Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Fisher
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I'm looking for recommendations of a boat game, preferably using old school sailing ships like Pirates of the spanish main, but plays like Crimson skies. It is a flight simulator type of game, where you can pick your planes and battle it out in a somewhat realistic simulation. Meaning as your plane takes damage you lose features, speed, etc on your plane. Looking for something simular on the boat side, like, taking damage you lose sails, or weapons or men, etc. Would like it to be built around battle. Ideally it would be a cross between crimson skies and pirates of the spanish main.

Anything like that out there?
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny enough, Pirates Of The Crimson Coast is NOT the right answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe wooden ships and iron men?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
Close Action: The Age of Fighting Sail Vol. 1 is regarded as the best game on the Age of Fighting Sail

Wooden Ships & Iron Men is the Avalon Hill classic on the subject, cheap on eBay

Flying Colors is a new game from GMT; the jury is still out on it

Man O' War is an out-of-print, fun miniatures game by GW, with Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs on the high seas... simple and fun

The Ironclads is supposedly a great game of the first steam-powered ironclads, the Moniter and the Merrimack

Good Luck! Have Fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
[
Quote:
Flying Colors is a new game from GMT; the jury is still out on it

This a very good game, simple yet complex where needed. Also, War Galley was just reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest you look into Ship of the Line. It's quick playing and reminds me very much of Crimson Skies. Best of all, it's very inexpensive and you can download it for a small fee.

Plan on using other ships (like Pirates of the Spanish Main) for counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second all of Dr Glaze's picks.

To that I'll add the beer n pretzels game Ram Speed ( can still order online at http://www.decisiongames.com/html/ram_speed.html ) as some of the wargames are a bit heavier than the games you name. You'll love the triple damage ramming rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr glaze et al wrote:
Close Action: The Age of Fighting Sail Vol. 1 is regarded as the best game on the Age of Fighting Sail

Not really, in my opinion. There are some out there that say so, but I'd say it's far from commonly considered to be the best, as it is a bit mired in slow-moving complexity. In my opinion, that honor would still probably go to the venerable old man, Wooden Ships & Iron Men.

(With all respect to Dr. Glaze et al and his obviously informed opinion.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Fisher
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas! I'll have to try some of these out in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heart of Oak: Focused on the sailing part of sailing ship combat. Maybe this isn't as light as you want but still a good game.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7779

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.