Subject: Tholian Web OP - Potential Gigasphere Build rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun C
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
This Sunday my LGS is running the Tholian Web OP. I'm kicking around several build ideas and I wanted to get the communities thoughts on this one.

Gigasphere of Doom

Resource: Flagship Independent (Fed) (10)

Borg Sphere 4270 (40)
Jean-Luc Picard (7)
Flagship (0)
Disobey Orders (3)
Mr. Spock (6)
Montgomery Scott (6)
Feedback Pulse (8)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor (10)
Ship SP: 90

Total Build SP: 100

The strategy is simple: each turn Scan with Picard and activate Scotty. I am now throwing 9 dice with all BS results converted to hits. Feedback pulse is there for any Transphasic Torpedoes or Barrage of Fire shenanigans.

What does everyone think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lee

Virginia
msg tools
I ran a gigasphere build with weyoun and spock plus the free scan from the flagship not too long ago, and won a Tholian web tournament with it. However, I wasn't too happy with Spock, since he costs 6 points on the sphere, and has a habit of getting grabbed by assimilation tubules, which hurts if you need him for offense. You can have the same effect from a picard battlestations each turn for only one more point, so that seems to be the current direction I am headed in. Here is my revised list for another tholian web OP tonight:

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

Borg Sphere 4270 (40)
Jean-Luc Picard (7)
Flagship (0)
In'Cha (6)
Hikaru Sulu (4)
Energy Dissipator (11)
Feedback Pulse (8)
Cloaked Mines (4)
Ship SP: 90

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Basically, this is a sphere that is also a sphere killer. 50% of my meta was using borg last time, without many agility modifications, and looked to be really soft to energy dissipators, especially when fired off a sphere that could keep them stun locked easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For six points I feel like Spock is a huge waste, given you can just take battle stations and you have no defense to speak of except your upgrades.

How does this ship deal with a Projected Stasis Field and Klingon Boarding Party? By my reckoning you will be nearly helpless against it, and it really forces tough choices on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with single sphere flagship builds is they only do do two things well, lots of hull and good attack rolls. I would strongly suggest either running the Reinforcement Sideboard or Fighters for your resource instead so you at least have an out versus Weyoun + Conditional Surreneder/Varel shenanigans. Remember that alot of your opponents are going to be running borg as well.

That said, almost this exact build took 3rd/12 and 2nd/4 in the tournaments we had around here but he had Cheat Death and Boheeka instead of Disobey Orders and Spock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun C
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
bdlee wrote:
I ran a gigasphere build with weyoun and spock plus the free scan from the flagship not too long ago, and won a Tholian web tournament with it. However, I wasn't too happy with Spock, since he costs 6 points on the sphere, and has a habit of getting grabbed by assimilation tubules, which hurts if you need him for offense. You can have the same effect from a picard battlestations each turn for only one more point, so that seems to be the current direction I am headed in. Here is my revised list for another tholian web OP tonight:

That is a good point about Spock and the Picard/Battlestations combo. I believe I need to revise my build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun C
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:
For six points I feel like Spock is a huge waste, given you can just take battle stations and you have no defense to speak of except your upgrades.

How does this ship deal with a Projected Stasis Field and Klingon Boarding Party? By my reckoning you will be nearly helpless against it, and it really forces tough choices on you.

Excellent questions. This is what I asked for advice before I ran this build.

Projected Stasis Field is a one-shot that lowers my shield and prevents me from attacking. In theory, if my shields are still up then the Armor should be still online and able to soak up hits that round, yes?

Klingon Boarding Party is more worrisome. That could knock out both Armor techs and force me to spend actions to re-enable them. A well-timed KBP could make my shiny Sphere-of-Doom pop. Do have any suggestions on how to counter this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun C
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
delta_angelfire wrote:
The problem with single sphere flagship builds is they only do do two things well, lots of hull and good attack rolls. I would strongly suggest either running the Reinforcement Sideboard or Fighters for your resource instead so you at least have an out versus Weyoun + Conditional Surreneder/Varel shenanigans. Remember that alot of your opponents are going to be running borg as well.

That said, almost this exact build took 3rd/12 and 2nd/4 in the tournaments we had around here but he had Cheat Death and Boheeka instead of Disobey Orders and Spock.

I have never *seen* my group run Conditional Surrender so far. That doesn't mean they never will. Your point is well-made.

I appreciate the advice on the sideboard/fighters. That is something I will consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lee

Virginia
msg tools
I haven't seen conditional surrender either in my tournaments, but if you are really afraid of it, switch out Picard in my build for a tactical drone, and the feedback pulse for assimilation tubules. It makes you a bit softer to energy dampening builds, but that is life. My current plan for conditional surrender is to rely on damage from the cloaked mines, while using picard and sulu to pump defense to 4 each turn and hoping I can outlast the CS ship. Unless the other ship is also a gigasphere, I should win on points when time is called if the mines don't get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superiormirage wrote:
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:

Excellent questions. This is what I asked for advice before I ran this build.

Projected Stasis Field is a one-shot that lowers my shield and prevents me from attacking. In theory, if my shields are still up then the Armor should be still online and able to soak up hits that round, yes?

Klingon Boarding Party is more worrisome. That could knock out both Armor techs and force me to spend actions to re-enable them. A well-timed KBP could make my shiny Sphere-of-Doom pop. Do have any suggestions on how to counter this?

The PSF alone doesn't stop the Hull Armor but in concert with KBP it's deadly.

Suggest Miles O'Brien or I Am Kohn-Ma to stop the PSF the round you think it'll hurt the most, but that's only a stop gap measure unless you're very slick with your maneuvers. Going with Assimilation Tubules would allow you to counter the combo, but requires running a Borg captain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.