Random Fleming
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

I read on Update #6 of the Snitch! Kickstarter project that Karl was thinking about keeping all Common Man Games publications with the law enforcement theme (Police Precinct, SNITCH, etc).

I recommended in the update comments section that CMG should be expand a little into the "first responder" theme (fire fighters, police officers, emergency medical technicians, park rangers, etc.) That way, there is a little more variety for games where players can emulate decision-making as the first person to enter a crisis.

(Note: I am using other game titles in this thread for ease of understanding.)

So here is a quick list of ideas I thought up while mowing my lawn this past weekend. Feel free to chime in with ideas of your own.

1. A police SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics) game much like Flash Point: Fire Rescue by Indie Boards & Cards but in this case, players take on the role of members of a SWAT team (chief, negotiator, sniper, demolitions, gunner, etc.) The players get a tip about rescuing, subduing (or eliminating) a person or people within the building but are uncertain on what they will find (e.g. terrorist, homemade meth lab, kids watching television, granny with a hairdryer, dogfighting ring, gang hangout, etc.) The players would then need to rely on their special skills to 'win the scenario'; characters could level up or acquire new weapons or skills after successfully completing the mission (or artfully dodging a potentially embarrassing situation (e.g. barging in on a family eating dinner)).

2. A similar type of game could be done with cards as a deck-builder too. Or a worker placement game. By getting the right personnel (cards) into a player's hand, the player can execute a mission and earn victory points or resources to solve even more crimes/missions. Something like Wizards' of the Coast Lords of Waterdeep could be the basis for this type of worker placement game.

3. Another first responder type could be a federal marshal. Perhaps saving individuals from villains in a city (or airplane?) could be entertaining. Or perhaps trying to rescue survivors from a city under siege or a nuclear fallout (10 miles away from the blast epicenter?) Or perhaps a game like Scotland Yard where the heroes are trying to prevent a hidden/moving villain from setting off a bomb or weapon in the city. So many movie-like possibilities.

4. And finally, I am not aware of a good EMT game. I know Quarantine came out not that long ago but that appeared more as a hospital builder than a travel about and pick up the wounded/sick in town game.

That's some of my initial brainstorming. Do you have any suggestions for future CMG titles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Steiness
Denmark
Herlev
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love all those ideas! We are probably thinking in the same lines here, more or less. Do not worry, I can assure you that we are working on some very interesting ideas along those lines. I won't spoil anything yet - that is Karl's job laugh

It is always nice to hear suggestions like these (who knows what will end up in the next game?).

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Face In The Crowd
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Great ideas there. I would especially like to second the notion of the Tactical Team expansion, or stand alone game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomfleming wrote:

3. Another first responder type could be a federal marshal. Perhaps saving individuals from villains in a city (or airplane?) could be entertaining. Or perhaps trying to rescue survivors from a city under siege or a nuclear fallout (10 miles away from the blast epicenter?) Or perhaps a game like Scotland Yard where the heroes are trying to prevent a hidden/moving villain from setting off a bomb or weapon in the city. So many movie-like possibilities.

Makes me think of The Fugative. Could be a re-Skin of Fury of Dracula (second edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Fleming
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:
Makes me think of The Fugative. Could be a re-Skin of Fury of Dracula (second edition).

Exactly! Or perhaps like a Con Air plotline where there is a main villain and several other minions that can be apprehended or eliminated. Or maybe a gang or clan of villains or gunmen inside a local mall?

The nuclear blast fallout scenario was a daydream after flipping through TV channels and seeing

Surviving Disaster with Cade Courtly on SpikeTV

late one night. A race against time to rescue people and get as far away as possible. (Warning: the video aired is dramatically a little over the top, IMO.) But collecting survivors, finding medicine and food supplies, and running toward permanent shelter or out of the city could be a fun race against time concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting Random!

I just linked this entire thread to the main Expansions thread so that the great ideas mentioned here as not forgotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:
Randomfleming wrote:

Or perhaps a game like Scotland Yard where the heroes are trying to prevent a hidden/moving villain from setting off a bomb or weapon in the city. So many movie-like possibilities.

This exact thing has only just been done: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157339/viktory-terror...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomfleming wrote:
4. And finally, I am not aware of a good EMT game.

As an Advanced Care Paramedic with 17 years of experience, don't think that I haven't noticed this...

