Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pu Dinman
United States
McAllen, TX
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love board games. I buy 5 or so per year. BGG has been an invaluable resource but it seems to me that there are more games coming out than I can possibly keep up with. Kickstarter has magnified the problem in recent times. Too much product! I haven't been excited about a new release in awhile -maybe Caverna but the availability issues have dampened my enthusiasm. It seems every time I hit the Geek, there's an announcement for a new game. And they all sound so similar to other games it's getting hard to differentiate.

This is probably a good problem to have, but does this bother anyone as much as it bothers me? I think this is actually a bad thing for the industry. It reminds me of the first big bust in the video game industry; so many titles from so many companies -and so few quality releases. I'm just waiting for the "E.T." of boardgames . . . although I can think of a few candidates.

What say you, fellow Geeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't bother me ... how can more products be bad for an industry? More to like, more to buy to interest a larger audience. It's like saying let's not them publish more books, there's too many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume that the problem might be more product than there is growth in consumer interest, which makes it harder on the people selling things to make a profit on their work. But I'm not an economist so I could be way off.
Personally I would love to own another hundred games, but I've had four in shrink on the shelf for almost a year now because I've already gone way over what my family/friends play with the modest collection I have open and in use. As much as I'd love to own more, I'm pretty much done buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
Doesn't bother me ... how can more products be bad for an industry? More to like, more to buy to interest a larger audience. It's like saying let's not them publish more books, there's too many.

I totally agree; the more games to select from, the better it is for gamers.

And the industry will self-regulate through supply-and-demand. The best titles will get sell well, while the weak titles will die, and the publishers will learn and invest accordingly in future titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to not even look at games before they're out for at least a year (unless my geekbuddies make a strong point otherwise). Let everybody make games, the good ones will float to the surface given some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:

An over saturation increases the number of bad games on the market and when people get burned enough they start ignoring new games.

The North American video game crash of 1983 is an example of the dangers of an over saturated market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, time to find one of those threads that the industry is dying because they aren't releasing enough...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good thing for the industry in general. The more important thing is either have a huge wallet or good self control.

We don't need to "keep up" with the new releases. Wait for a while for people to play and write reviews about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Tend to not even look at games before they're out for at least a year (unless my geekbuddies make a strong point otherwise). Let everybody make games, the good ones will float to the surface given some time.]

Seems to be the best way to do it now. Most of the Kickstarter games that are coming out are complete crap, might hit the table once or twice and that's it, then back to playing solid enjoyable games. Most of these games will never be in the top 1,000 games on the Geek here. As mentioned people coming to gaming will be put off by this huge flood of games to pick from, if they pick some off the crappy ones, odds are they will, this will deter them from gaming again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I can kind of see how this could be potentially bad. Similar to the above post about video games, in the past it happened with stand up comedy. Everybody thought they were a comedian and the market became saturated with many bad comics. It hurt the industry over all as both poor venues and poor comics flooded the scene. I can see parallels to games and designers.

I am not exactly sure if this is happening or will happen with board games, but I do understand the concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some argue that wargames suffered from over saturation in the late 70s, but I don't know much about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nastycleavage wrote:
Most of these games will never be in the top 1,000 games on the Geek here.

... much like most of the games which DON'T use Kickstarter. Your point?

Was there really a time when just the fact that a game had been published meant a person who tried it was likely to have a good time and come back for more?

And you can't say "sure, as long as it was from a reputable publisher". New players don't know which publishers are good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

"These are the times that try men's souls."

-- Thomas Paine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take up thrifting, and then only look for OOP classics. You may not get five games a year, but teh bragging rights on the ones you do get will give you that warm glow that you can only get from smug self satisfaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall, it is a good thing. As said before, the good games will rise and hopefully stay in print for those who didn't get in on the ground floor.

People could suffer from a "gotta cach 'em all" mentality, but that can only be positive for the industry.

I had a goal to have a good wargame collection and a good family game collection. I have reached those goals for the most part. I have a few things on my Amazon wishlist, but I've not backed any KickStarters as of yet.

