Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Girven
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does the community think of achievements in boardgames. What I mean is like what you get with modern console games. Something you accomplish in the game that is a real sense of achievement or something very difficult to do.

I have seen a couple of games that actually ship with a sheet to mark off these, the games escape me at the moment. Also fans have made a list of there own.

Should we start a geeklist of games and get the community to come up with a list of ideas for achievements in those games.

There are times when you do something in a game that defies belief, there are also times when the same thing happens over and over.

What does everyone think, this can sometimes breathe life into old games we never play.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
In my experience, these kinds of things are best recognized in
a stable gaming group. We used to keep high score (fairly meaningless
within the game) on a sheet within some games, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I kind of like it.

Some of the computerised boardgames like Alhambra have achievements in them which I found quite entertaining even though my initial instinct was that they were stupid. Example from Alhambra, 'get points for every colour in a scoring round'. If you're interested I can post the list from Alhambra later today.

Adding a sheet to the box where people could write in the achievers name and date would be quite a cool idea. It wouldn't take a significant effort from the game developer and anyone that didn't like the idea could just throw it away.

Computers are great at record keeping and humans not so much. I'd stick to things that can be identified inside a single game. Anything like 'win three games in a row' is probably going to lead to disagreement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Niemann
Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Copycat did this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid: The First Sparks also. Friese must be one of the "everyone should be a winner" types as there as so many different things to win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the iOS apps do something like this. For Ascension there are all sorts of stats tracked. You get badges for winning x number of games, for having acquired/defeated every card, for chaining some of the mega cards together in one game, etc. I like the idea, but it's obviously easier to implement when a computer is tracking all the data for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Uhrich
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this idea. You've inspired me to try to make this happen in my gaming group. A shared Google Drive document or spreadsheet would probably work well for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning on putting this idea in a game I've been working on for some time. I think it's nice not only for the "everybody wins" thing as mentioned above, but also to give players more choices and direction.

I think that if you can have a sort of "Legacy" thing going (like Legacy Risk) it could be even more important/advantageous, because players could even get some benefit the next time they play the game. This probably becomes difficult to balance over the long haul though.

Bruges does something like this, where you get the top point marker if you complete 6 canals first. The next person gets the next point marker if they complete 6 canals. So the first person gets (I think) 6 or 7 points, the next person gets 1 less, etc. Not exactly the same, but similar in the way it works.

I definitely think that in general it's an under-used idea, and depending on the type of game, could be a pretty unique selling point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor G
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like achievements, more thumbs to you Shane! I think if you started a geeklist you'd get tons of responses. Go for it! Be sure to link it to this thread.

One problem I can forsee is that achievements would require replaying the same game many times, whereas groups like mine jump around a lot. Can you think of generic achievements as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjortman wrote:
Bruges does something like this, where you get the top point marker if you complete 6 canals first.

You also score at the end for (essentially) having gotten the "most people" achievement at any point in the game -- not for still being in the lead at the end specifically.

Space Alert: The New Frontier has a huge achievement system for unlocking the various specializations, and includes some out-of-game things like "play a game that starts before noon and ends after noon" or "post a session report to BGG". Not sure how I feel about that last one, but other than that, I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only like them when they're linked to actual gameplay additions, such as in the Space Cadets expansion or my Ladder 11 Flash Point expansion.

If they're meaningless (like in video games) there's no real point to add them in an official sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2018 Jun 13th - 17th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 5 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Game Arena does this with the games it supports:

Winnable trophies

Best player

Top 20 best players

Top 10 best players

Top 5 best players

3rd best player

2nd best player

Good player (>1600 ELO)

Expert (>1800 ELO)

Master (>2000 ELO)

Largest margin of victory

2nd: victory number

3rd: victory number

Top 5: victory number

Top 10: victory number

Top 20: victory number

First victory

100th victory

3rd victory

50th victory

20th victory

10th victory

Most games played

2nd: games played

3rd: games played

Top 5: games played

Top 10: games played

Top 20: games played

100 games played

5 games played

20 games played

50 games played

500 games played

200 games played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard suggestions that DungeonQuest players write their name on the inside box top cover to immortalize their achievement for just being able to win the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Girven
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for all the comments guys.

I think you are right in saying computers can track this kind of thing way better. But on the other hand if you have a game you love and your group plays it you could come up with these achievements to make it more competitive.

I think the played 10 times etc. Is not what I was really thinking of, more so that when you do something in the game that is difficult to do.

Examples:
Mr Jack, escape as Mr Jack before the 5th turn or something like that.
Qwixx, Score 200 points.

I'll start thinking about the geeklist. The people that play certain games the most would have come across a lot of situations, so would be best to comment on the types of achievements that are difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember once doing up a list of joke achievements just for a group of friends I was playing with.

Beat XXXXX at (their favourite game)
Arrived on time (and name it after the guy who is always late)

That sort of thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Nicholson had a great piece about achievements in Episode 15 of Tom Vasel's Board Game Breakfast. See his Ivory Dice Tower segment on the subject, which starts at 13:30 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb0m3wDzdBo#

I already made some comments about this elsewhere, but will re-post some of my thoughts here.

Some iOS versions of board games do a great job of using achievements; here's some examples:
● the Carcassonne app has an achievement for scoring equal points with farmers/robbers/monks/knights
● the Ticket to Ride app has achievements for winning without using certain colours
● the San Juan app has achievements for producing a certain amount of goods and rewards other interesting and unusual ways of playing.

