Florian Mohr
Germany
Leupoldsgrün
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

are there any books you would recommend reading that cover the subject?

Thank you,

Florian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game covers big chunks of the world over a span of centuries. Is there something more specific you're interested in? The wars of religion? European exploration/colonization? Something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Mohr
Germany
Leupoldsgrün
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
This game covers big chunks of the world over a span of centuries. Is there something more specific you're interested in? The wars of religion? European exploration/colonization? Something else?

I was looking for more of an overview, maybe as part of a book describing the history of Europe in general.

But if there are books dealing with a specific topic you would highly recommend I am interested in them as well .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike covert
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will Durant, in several volumes, covers this period.

General European Histories:
The Making of Modern Europe 1648-1780, Geoffrey Treasure
Seventeenth Century Europe 1598-1700, Thomas Munck
Eighteenth Century Europe 1700-1789, Jeremy Black
The Rise of the European Powers 1679-1793, Edward Arnold
The Rise of the Great Powers 1648-1815, Derek McKay and H.M. Scott
Europe from the Renaissance to Waterloo, Robert Ergang

Country Specific
History of the Ottoman Empire and Modern Turkey:
Volume I; Empire of the Gazis/The Rise and Decline of the Ottoman Empire,
Stanford J. Shaw

Military Oriented
The Thirty Years War, C.V. Wedgwood
The Military Revolution: Military Innovation and the Rise of the West, 1500-1800, Geoffrey Parker
The Rise of Modern Warfare 1618-1815, H.W. Koch

Geoffrey Parker also covers this Period in other books.
David Chandler is good for the Napoleonic era.

There are many books covering this Period. These are a few of my favorites, to get you started. I can offer more, books and authors, if you desire. Good luck and Good reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Mohr
Germany
Leupoldsgrün
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much Mike , that is an awesome list .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Although covering only a tiny part of the period of the game The Great Siege of Malta by Ernle Bradford is a great read. In my opinion narrative history at it's best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rochlitz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
You might like to try:The Mediteranean and the Mediteranean World in the Age of PhillipII.by Fernand Braudel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Yves Moyen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Braudel is an extremely valuable source on the late 16th century. Beware that it is a book written by a professional historian an not meant for the larger public. Meaning that it more or less suppose that you already have a good idea of the general settings (but it's the kind of information that can easily be found on Wikipedia or such, so you can complete your knowledge whenever something seems complicated).
His book about Capitalism (in this period) is also said to be very good. I can't remember the exact title now.

As mentioned, the list of books you can read on the period is too long… Another one I liked was "Histoire et dictionnaire des guerres de religion" (A. Jouanna & al., Laffont) I don't know if it was translated but it was a precious source of information on the French Wars of Religion.

I think that Le Roy Ladurie's "Histoire du climat depuis l'an Mil" is also a very good source of information. I remember reading and liking Chandler's "The Art of Warfare in the Age of Marlborough".

Despite all the drawbacks it has, Wikipedia is also a good source of factual information on the lives of the main protagonists and the proceedings of particular wars and battles, especially for the late game (18th century) where numerous reliable historic sources exist. Wikipedia pages on smaller subjects of the early 16th are often very sparse and not always true (I remember a certain Turkish privateer said to take part in battles happening when he was only 4 years old…) OTOH, if you want to read about, say, Frederick the Great or the Seven Years War, Wikipedia should hold globally correct information. However, Wikipedia mostly holds factual information and -contrary to good history books- does not try to explain some of the deep mechanisms that lead to these events. That is, you'll find the "hows" but not really the "whys".

As said, this game cover so much, both historically and geographically, that it is extremely hard to have a single book speaking about everything without being too generic…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Yves Moyen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And another one I remember…
Les oisivetés de M. de Vauban, by Vauban himself, was surprisingly interesting.
I initially brought it part for fun and part for the treatises on attack and defense of fortresses. Non only are these treatises extremely good but the rest of the thinking in other books (about the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, a global tax on income, or the use of privateers, among other) were also very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Yves Moyen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently reading Crowley's books and finding them really good.
* Empires of the sea describes the fight between Spain and Turkey in the Mediterranean. It's mostly centred on the siege of Malta (taking around 1/3 of the book) but spawns from Rhodes to Lepanto.
* Conquerors speaks about the Portuguese conquest of India, basically in what corresponds to EU's period I.
* City of Fortune is about Venice in the Middle ages (from the 4th Crusade until ~1500). It is a bit out of scope for EU but still a very good read (Crowley is a good storyteller). And it helps understand some strange stuff and Venetian specificities (how they got and hold the starting position in EU, basically).

Crowley is good in both giving the global picture, the huge ambitions and long term plans; and in his attention to detail in the description of smaller events. This makes the books both very readable and packed with information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.