Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Janeway, Enterprise and flagship rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chip Mullins
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Ok I'll try posting this here. After a lengthy discussion on facebook, with the links below several of us still had a question. It has been ruled (here in the FAQ) that a player CAN use the Flagship "free" action and double it with Janeway receiving an auxiliary power token (APT), then the Enterprise (per its text) can do a "normal" action and Janeway can double it as well, receiving a second APT.

The questions are
1) "Can the Enterprise, with two or more APT's, perform the flagship "free" and ship "normal" action?"
2) If #1 is yes, can Janeway double them again receiving even more APT's?

The Enterprise's text states "The USS Enterprise can perform an Action listed on its Action Bar while it has AN auxiliary power token." One APT not two

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14197217#14197217

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lowthunder wrote:
Ok I'll try posting this here. After a lengthy discussion on facebook, with the links below several of us still had a question. It has been ruled (here in the FAQ) that a player CAN use the Flagship "free" action and double it with Janeway receiving an auxiliary power token (APT), then the Enterprise (per its text) can do a "normal" action and Janeway can double it as well, receiving a second APT.

The questions are
1) "Can the Enterprise, with two or more APT's, perform the flagship "free" and ship "normal" action?"
2) If #1 is yes, can Janeway double them again receiving even more APT's?

The Enterprise's text states "The USS Enterprise can perform an Action listed on its Action Bar while it has AN auxiliary power token." One APT not two

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14197217#14197217

'An' does not mean 'one' in this context. Janeway and the Enterprise can continue to rack up as many APT tokens as you physically have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Janeway's ability is not an action so the number of APT's you have has no bearing on being able to use it, and the Enterprise's ability allows you to do actions from its action bar even if you have APT's (regardless of the number). Since the Flagship action is considered to be from the action bar, doubling both every turn is perfectly valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Dole
msg tools
Here was a reply to a similar question to the one you asked, thumbed up by Andrew Parks.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15624507#15624507

The answer was, "Yes, you can keep taking Action Bar actions with an arbitrary number of aux tokens." Janeway was able to take an extra aux token and action token as normal.

Note that the action you can take does not include upgrade actions, re-enable actions, getting rid of muon actions, transporting trible actions, reinforcement sideboard actions, ejecting warp core actions, putting out console fire actions, or fixing broken equipment actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Mullins
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Bob,
Andrew "thumbed up" one post that stated 'no free actions' and then "thumbed up" the next post saying you can do free actions if it's part of the action bar (specifically for the Eneterprise). Which is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lowthunder wrote:
Bob,
Andrew "thumbed up" one post that stated 'no free actions' and then "thumbed up" the next post saying you can do free actions if it's part of the action bar (specifically for the Eneterprise). Which is it?

It's both. "No free actions" is meant to exclude MOST free actions (i.e. Picard, Dukat, Romulan Pilot, et al.). The flagship card actions are, by definition, from the action bar, so they are an exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braddock West
United States
Rockrimmon
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Illyth wrote:
lowthunder wrote:
Bob,

It's both. "No free actions" is meant to exclude MOST free actions (i.e. Picard, Dukat, Romulan Pilot, et al.). The flagship card actions are, by definition, from the action bar, so they are an exception.

Close but i think you're wrong about picard and dukat. The enterprise ability is "the u.s.s. enterprise can perform an action listed on its action bar while it has an APT."
Andrew answered "yes." to, "USS Enterprise (Constitution Class) says it may perform an action listed on its bar while it has an aux. power token. The new flagship cards make your action on your bar a free action if you already have it. Since the Enterprise does not say "one" or any other restriction, does this mean I can perform the action on my bar that counts as a free action (due to flagship upgrade) and still get to perform another action on the bar with its rule?"
a more clear text might read "the enterprise can perform any action listed on its action bar while it has an APT."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:

(finally, a reason to carry around every expansions aux token!)

I use a red spindown D20 (Magic life counter dice)

Highest number i've hit so far is 14. Wonder if that's the Galactic Record

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gould
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
koku ryu wrote:
alepperd wrote:

Not even close. Not sure how many I have gotten but I tend to stack them next to the card and not the ship just b/c it is such a hassle to move them all. My favorite build at the moment is this.

tinyprise
klingon/ind flagship
Janeway
Admiral kirk
cheat death
cheat death
borg alliance
spock - First Officer
paris - Ops Officer
shelby - Sci Officer
koss
ilia
dorsal phaser array
enhanced hull plating
multi-adaptive shields
dispersion field
100pts

Once those shields are down and I start using the enhanced hull plating, I get 6 aux tokens per round.

Sometimes I drop and modify to add Borg Shield Matrix instead of Dispersion Field if I know I wont be facing a lot of ganking stuff.

[edit] Should note that we play that a fleet can take up 20pts in resources - no multiples and Bajoran / Vulcan Faction fall under the Federation umbrella and do not have the faction penalty when mixing the three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
koku ryu wrote:
alepperd wrote:

I feel that way with Coran Horn in X-wing. I gave up placing them after having twin towers of Stress Tokens that were providing him with cover

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braddock West
United States
Rockrimmon
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
gotg wrote:

[edit] Should note that we play that a fleet can take up 20pts in resources - no multiples and Bajoran / Vulcan Faction fall under the Federation umbrella and do not have the faction penalty when mixing the three.

Thats vicious, I'm sure your venue will see plenty of use of the new advanced shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gould
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thec0sm0naught wrote:
gotg wrote:

Thats vicious, I'm sure your venue will see plenty of use of the new advanced shields.

None of us really like it. It would be better if those tokens replenish on the resource but they don't. Pending on the build, flagship / fleet captains get the most use.

We played a event where you could only have 100 single ship build; many used the 20 pts for the attack squadron resource to get a "second" ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, why so many tinyprise questions all of a sudden? this one and the picard one keep getting asked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
koku ryu wrote:
Also, why so many tinyprise questions all of a sudden? this one and the picard one keep getting asked

Were I to guess, I would say that the new 50 point limit is making it more enticing as people are looking into good builds in the 40-50 point range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braddock West
United States
Rockrimmon
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Victoryislife wrote:
koku ryu wrote:

Were I to guess, I would say that the new 50 point limit is making it more enticing as people are looking into good builds in the 40-50 point range.
this is true, i have just recently taken a closer look at the tiny prize and the federation faction as a whole since this 50 pt limit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.