United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own Glory to Rome, but with some help I'm making a custom version of the game with an Asterix theme (for personal use). Here's what some of the cards look like:

I've come up with a few designs for the card-backs now, but I'm at the point where I'm finding it nearly impossible to look at them objectively! I've narrowed it down to two options, and figured I'd poll the BGG community to help me make the final decision, by having some fresh sets of eyes look at these.

Of the two possibilities below, which one do you think looks best, the one on the left (with the gray rectangle as background, to connect with the rectangular shape on the front of the cards), or the one on the right (with the plain white background)?

Poll
Which card-back looks the best?
The one on the left (gray rectangle background)
The one on the right (plain white background)
      109 answers
Poll created by EndersGame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your cards are gorgeous! I have one question though: are you sure the font used for the card effect is readable enough even under sub optimal lightning conditions and a beer or two? From what I can see from the pictures, I would have some problems.

And a second question: are these cards on the picture already printed by a professional printer, or did you do them yourself? If the later, then how? They look fantastic (not the style but the quality). EDIT: the style is fantastic, too!

And last, I would go with the first background. Although the white background looks cleaner, the gray box keeps Asterix and Obelix from "wandering around". And it helps putting the weight in the center of the card. Without the box, Obelix belly shifts the eye focus too much to the right, of center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try to ask Jamie from The Secret Cabal for advice regarding the card backs. Jamie is a professional graphic designer and Glory to Rome is his number one game of all time. Though I think his advice would cost you a copy of your home made version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work! I've often thought that Asterix art would be a great fit for GtR, but have never had encyclopaedic enough knowledge of the books to be tackle the task. Being able to find the right art for each card is an easy skill to underestimate!

Your cards look really nice, with border colouring making a huge difference to playability (I regret not doing this with my version). I would echo the call to use a better font (and not use all-caps). Liberation Sans is my go-to font.

The people who get to play this with you are going to feel really privileged
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the gray rectangle, but the movement lines have a very big shadow, so I voted for the white one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is amazing. I started this same project myself a few year back but I never found all the perfect pictures. I wonder if I still have my files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
This looks great! I do find it a bit contradictory to have an Asterix-themed game called Glory to Rome though. Should be the opposite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard - this is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
This looks great! I do find it a bit contradictory to have an Asterix-themed game called Glory to Rome though. Should be the opposite

Well, whenever we play and Rome taxes you and you don't have the card they asked for, we flip the Roman player the bird and say "Glory to Rome" -- thus the theme is PERFECT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Strebeck
United States
San Francisco
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
www.gamelawyerblog.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone hasn't been reading my blog posts

I like the rectangle. Breaks up all the white space nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.