Subject: Magic in Diskwars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Vampire Counts spoiler has really revealed the potential for magic in Diskwars. As the preview says, the Vampire Counts Command Cards allow them to have a Magical effect in every round of the game.

This could be huge. I had sort of thought of magic the way it was in the core, without considering it's huge potential to move and change the game. I'm seriously hoping that magic options get expanded for all armies in the future. Obviously High Elves are ripe for this, but Empire has it's own history of magic, and Orc magic was one of my favorite things about the mini's game.

What do you think of the expansion of magical options?

Also, are there any other parts of the mini's game that haven't been really explored in this game yet that we might have to look forward too? I'd love to see how they handle siege warfare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I'd always assumed that the magic aspect would be expanded (after all the potential was always there). It is one of the best ways to expand on the command card system.

I'm less certain about siege warfare as I think the way the game is designed isn't very conductive to it. Maybe they could figure out a way to make it work but as it is now, I think that units move to quickly, combat is a bit too offence favouring, and the way the terrain is set up doesn't really encourage siege warfare or simulate storming a fortress very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Velensk wrote:
I'd always assumed that the magic aspect would be expanded (after all the potential was always there). It is one of the best ways to expand on the command card system.

I'm less certain about siege warfare as I think the way the game is designed isn't very conductive to it. Maybe they could figure out a way to make it work but as it is now, I think that units move to quickly, combat is a bit too offence favouring, and the way the terrain is set up doesn't really encourage siege warfare or simulate storming a fortress very well.

I agree 100% on your observations about siege warfare in Diskwars. But I suppose that's also part of the reason I'd love to see how they would tackle it. If they could find a good way to handle it, it could really add a whole new dimension to the game. That said, it may be too hard to go back and do that now. The disks currently in the game don't lend themselves well to that sort of game, so it may well be a pipe dream on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
He's not talking about siege range attacks, he's talking about a conflict involving a fortification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siege might be more interesting if there were larger number of the more basic units in play.

Maybe siege mode could be a way to play 3v3 across three battlefields, rather than literally taking the assault the walls theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Velensk wrote:
He's not talking about siege range attacks, he's talking about a conflict involving a fortification.

Yes. This is what I meant. Not 'siege range'.

I imagine siege fortifications giving defensive bonuses and having some mechanic to keep them from being easily crossed from the attacking side. Also, I imagine them blocking los to anything on either side, regardless other elevated terrain. Or perhaps just units within short of the fortification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only vaguly familiar with the WH minis game but it seems to me that it is based in the epic level of battle. WHDW seems to fall more in line with WH:40K, a tactical squad based game. Because of this, I don't see much of an oppertunity for siege warfare. This is not to say you can't strong point your troops using the terrain modifiers and take a defensive posture to grind your advancing opponent to dust, but that is hardly the style of siege combat you are hoping for. Who knows, if they keep expanding the game we may see it grow to be more epic like its mini based counterpart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the only thing about them ramping up magic a lot is that it leaves no options for the dwarfs. they do not use magic at all in the minis game, only practicing awesome custom magic item creation and sort of counter magic. It would be pretty boring to see dwarfs just get dispelling sort of things. Maybe they could give them ability to purchase rune tokens with effects to place on some units as they purchase troops in army building stage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.