Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No previews available in video form, and also there's second to no videos on the Blue Moon (2004) page showing anyone playing the game so I can see what it looks like played. Seems strange. I know the internet was around in 2004, but how come there's hardly any footage of this game? If anyone knows of a good video of it could they direct me to it? My search skills failing me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben, I had been looking for a video as well but like you, I had no luck either. I know this doesn't help but you're not the only one. Now if only someone could direct us to a video... somewhere.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That does actually help. Its certainly better than having someone reply and say, "well, of course, nobody really cares about Blue Moon." or "all the cool people already have Blue Moon" or "it's a re-release, who cares, dummy," you know, that sort of thing.

But yeah. I don't know enough to know whether i'm interested, but im intrigued because I've never played a Knizia game that wasn't more about the numbers than the theme, and I like card-battling games so yeah, I just want to see it played. I could read the rulebook but I prefer to watch it played you know when I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad someone asked, actually. I've been checking CSI daily to see if they have it in stock (along with my "email me" checked box). Most of the rich content in the forums seems to have been created when the game had far less competition for a similar profile of game, so I've been wondering what a more recent perspective newer to the game would add. Personally, enough users here whose opinions I respect have so many good things to say about the system that it has the resonance of a classic for me. I plan to pick it up on the first day.

...and hope that Fantasy Flight doesn't so a "Mark II" version in a few years like they're doing with Dungeonquest. I don't think that's likely, though; from everything I have seen this seems like a completely faithful reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's already out at FLGstores in Australia and will go on sale 15/5, which is tomorrow my time. So soon, but I don't have enough info yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just waiting for the preorder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it is a box complete with all the previous races, it is an instant buy for me. However, it would be nice to have a video to look at. If I wasn't camera shy or had time to make a video, I would.

On a side note. UPS says our stock shipment from FFG with this game will be arriving today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI shows it in stock as of today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw this available at CSI, I had to come here and look it up! I had no idea what it was. I knew about Blue Moon City, but nothing about this game.

I found several glowing written reviews and ordered it yesterday hoping it fills the LCG gap in my collection since I refuse to get on that speeding money train (though I love the LOTR one, I can't keep up).

I also found it strange that this came out completely under the radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heffernan
Canada
Perth
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also now available at http://greatboardgames.ca in Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Madcapmartini wrote:
I found several glowing written reviews and ordered it yesterday hoping it fills the LCG gap in my collection since I refuse to get on that speeding money train (though I love the LOTR one, I can't keep up).

Yes I would also recommend being cautious about dipping into any LCGs. They are just as addictive as Magic the Gathering, its just sold in a different format. I've got three boxes of cards sitting there that are utterly useless from all my Magic, Cthuhlu, Game of Thrones experiences. Oh, and X-Wing is just as bad. In all these games whenever you sit down to play with someone they always say something like "oh, so you're still playing X (an old card/ship)? No-one plays that any more. They play Y (a recently released card/ship)." It made my skin crawl. Its the very definition of pay to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bygberbrown wrote:
Yes I would also recommend being cautious about dipping into any LCGs. They are just as addictive as Magic the Gathering, its just sold in a different format. I've got three boxes of cards sitting there that are utterly useless from all my Magic, Cthuhlu, Game of Thrones experiences. Oh, and X-Wing is just as bad. In all these games whenever you sit down to play with someone they always say something like "oh, so you're still playing X (an old card/ship)? No-one plays that any more. They play Y (a recently released card/ship)." It made my skin crawl. Its the very definition of pay to win.

Exactly how is a game that you buy all of once in a single box the definition of "pay to win"?

(OK, if two of you want to play all the options, one of once each.)

As for games going out of fashion, well, they pretty much all do, just at different rates. Some come back - this would be one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My post was about LCGs, and it was in response to the previous poster above me. I'll add a quote. As far as we know this is NOT an LCG. The original Blue Moon however WAS an LCG.

