Bob Gabel
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Secretly John Masanori
mbmbmbmbmb
So during Geek Madness, one of us other netrunners mentioned that they really liked the game Sekigahara . After doing all of 20 minutes research, I snagged my copy off of Amazon. Already played it five times, and I have to say I absolutely love it!

This got me to thinking. What other games do us netrunners play? Are there games out there that you think other people will like simply because they also like Netrunner? I don't think there are any hard or fast ways to answer these questions, so, by all means, contribute any games that you think other netrunners might enjoy.

For me it's:
Sentinels of the Multiverse - You pick a hero with a premade deck, and then join your friends to battle one of the many evil super villains that come with the game. Awesome theme, surprisingly simple rules set, amazing art. Check it out.

Sekigahara - Wonderful card driven historical 'wargame' that just bleeds theme. You fight to unify Japan, navigating the ever changing allegiances of the clans under your rule. No dice, very little luck, just enough to make it replayable.

Love Letter & Coup - Both simple, quick, and vicious games with lots of hidden information. Great entry level games that are easy to teach, with lots of replayablity, that will fire people's interest in the board game community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Two essential games that assist in understanding how to play A:NR:

- Innovation: this game teaches you how to be creative, think on the fly, never give up, and use the cards you've been dealt
- One Night Ultimate Werewolf: especially essential for Jinteki players, this game is the perfect game for learning how to lie effectively and read others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic: the Gathering, mostly. Coup and Dixit are my favorite party games. And the best long games all start with "Twilight".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guze
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I help run our board game night at work, and lately we've been playing a lot of Coup and Cheaty Mages. We try to get into other things, though.

My personal favorites outside of Netrunner are Yomi, BattleCON, and Sentinels of the Multiverse, but there's a lot of other games I enjoy playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damocles346 wrote:
Love Letter & Coup - Both simple, quick, and vicious games with lots of hidden information. Great entry level games that are easy to teach, with lots of replayablity, that will fire people's interest in the board game community.

I love both Love Letter and Coup, but Mascarade has largely replaced both of them (as well as The Resistance) in our group's repertoire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Cain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons
The Resistance
Suburbia
Libertalia
Love Letter
Descent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Innovation
Puzzle Strike
Space Alert
Yomi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sasha F
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
My friends and I were utterly hooked on The Resistance for about 2 months. If you have the right group of people, that game will eat a clock faster than any other game I've played.

It's one of those rare games with near infinite re-playability because it is entirely player dependent rather than game dependent. It's great that the conversations/arguments after the game take almost as long as the game itself. I will note that I did cool off on the game after the one night where i was Spy 8 times in a row, and a total of 9 times out of 10 games. I also made the early mistake of teaching the whole group some subtle tells that they were giving in regards to voting. Now all of the people I play with are good enough that I have no competitive edge .

Besides that we've played around with:
Settlers of Catan
Munchkin
Say Anything
Pandemic
Elder Sign

I have to say Pandemic is an extraordinarily well constructed game that can turn at any moment. Settlers is among the best die-dependent games I've played, but all of those really dull for me pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 400+ other tabletop games and rank a handful above Netrunner*. Add me as a GeekBuddy and Analyze to see what I like. More info about GeekBuddy Analyze here: Be a GeekBuddy. Make a GeekBuddy.

It's been a long time and I'm not sure I remember the rules, but if I recall correctly, Jambo has a similar mechanical structure to Netrunner (2 players, each has X actions a turn to do stuff).

* War of the Ring (Second Edition), Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, Chaos in the Old World, StarCraft: The Board Game, Runewars, Claustrophobia etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...several:

-Firefly: The Board Game
-Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
-Zombicide
-Love Letter
-RoboRally
-King of Tokyo (+ Expansion)
-The Resistance
-Forbidden Desert
-Loopin' Louie
-Qwirkle/Scrabble/Rummikub

I play MtG occasionally, but I don't really keep up with card releases and it's not my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damocles346 wrote:
So during Geek Madness, one of us other netrunners mentioned that they really liked the game Sekigahara . After doing all of 20 minutes research, I snagged my copy off of Amazon. Already played it five times, and I have to say I absolutely love it!

This got me to thinking. What other games do us netrunners play? Are there games out there that you think other people will like simply because they also like Netrunner? I don't think there are any hard or fast ways to answer these questions, so, by all means, contribute any games that you think other netrunners might enjoy.

For me it's:
Sentinels of the Multiverse - You pick a hero with a premade deck, and then join your friends to battle one of the many evil super villains that come with the game. Awesome theme, surprisingly simple rules set, amazing art. Check it out.

Sekigahara - Wonderful card driven historical 'wargame' that just bleeds theme. You fight to unify Japan, navigating the ever changing allegiances of the clans under your rule. No dice, very little luck, just enough to make it replayable.

It's research time, Damocles!

Wiz-War (eighth edition) and Cosmic Encounter inspired the 'cards make the rules' gameplay in Sentinels, Netrunner, all LCGs/CCGs etc, give it a shot if you like Sentinels-style of play in an adversarial fashion (can only take so much co-op before I want to whack my friends again).

