7 Posts

Hordes» Forums » General

Subject: Trying to "get back into it". Advice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bippy the Goat
msg tools
mbmb
I really got into Hordes when it was new, bought a bit of each faction, then couldn't find anyone to play with so its languished. I quit after Evolution.

Now I'm trying to get back into it but I've got limited funds and even less time to devote to researching what is hawt & what is not in the Hordes universe.

1. Which of the six or so books after Evolution should I consider getting first?

2. Which minis released since Evolution have added the most fun to the game, in YOUR opinion?

3. Why is there a cartoony-zombie book out and a baby "brute" that looks to be a few inches high? Has this game jumped the shark and the designers are just releasing gags?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hordes Primal Mk. II is the place to start if you are getting back into it. It is the second edition of the rules, and will have the new stats for all of the models you already own.

As far as which models have added the most fun? That is trickier. I can tell you that I wasn't really a fan of the colossals and gargantuans. My enthusiasm for the game has really cooled since they've come about.

I have no clue what you are referencing with the cartoony zombie. Privateer Press did recently release a zombie game that looks a little cartoony, but that has nothing to do with Hordes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Primal mk2 is what you need. The rest of the books are supplements and you don't really need them, aside for fluff and rules (but all the rules for models will be on cards that come with the models). There are a large number of rules changes from mk1 to mk2, so Primal should he your launching point.

I have no idea what the cartoon zombie you're talking about, but the baby titan is a very useful model. And think of it like veal. The Skorne Empire has tortured titans and turned them into those little guys, they're really annoying models due to their special rules.

There are a ton of good models, but the ones i tend to always reach for are Mulg and Ghetorix (two character warbeasts, from trolls and circle). They hit hard, and look good.

Some of the gargantuans are OK, but they're expensive (points and money) and are sort of an eggs in one basket strategy.

The new warbeast backs coming in the next book look really interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bippy the Goat
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the suggestions.

Here is a link to the page with zombie stuff

http://privateerpress.com/forces-of-hordes-zombies

(FWIW I don't mind zombies but I do mind lousy art)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Callowbran wrote:

That's an April Fool's joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Thomas
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Sell your Hordes stuff and buy Malifaux
2. Don't look back

J/k, but not really.

I liked Hordes when I first played it, didn't require as many models as Warhammer and I liked the rule set more.

Then I found Malifaux, I love it! A true skirmish game. Hordes has gotten too bloated for me, needing units of models I was playing 20-30 models on the table. I have limited time and money, painting a unit is a pain. I would rather paint 10 unique models and have more than enough for a full force for a full 50 point game. I also love the card mechanics much more than dice.

Anyway, for Hordes everything people above me said is what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bippy the Goat
msg tools
mbmb
often wrote:
Callowbran wrote:

That's an April Fool's joke.

Ah, that is fortunate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.