LCGs include A Game of Thrones: The Card Game. Star Wars: The Card Game. Call of Cthuhlu: The Card Game. Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. All by Fantasy Flight. Also X-Wing suffers from the same problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Finlay
Australia
Beldon
WA
flag msg tools
badge
bygberbrown wrote:
No previews available in video form, and also there's second to no videos on the Blue Moon (2004) page showing anyone playing the game so I can see what it looks like played. Seems strange. I know the internet was around in 2004, but how come there's hardly any footage of this game? If anyone knows of a good video of it could they direct me to it? My search skills failing me.

I know you want a video but why not just play Keldon's version if you want to get a feel for how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stuartfinlay wrote:
I know you want a video but why not just play Keldon's version if you want to get a feel for how it plays.

Because I didn't know it existed! Also, my laptop is a Mac and its windows only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bygberbrown wrote:

The original was a very big deal when it was published. Huge buzz. Knizia was the superstar designer of the era. There are lots of reviews and comments. But video reviews of boardgames were not a thing yet. Crazy as it sounds, this hobby thrived and grew for a long time before video reviews became common - it was a text world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Doupe wrote:
Crazy as it sounds, this hobby thrived and grew for a long time before video reviews became common - it was a text world.

Still is. I never watch video reviews - far too slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Finlay
Australia
Beldon
WA
flag msg tools
badge
bygberbrown wrote:
stuartfinlay wrote:

Because I didn't know it existed! Also, my laptop is a Mac and its windows only?

Pretty sure there's a mac version. Just google it and you'll find the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stuartfinlay wrote:
bygberbrown wrote:
stuartfinlay wrote:

Pretty sure there's a mac version. Just google it and you'll find the site.

It's playable on a Mac. Or at least on this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bygberbrown wrote:

Madcapmartini wrote:

Sorry. I wasn't quite clear. I was trying to say that I'm hoping this game satisfies my LCG itch without actually being an LCG, though it apparently was one initially, and I assume, given FFG's tendencies, that it will become one again. Ugh!

After 15 years of collecting MtG cards, I reacted strongly against the LCG format, even though I think they are terrific games for the most part. I love the LOTR LCG, but have reached a point where I don't want to keep up with new releases, nor do I want to spend time building decks. This one will require the latter from what I understand, but I'm hoping the faction decks alone will suffice for interesting player interaction without constant altering. We'll see I guess. My order has shipped!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bygberbrown wrote:

Oh, and X-Wing is just as bad. In all these games whenever you sit down to play with someone they always say something like "oh, so you're still playing X (an old card/ship)? No-one plays that any more. They play Y (a recently released card/ship)." It made my skin crawl. Its the very definition of pay to win.

Haven't seen this with X-Wing yet. We are just getting to wave 4 and people are still flying x-wings and tie fighters (the very first ships) in very competitive builds. In fact, most of the winning builds in our area include those ships.

Hopefully I'm not derailing the conversation. As for Blue moon, I'm excited to get this on the table. I've had it since Wednesday. Card layout is nice and easy. Card art is great, though some of it surprises me as it is from FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madcapmartini wrote:
I was trying to say that I'm hoping this game satisfies my LCG itch without actually being an LCG, though it apparently was one initially, and I assume, given FFG's tendencies, that it will become one again.

Actually Blue Moon predated LCGs, it was an LCG before here were LCGs. And most of it was designed and announced when the initial gas was.

As for any plans to expand further, well, that depends on FFG, Reiner Knizia and what the terms are between them. Plus of course things like sales. But if to maintain quality (which I don't see Reiner wanting to give up) it's a lot of work to create even one deck (that's not just guesswork, been there, seen it happen, even helped).

So, who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kcBagz wrote:
Card art is great, though some of it surprises me as it is from FFG.

Not really. The card art was commissioned by Kosmos for Blue Moon. FFG were a licensee then. How much input they had then, no idea. Now, they have no (sensible financial) choice than to use what exists. When the artwork was reused for Blue Moon City it was heavily cropped, but while it's mostly more cropped this time (but there is at least one card you can see details cropped off the original Blue Moon card) it's not cropped in a censorious way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.