Sekigahara is a cross between a block wargame and a card-driven wargame. Hammer of the Scots is a good entry-level embodiment of the former and Twilight Struggle/1960: The Making of the President represent the latter.

Love Letter / Coup, 'poker style'... I hear Pandánte is one to keep your eye on if you like those. You might also like The Resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Helms
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I play a lot of other games - right now it's primarily Ticket to Ride, Love Letter, Forbidden Island and Carcassonne taking up my time.

However, I've also been playing a lot of Star Realms and so has a lot of the other Netrunners at my store - it's a quick little 2-player deckbuilder that's easy to play between Netrunner rounds, costs the same as a Data Pack and damn, it's good fun. Really love that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Angell
msg tools
king of tokyo w/ the power up expansion. i dont even have to try to get this to table. my gamer and non gamer friends ask to play this all the time.

eldritch horror. i still havent ever won it but its a brilliant game.

archaeology - light set collecting game with just enough take that and randomization to make it interesting. the game is 10 dollars but ive probably played it 100 plus times with a wide variety of people. its the best" bang for the buck" game in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez, what don't I play? I do a board game night every Thursday at a FLGS where we play new releases and classics all the time, and play with friends on weekends with games in our collections.

My favorites include Keyflower, Macao, Innovation, Core Worlds, and Tales of the Arabian Nights. But I'll play almost anything - the number of games that have disappointed me is low indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
I've played 400+ other tabletop games and rank a handful above Netrunner*. Add me as a GeekBuddy and Analyze to see what I like. More info about GeekBuddy Analyze here: Be a GeekBuddy. Make a GeekBuddy.

BTW You could also GeekBuddy Netrunner fans (people who rated it a 10, people who used the 'Fan' button, people who reply to this thread etc), then use GeekBuddy Analyze to both see what game do these Geekbuddies rate the highest, and what they say about specific games (see below).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Android, duh!

Also, Summoner Wars, RoboRally, Quantum, Seasons, Among The Stars, Quarriors, Tash-Kalar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Keaten
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
First Click
badge
Praise it.
mbmbmbmbmb
My only other 10 is Dominant Species. Good lord do I love that game.

I'm big into weighty games - Eldritch/Arkham, Dominant, Android, Mansions of Madness. So much goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like many of the "Tableau" games:
Race for the Galaxy
San Juan
New Era (51st State)
Seasons
Innovation
Glory to Rome

I'm also a pretty hardcore Eurogamer:
Hansa Teutonica
Terra Mystica
Tzolkin
Princes of Florence
Puerto Rico

And I dig the Eurogamer/Ameritrash hybrids:
Chaos in the Old World
Eclipse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars, Omen: A Reign of War, and Battlecon: Devastation are the other three in our two-player meta. We're shelving all of them this week as we prepare for the first Netrunner tournament we will attend together (my fourth, her first).meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
I quite like many of the "Tableau" games:
Race for the Galaxy
San Juan
New Era (51st State)
Seasons
Innovation
Glory to Rome

I'm also a pretty hardcore Eurogamer:
Hansa Teutonica
Terra Mystica
Tzolkin
Princes of Florence
Puerto Rico

And I dig the Eurogamer/Ameritrash hybrids:
Chaos in the Old World
Eclipse

I'm with this guy on all counts. My other favorites I have to call out at War of the Ring and Ascension. I also enjoy the X-Wing minis game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Board Games:
Crayon Rails
Crude
Go
King of Tokyo
Power Grid
Ticket to Ride

Card Games:
Dominion
Mu
Poker
Sentinels of the Multiverse

Other *CGs:
Babylon 5
V:TES

RPGSs:
Earthdawn
Shadowrun
World of Darkness

Video Games:
Diablo Series
Starcraft Series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Inc.
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Fueled by the Void
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised to see a number of players sporting microbadges for my other current obsessions:

Labyrinth
Cuba Libre (and the COIN series in general).

Amazing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah, I don't know where to begin.

I guess if I had to make a top 5

1. Love Letter
2. Hanabi
3. Netrunner
4. Pandemic
5. Glory to Rome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Marion
Canada
Surrey
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing a lot of The Lord of the Rings LCG; both solo and with my oldest son who is just turning 10.

Other games I really enjoy are Galaxy Trucker, Letters for Whitechapel and The Downfall of Pompeii.

I love board and card games and will try almost anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fyffe
United States
Stafford
Texas
flag msg tools
You mean, there are games besides Netrunner?

My favorites:

Race for the Galaxy
Neuroshima Hex!
51st State/The New Era
Space Hulk Death Angel: The Card Game
Summoner Wars
Claustrophobia
GoSu
Okko

The first game I bought when getting into board games and card games was Gloom, and I still have a soft spot for it, even though I haven't played it in years.

If you have a large group (six or seven), I recommend Shadow Hunters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.