Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ádám Juhász
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
"Never tell me the odds!"
badge
“You’ve never heard of the Millennium Falcon? … It’s the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!

Recently a question came up for us and I hope we handled it the right way but I'd better just ask it here for sure.

There are cards that give bonuses to units who are attacking. It's like "while attacking ....this unit gains..."

When does exactly the term "attacking" refers to in timing? It's the time when the unit is declared as an attacker, or it's the moment when the unit strikes?

I give some examples which seem to be all the same for me:
1. Across the Anoat Sector: Each [Smugglers and Spies] unit you control gains [Blast Damage] while it is attacking alone.
I declare two attacker, but after edge battle one of them is sacrificed, died, return to hand by action, etc...does the remaining one smuggler unit gets the blast icon since at the moment of the strike he is alone? Or attacking alone refers to that the unit is declared attacker alone?
2. Against All Odds: Each unit you control gains [Blast Damage] while attacking an opponent who has more cards in hand than you.
Same issue here. Do I check the opponents hand at the moment when I declared attackers or after the edge battle, where he probably discards the cards into the edge?
3. MTV-7: This unit gains [Blast Damage] while it is attacking a damaged objective.
Not the same but similar case here as well. Do I check the objective at the beginning of the attack when I declare attackers, or at the moment of the MTV's strike. I can easily damage an undamaged objective with a strike before the MTV attacks so it becomes damaged and when it comes to MTV's turn it gets the bonus (risking it gets killed by an opponent strike till that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've had this exact question answered correctly on the SW forum already today. There's no change to the answer. If you don't understand the answer, let me know what you don't understand and I'll try and help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ádám Juhász
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
“You’ve never heard of the Millennium Falcon? … It’s the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Which SW forum? This one? I only see this topic answered today and none of the recent ones seem to be related to this. Maybe you can throw me a link please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Borthwick
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These scenarios had not occurred to me and could make for some powerful attacks, albeit under limited circumstances. I'd be keen to see the ruling if it has been answered elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these questions have the same answer, provided at the FFG site's SW forum, where the identical question was asked earlier today.

"While" denotes a period during which a state is provided. It's not a point-in-time check. "While a unit is attacking" is the period from when the unit is declared an attacker until the engagement ends. During that entire period, that unit is provided the state provided by the "while" effect. If it's given a combat icon for instance, then it's given that combat icon throughout that period.

While's are typically constants. Constants are perpetually checked, so they turn on the instant the "while" condition is met, and stay on until it is not met.

So for pt 1:, yes he gets it. It's during a period when the "while" effect is satisfied.

Same for pt 2:, while I'm attacking, per above, it further defines that the opponent must have more cards in hand. The instant both of those are satisifed, then a period starts in which the benefit is gained.

Same for pt 3:, the constant is continually checking, and the instant it becomes true, it stays true (until you're either not attacking or the engaged objective is undamaged).

To sum up, there's no point in time that you "check" to see if a "while" is true or not ... you perpetually check it. And the instant it's on, it stays on until the perpetual check turns it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ádám Juhász
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much! I don't read those forums sadly.
Seems to be fair and logic solution, we played this way btw.

Funny case for the 2nd example: I attack with a lot of units an opponent with many cards, I declare them attacker. All of them have an extra blast icon now. The opponent declares defenders, and we resolve edge battles where we all discard our cards into the edge battle so he doesn't have more cards in hand than me. All of my units lose their blast icon immedietely. I strike, then he strikes with a unit, etc. If he strikes with a Tusken raider it returns to his hand and voilá he has more card in his hand so my next unit to strike, if any, get the blast icon The rule completely makes sense to me, but has nothing to do with "Against all odds" thematically
Although it makes more sense that we have Shifty Lookout (While this unit is ready, each opponent is considered to have 1 additional card in his hand.) in this objective set, to get the bonus even if the opponent discards all his cards into the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.