Randomfleming wrote:
a travel about and pick up the wounded/sick in town game.

...but I've been working to rectify the situation... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE the First Responder idea!!!!

I think that if we go in this direction (toward Law Enforcement games) that we will be able to expand out to include all First Responder very easily with any game (Police Precinct the original and or Ole's new game Doomsday, etc). I feel like as long as there is a substancial/meaningful Law Enforcement component, then we can include all sorts of things with that.

We have long had plans to add aspects to Police Precinct that involved ambulances, fire trucks, etc.

So my (current) thinking is...

Focus on Law Enforcement, and let that take you in as wide a scope as you want.

Sooooo...

Yes!

We will cover the First Responder area!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we might have to get Josh in on some of this (if he's willing)...!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a growing list of Law Enforcement consultants, but none (yet) for EMT.

Josh!?!

I'm thinkin' You Da Man!

And...

If you have a secret plan we want in on it!

ninja

Kidding, but not!

As many folks know, we are a very open company, and love to involve the community in our games, so if you want to work on an EMT related item, we would love to look at that with you (if your so inclined).

We have to focus on getting a couple critical items out to the factory for production right now, but that is really an interesting area that we (Ole and I) want to move toward and would love to involve experts and gamers in. The best kind person to involve in something like that is a combo (EMT/Gamer) like you.

Anyway...

Food for thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely looking forward to what's in store in the future from CMG! I'm thinking a strategy style of game where you are heading up a crisis team could be quite a fun romp through the streets of Commonville with the options for many expansions.

Once we get SNITCH! funded, then we can see what Ole has up his sleeves!

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Steiness
Denmark
Herlev
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All this is very exciting, I think. I am a dedicated fan of the old Emergency PC game series and have a very soft spot for all types of emergency responder games.

As some of you know, I did a firefighter game a couple of years ago that was paused because a certain other firefighting game got released, but I also did a first aid game prototype about being first responder at a road accident:

This never went anywhere, but it is a cool way of testing your theoretical knowledge and overview in an accident situation (the game is all about prioritizing your efforts in a big accident).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jazzy Bear
United States
Quad-Cities
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this can go all the way to anti-terrorism and short and long term undercover. Mobsters/Mafioso and Generic Terrorists(not nationality based) can provide some long-term, over arching story plots. We can have the drugs traced all the way back to some foreign(fake name) country and follow that story as well.

I like the Medical/Fire/Rescue ideas as well. Managing a team in co-op play to overcome a large event sounds very fun. Lately I have been interested in 10-20 minute timed scenario games. A sound track is running (on a CD or cell phone) and periodically it triggers an event and updates the severity of the situation. Makes for very intense games. Over time characters can "level up" or gain better gear for the next scenario(s).

There are a lot of ways to go with this. I also think having a common city, county, state/area for events helps make the games familiar. Players of one like the nod to the other games. For example having and International Airport in town lets us have an emergency landing, a high-jacking, or a clandestine meeting of the heads of state from enemy nations trying to put together a peace deal. The last version gives us a mission to guard the meeting from those wanting it to fail.

Forest Fire, kidnappings, sink-hole, levy-break/flooding, toxic trailer/train car spill. So many different things and ways to play. A lot of the mission based ideas are from a mostly diceless RPG I have been working that has been play tested but never released.

I like the idea we can have card games, dice games, co-op, competitive, board games and more styles all under one umbrella.

Jazzy B-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ba-bam!

Jazzy done said it!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, what have I started? lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
way to go Moe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Fleming
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it would help but some of my academic research is on best practices for setting up a base camp for survivors in an affected area (e.g. natural disaster).

I saved this Kickstarter project under my "Remind Me" list and reread it now and then to get ideas. I think iDart was onto something but went about it the wrong way (at least for a KS project.) I think the game could be super streamlined and improved but as I said, it has the beginnings of a great idea. And in classic customize-able Catan-esque style too.

Just another thought. It seems like we're all on the same page here. All I ask, Ole and Karl (and others), is that we can be some playtesters for your CMG prototypes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomfleming wrote:

we can be some playtesters for your CMG prototypes.

Random (and anyone else reading this), if you have not already done so, please...

Send me an email with this subject line...

"add me to you play-tester list"

Karl@commonman.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.