I personally find achievements like this very appealing, and wish more board game apps did this, because they help prevent a game becoming old too quickly. Such achievements force you to play the game differently, and to try things other than just what would just get you the most points, thus playing "outside the box", and increasing replayability.

I think Scott Nicholson is really onto something here, and I wonder if designers and publishers can find a way to incorporate this concept more into physical board games. One way might be to suggest rules and scoring for a "campaign" that consists of a series of games, and where players get points for accomplishing such achievements over the course of multiple games.

But what would be really interesting is if someone came up with a good idea about how to work this concept into a single play of a game. One possibility might be to issue achievements as secret objectives to players at the start of a game, and that these achievements would reward them for taking a different approach to the game. This concept could even be applied to existing strategy games, e.g. Agricola, Puerto Rico, Dominion. To some extent some games already have such objectives for bonus points, such as the longest train in Ticket to Ride, which is effectively such an achievement. But it could easily be taken further, e.g. a number of secret objectives (like the ones in the app) could be assigned randomly to players at the start of the game, giving them opportunity to get bonus points. There's definitely potential here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bethany Dubeck
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe some versions of Risk have achievements that get handed out to whomever earns them first. I think they might be worth extra points or something, I can't remember as I don't play Risk too often and I certainly never bothered with the extra parts of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Brown
United States
Gorham
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach my son new games that have a steeper learning curve than previous games I've taught, then I break the rules down and introduce them as achievements. That is, once he has mastered a set of rules of concepts, then I tell him he has "unlocked" more of the game. He is aware that he is working for more when we play and gets pretty jazzed when he "unlocks" more of the game by playing comfortably with the new rules a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
^^^ Lovely idea thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yureiavalon wrote:
I believe some versions of Risk have achievements that get handed out to whomever earns them first. I think they might be worth extra points or something, I can't remember as I don't play Risk too often and I certainly never bothered with the extra parts of the game.

Yeah, if you complete certain objectives (both minor and major), you get a random reward for the remainder of the game (bonus attack/defense dice, extra maneuver, etc).

I enjoy the achievements in Mice and Mystics, and I believe it works because of the campaign system. There aren't many achievements but it's a nice little extra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this Geeklist for some ideas...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/53929/boardgame-achievemen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Eh...game achievements just prey on the desire for accomplishment that's bred into us from an early age. We're taught to do our best, earn A's, collect trophies, get 1st place, get the promotion, earn those degrees, win those awards, and to somehow try to feel like we're impossibly the best in a world with 7 billion other people.

So now video game designers give us a digital pats on the back for managing to combine seven wall jumps and three head shots in under three seconds or for playing a marathon run of 10 hours. Great, congratulations, Billy: true, you've done nothing but sit and stare at a screen for 10 hours playing a game, but here's a little in-game PNG file to make you feel like you've accomplished something. That's what you wanted right? To feel successful?

So no, I do not want that in my board games. I play board games to have fun. When I want to accomplish something, I actually accomplish something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm against achievements in competitive games in general*, unless they are directly related to performing well in the game. After all, there is no fun in beating an opponent who is not trying to win but is instead trying to, say, line up all of his donkey's in a row in Road & Boats.

* though I care much more about achievements in team-based games. Winning because your opponent is going for achievements is bad, but losing because your teammates are going for achievements is even worse.

Edit: Though I'd totally play the board game equivalent of Achievement Unlocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The 'Achievements' or 'Trophies' you get from playing modern video games is something I've never understood. I'm not sure if it's because I grew up playing games before the Internet took off (I'm 31) or because I just never got into online gaming, but personally I find it to be one of the most banal and bizarrely boring things to have happened to video games in recent years. There is absolutely no point to it, and it adds nothing to the experience.

HOWEVER, I do understand that some people like to complete video games completely. I personally don't see the merit in it, but I understand that this desire exists.

That said, I think it's weird, pointless and dull, to the point that when I found the score sheet in Ghost Stories, whilst impressed that they'd even bothered (the game is very hard to win, so it's a nice little addition I guess) I found myself wondering who would care about writing down their 'victories'. I guess it's a nice idea for people who take their gaming very seriously, and I guess I'm somewhat torn on the idea myself, but I just can't ever see myself really caring that much to keep a record of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have achievemnts in 2 boardgames I own

Stronghold has built-in achievements for the invaderside. If he for instance sacrifice 12 goblins, he earns 1 victory point. Assault 7 wall sections at one time, he earn another VP. There are 4 achievements + 1 for breaching the castle.
Unless the invader is very fast at breaching, he needs to do some of the achivements just to get the points.
I think it works really good in this game, the invader might sit in turn 5-6 and realize that he needs 1 more point to win when he breach and that he has to make an assualt on 7 wall sections. So even though he's only gonna fully commit to 2 of the sections, he now has to think about how he's gonna make it work logisticaly to get men up to the other walls.

My other game that has an achievement is The Game of Life which I owned since I was like 11 (im now 31). Since we were kids, we wrote up a highscore, my uncle claimed it at some point and kept it for 15 years or so (it helped that I didnt play alot of boardgames until I hit 30).
When I got back into boardgames, we ofcourse had a go at my childhood game and one of my friends managed to beat the highscore that had sat there for 15 years - even though the game is shit he still remembers that his name is on the list - and prolly will remain there for a long time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.