Next War: Korea» Forums » General

Subject: lets let the mind wander (AKA daydreaming) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi. I´ve recently acquired NW:K and I loved it so much that I enlisted for the 2 next titles, so congrats. Now, let´s to the point.

NW:K has a big flaw, which is that the DPRK army, even buffered as it is now, really has no chance on an all-out attack on the south. The whole concept is nuts: To assault a defensive line that has been building up during 60 years, against an army two or three generations ahead, while the rear lines are being hammered, day and night, by a massive air-force coming from the east, west and south. Top it with inferior resources, inferior infrastructure and most probably inferior C3i.

BUT, if the US et al. forces were distracted somewhere else (say Taiwan) and some great power could be convinced to lend supplies and air CAP, then the stage would be quite different. Maybe the sheer numbers of the DPRK army would be able to overrun the south then.

That´s why i think that NW:K and NW:T should couple well together, because it makes sense that a PRC/US conflict would see a renewal of hostilities on the DMZ, which now, with China´s aid and US resources overstretched, would be a much closer fight.

But i still think that there is a 3rd leg missing on the picture. Why in hell would the PRC attack the US, when they are faring so well under the current statu quo?. And an amphibious assault on Taiwan is also as crazy as an assault on the ROK. I think that the conflict should spark on a different spot. Something that ignites a chain reaction that pitches the US against a coalition of nations. It is no news that the US is trying to build some kind of "sanitary belt" of military bases and friendly countries around Russia and China, so it makes sense that the next war, if it comes to happen, would be aimed to close, or shatter, that belt.

Now, Korea and Taiwan are obvious choices on this, and i was thinking on an US aggression on Iran, which would be backed by Russia could easily blend together with NW:K and NW:T to picture a "what if" non-nuclear WWIII of US vs Russia+China. Recent events show that a Russian invasion of Ukraine could ignite such a war (fall blau v2.0, weeeeee) also a Russian attack on Kazakhstan would be fancy too. Maybe Turkey doing something risky on the ME...

The question is, are we ever going to see something like the above, to mix with the Korea and Taiwan theaters and put the US military in a real threat of total collapse? Shall we envision a glimpse of the next global conflict, assuming that the game is trying to model armies that nobody knows which exact capabilities have using weapons that have not been tested on the field?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
arubiero,

First, thanks for the purchase of Next War: Korea and signing up for Next War: Taiwan and Next War: India-Pakistan. It's most appreciated.

I fully recognize that the current DPRK probably wouldn't stand a chance. The game, of course, posits a change in structure, some slight modernization, and a revamp of the logistics system. I actually have an article in the works that I may just publish called "The Reality Show" which tones down the DPRK to more current capabilities to allow players to experiment with that variant.

As for coupling NWK and NWT together, as you may already know there are rules for widening the war in NWK which affects reinforcements to the Korean peninsula. In NWT, you can play the same way, i.e., widen the war into Korea and affect reinforcements, but, there is also a section for playing the combined game (both NWK and NWT together) with rules for what can go where, etc.

For the record, I don't think a PRC invasion of Taiwan is imminent, or even highly likely. That doesn't mean it can't happen, and the PRC may be more emboldened than ever by current US foreign policy. I think the trigger for any conflict will be the Paracels/Spratlys, and it will likely be regional in nature. The scenario description will likely contain the seeds of the conflict, as you suggest, that started elsewhere and ended up with war in the Pacific.

Not sure where we're headed next, although there are two likely possibilities: Middle East and Eastern Europe.

Edit: spelling and grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the response.

I left Vietnam deliberately away because the conflict in South China sea would be aerial-naval mostly, and the NW system probably would not work well there, despite the new naval system revamp (maybe an alternate reinforcement schedule could be used to simulate a conflict on the zone). But i agree, it is no difficult to imagine the Vietnamese and Chinese clashing there.

And for the future of the series, in case you make a 4th title, please make it so that it can be meld together with Taiwan and Korea ( India/Pakistan seems a bit off limits here) to add an additional level of constrain to US resources. And put Russians in it. A lot of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
arubiero wrote:
Thanks for the response.

I left Vietnam deliberately away because the conflict in South China sea would be aerial-naval mostly, and the NW system probably would not work well there, despite the new naval system revamp (maybe an alternate reinforcement schedule could be used to simulate a conflict on the zone). But i agree, it is no difficult to imagine the Vietnamese and Chinese clashing there.

And we're actively working to iron this out so that there's at least a credible abstraction to the AirSea Battle in this area.

Quote:

And for the future of the series, in case you make a 4th title, please make it so that it can be meld together with Taiwan and Korea ( India/Pakistan seems a bit off limits here) to add an additional level of constrain to US resources. And put Russians in it. A lot of them.

Not sure what you're requesting since what you're stating will already be included, as stated above, in NWT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:

And we're actively working to iron this out so that there's at least a credible abstraction to the AirSea Battle in this area.

Glad to hear that

Toadkillerdog wrote:

arubiero wrote:

Not sure what you're requesting since what you're stating will already be included, as stated above, in NWT.

I was referring to another theater beyond NW:T, on the same time frame and that could involve Russia as a large actor on the forces deployed (well, as much as the Russians would be able to ), like the aforementioned Iran or East Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
arubiero wrote:
Toadkillerdog wrote:

Glad to hear that

Toadkillerdog wrote:

arubiero wrote:

I was referring to another theater beyond NW:T, on the same time frame and that could involve Russia as a large actor on the forces deployed (well, as much as the Russians would be able to ), like the aforementioned Iran or East Europe.

Ah, understood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.