Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Childers
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night Alethea and I played two games of HTMF with the 4x6 hexagonal board. We decided to play for fish count instead of the winner being whoever can move last, Alethea didn't like that idea.

In the first game, Alethea successfully kept from blocking herself in on peninsulas but I was able to carve out a high concentration of fish and won 59-41. No wasted fish this time!

During the second game, Emily woke up and was most unhappy. Alethea held her in her lap and was alternately trying to play the game and calm the baby. The only other notable event was that I managed to strand one of her penguins, and she scolded, "That wasn't very nice." Indeed by the end of the game all four of her penguins were stranded and all that was left to me was figuring out how to maneuver my penguins to not waste fish. The final score was 78-21, but as Alethea pointed out, I had an accomplice.

In both games, we got caught in this group-think that penguins are only supposed to jump one hex at a time. In the second game, I made more use offensively of moving multiple hexes, but defensively I was still underappreciating this. I realized in retrospect that in each game Alethea could have easily gotten into the big floes I was carving out with a long jump when I was content that I could keep her out based on the false assumption that her penguins only moved one hex at a time. In the future we need to be intentional about moving our penguins multiple hexes until it sinks in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.