-4 dice NOT in your bag, which gives you a better chance of drawing another Gobby or something similar.

At first glance it can be seen as "it's either 3 damage or 3 extra attack", but if you look at the benefits to your tempo, Gobby is a beast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.