Hide
3 Posts

San Marco» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deleted User 1
msg tools
With Patrick, David and Jeremy joining us, we split into two groups – Corwin, Rick, Patrick and Jeff played San Marco and Chester, David, Dan and Jeremy played Medici.

San Marco has been on our table a lot ever since it was introduced to the group a few weeks ago. It is one of my favorites. This is Jeff’s first game, the rest of us had played before.

This turned out to be a bit of a different game of San Marco than usual. I pulled into a huge lead at the beginning of the game with Patrick also gaining some points. Corwin and Jeff were way behind – Jeff was still at zero for most of the first passage. Unfortunately for me, this meant I got pummeled by everybody – at one point in the third passage I counted the number of aristocrats we had, Jeff and Corwin both had 26, Patrick had around 15, and I had 4.

In one interesting move, Patrick was to score a district with the Doge but didn’t have any districts to score that wouldn’t have helped me (the leader) as well. It seemed every time he previously scored districts, he was also getting points for me - and Jeff and Corwin were continually heckling him for it. He could have scored an empty district, but decided to quash the heckling by scoring a district that gave Jeff and Corwin’s points, and none for himself! As we shall soon see, this move was crucial in how the game ended.

During the game as we were all jockeying for position and Corwin was contemplating a move that was going to help him, but was also going to help me (the leader). We were trying to convince him that this was the best move for him, as it would vault him into third or second place (but push me further ahead in first). At this point he came up with the quote of the night – “I’m not interested in whether I finish fourth or third or second!”.

The last round was very interesting. Patrick piled up the limit cards and was out of play very quickly. Corwin, Jeff and I played two more rounds before I was out and then Corwin and Jeff played one more. I’ve never see that before!

Score:

*Corwin* - 78
Rick – 73
Patrick – 60
Jeff – 59

It turns out Patrick’s gift to Corwin gave him the win and almost put himself in last place!

Ratings:

Corwin - 8
Rick – 8
Patrick – 8
Jeff – 8

A very good game. We usually give this game nines, but the end game was a bit strange and even more strangely, in every single hand, Patrick was a Distributor – he never got a chance to choose cards. Nevertheless – lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Boone
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re:Session Report
Rick Thornquist wrote:
The last round was very interesting. Patrick piled up the limit cards and was out of play very quickly. Corwin, Jeff and I played two more rounds before I was out and then Corwin and Jeff played one more. I’ve never see that before!

Hmm. I thought that when someone reached 10 everyone else plays just one more round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Re:Session Report
Rick Thornquist (#15350),

Yea.. only one more "extra" round allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.