I would rather see more reprints though instead of new titles. Leaving people late to the party to be gouged on eBay is bad for the industry IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TracerBullet wrote:
People could suffer from a "gotta cach 'em all" mentality, but that can only be positive for the industry.

Good for the industry perhaps, but what about the people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
TracerBullet wrote:

Good for the industry perhaps, but what about the people?

Capitalism cares only for the people who can buy more shelf space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, MY reaction to this situation is what bothers me. There is nothing wrong with this state of affairs in principle, but I am one of those who does feel tempted to buy everything that sounds interesting. The fact that games tend to be printed and then maybe not reprinted for a long time (if ever) makes this even worse.

Since I can't single handedly change this current reality, my goal is instead to change my own behavior and thought process.

puddinman wrote:
I love board games. I buy 5 or so per year. BGG has been an invaluable resource but it seems to me that there are more games coming out than I can possibly keep up with. Kickstarter has magnified the problem in recent times. Too much product! I haven't been excited about a new release in awhile -maybe Caverna but the availability issues have dampened my enthusiasm. It seems every time I hit the Geek, there's an announcement for a new game. And they all sound so similar to other games it's getting hard to differentiate.

This is probably a good problem to have, but does this bother anyone as much as it bothers me? I think this is actually a bad thing for the industry. It reminds me of the first big bust in the video game industry; so many titles from so many companies -and so few quality releases. I'm just waiting for the "E.T." of boardgames . . . although I can think of a few candidates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Kwill2 wrote:

An over saturation increases the number of bad games on the market and when people get burned enough they start ignoring new games.

The North American video game crash of 1983 is an example of the dangers of an over saturated market.

And yet after a few years of "crash", they came back with a much better quality to them because the publishers were now careful.

Boardgames are never going away. We're in a "high" of production, with thousands of new titles each year. Sooner or later it will go down significantly then find a balance and will continue to have new titles come out, some good, some bad and life will go on.

Like the Comic-book craze of the 90s, which saw Image comics, IDW publishing and many others come out. Tons of new comic titles came out. There were like 4 major Spider-Man comic series running at the same time and comic shops were everywhere... Tons of crap started coming out.
Then sales were down. Market saturation. Publishing companies got smaller, published less titles.

Yet here we are, in 2014, and comics are still being made. Comic shops converted to hybrid comic 'n gaming stores and the industry continues to work.

In parallel to the comic "boom" of the 90s were the RPG "boom". It saw the emergence of many new companies like White Wolf with Vampire: The Masquerade and tons of new properties. There were hundreds of RPGs produced. Things stabilized in the 2000s and boardgames took the place of the RPG books in stores.

Boardgames will go lower in production and quantity of titles... but they'll still be produced no matter what happens. The market WILL "crash", but it will be a crash against a foam wall. The wall will break, the car will slow-down a bit and it'll continue at a slower pace that's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I'm sure that the first game I publish will be the industry's first "E.T.". The punch line is that it will be a free PnP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont like big cakes either as they make me fatter than small cakes.

Nor do I like a sunny day, it shines too bright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cptwacky wrote:
I'm sure that the first game I publish will be the industry's first "E.T.". The punch line is that it will be a free PnP.

I don't count that as publishing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb

It is possible that as so many games are published per year, some excellent games are being lost in the noise. The worry then is that they will never get the recognition that they deserve, and will eventually go OOP.

There are great films that very few people see because the hype and marketing is elsewhere. There are excellent unheard albums out there for the same reason. Can we really state with certainty that board games are immune to the same problem?

Genuine question: How common is it for a game to start climbing the BGG rankings 3 years (say) after being published, and gain a belated reputation of greatness? I posit that such a situation is rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More choices is a good thing. But, as with all choices, you have to do your homework and choose responsibly. Don't worry about "keeping up" - just buy what you enjoy, and enjoy what you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puddinman wrote:

I feel this with computer wargaming, and I have felt it with tablet gaming. I suspect some likely feel it with MMO gaming or shooters too.

Maybe, if they raised the prices by triple, I would actually need to be choosy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.