Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a 2006 post here and wonder if the game is still being played?

Has C&CA absorbed the time and energy you might have spent on this game?

I've read the rules and see plenty of things that are "different" with AdvVLE, compared to BC or CCA-- looks like it is its own game. Just wondering if anyone else is really paying attention to this one or if, with CCA 2 coming out in a month or so that there is still life and interest in this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Desadier
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mb
Kevin,

I have posted pictures of my last game. We play this game a lot. I like the way it plays and the tweaks that he has over BC.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious which version you are playing.

I got a copy of the game -- of course, everything in it is in Italian.

I've downloaded everything there is here at BGG and they do not do a very good job of labelling the different documents.

I've finally figured out that there is an "advanced" game (which went beyond BC) and then a totally different advanced game, which uses the BC style dice only to see how many units you can use and puts a shooting number on everything and you need a 10 and 6 sided dice to play it. (And the rules translation is really, really bad.)

Some places are talking about a "histo dice" system-- which of these is that?

There are "English cards" here but only the 20 "new" cards that go with the new system-- an unusual design (each player has 10 and mostly gets to pick what card will be in his hand) that I really think I don't like as much as the 74 card system, albeit that one is more random/luck oriented.

So which are you playing-- or are there other systems I don't know about?

(And did you get the Austrians and Russians from here or just go straight for minies?)

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Desadier
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mb
I am using v1.4 of the basic rule set. This set has the new changes or additions highlighted in RED. The game uses the original 72 cards that I redid in English.

In this version you play 6 turns with each turn broken down further to 6 rounds which represent 10 minutes of time. Each player has his set of 36 cards that are shuffled and dealt. You have to play out all 6 cards before you re-draw a new hand. You play a card and your oppenent plays a card at the same time. The player who plays a card that actives more units, moves first and then alternate from there. A special order card goes before all others, and if you tie, French goes first.

Histo dice was a different version of the most recent system of using the 10 and 6 sided dice.

They also have a conversion to mini’s rules set.

I just went straight to mini’s and have not used the cardboard stand ups. I expanded the board hexes to 2 inches in line with Battle Cry and others. The basic board is the same as if you placed two Battle Cry boards one above the other, as some have done for the larger dual board games.

Hope this helps.

Mr Mulder from this site was a big help in his reviews that got me into this system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Mr Mulder from this site was a big help in his reviews that got me into this system.

That's certainly true-- without his translation work, there would not be a playable English version of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hills
United Kingdom
Portslade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still playing, played Waterloo scenario last week & we plan to rattle through Quatre Bras & Ligny tomorrow night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to get a copy from another gamer this past summer, and I'm looking forward to getting into it next week (after finals). I'm thinking of using Risk or Napoleon in Europe minis instead of cutting out the standups, and going straight into the Advanced Game. A few thoughts after looking things over:

1) It looks as though the Advanced game will be much less solitaire-friendly than the Basic Game. Opinions?

2) I'm wondering if it is worth the trouble tracking down the "Advanced Upgrade Kit". Does anyone else have this, and was it worth it for the Advanced Game cards and stickers?

3) Anyone have any opinions on which are the best (balanced, challenging for both sides) scenarios?

4) When using minis from other games, what are people using to represent the generals in the Advanced Game?

5) While I don't mind the standup units and plastic chits, the cards for the basic game look very flimsy. All in all, it's a disappointing physical presentation of an interesting-looking game.

6) Does anyone know if the Russian and Austrian online expansion was planned from the beginning, or was it a later idea? Again, it's disappointing that it wasn't included, along with the green & white stands for those using the cutouts.

I enjoy the Commands & Colors system, and this seems to be an interesting variant on the basic idea. It would be great if someone would pick this up and improve the presentation. Seems like a natural after the success of M'44 and C&C:Ancients.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the "original" version (arranging six cards to play through a one-hour "turn") better than the revised version, which I understand was necessary because of legal issues related to Vl'E being an unauthorized derivative of Battle Cry.

I use figures from my "La Petit Armee" game. Infantry are based four to a stand, so one stand works fine for an infantry unit. Guns are mounted one per stand with a crew figure. Cavalry are two per stand. The figures are the Napoleonic-styled "Risk" figures. One could also play with individual "Risk" figures; it's still less fiddly than trying to move stacks of chips with a stand-up counter on top!

However, I'd recommend gluing the requisite number of Risk figures to a strip of art matting, plastic or metal to compose a unit (adding a flag is a nice touch) and using a vinyl "casualty cap" (from miniature wargame suppliers) to mark losses from left to right until the unit is eliminated.

For generals, glue one RISK cavalryman to a small coin or metal washer.

I plan to convert the board to a 3D form using "Heroscape" hex terrain. For woods I'll simply glue some railroad scenic clump foliage on top of some of the hexes, and roads can be drawn on with erasable markers. Monopoly buildings will work well in this scale, and if you have the "pathway" hexes for Heroscape they'll make a nice cobblestone base for villages.

To answer the original question, yes, I still play. If Richard Borg's Napoleonic version of C&C is published, then we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I just listened to the "extra" for #77 of the Dicetower podcast, an interview with Richard Borg. He revealed that he has a Napoleonic version of C&C ready after years of tinkering, and that an unnamed company is looking at it.

The rules to advanced V'LE really do read as being quite a different game from C&C, though. Looking forward to next weekend and trying it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Ravasi
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
"6) Does anyone know if the Russian and Austrian online expansion was planned from the beginning, or was it a later idea? Again, it's disappointing that it wasn't included, along with the green & white stands for those using the cutouts"

It wasn't planned from the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And while the game itself is out of print, you can still order the green and white stands.

Yes, it would have been nice having these in the original, and the on-line armies are not easy to print out in a way that matches the original (since the original sheets are larger than the 8.5x11" that is the common paper/printer size-- at least in the US.) When I saw how much different they would look if I did a "fit to paper size" printing I splurged and took the files to a print shop, where they printed them on 11x 17 paper and matched the original size. The heaviest "cover stock" that they had was still much lighter than the original, but spray mounting an extra sheet of that onto the new print out got me pretty close to thick enough.

The expansions also included Russian and Austrian flags for "special action" dice, but I've created an alternative, which I'll post in Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And while the game itself is out of print, you can still order the green and white stands.

Yes, it would have been nice having these in the original, and the on-line armies are not easy to print out in a way that matches the original (since the original sheets are larger than the 8.5x11" that is the common paper/printer size-- at least in the US.) When I saw how much different they would look if I did a "fit to paper size" printing I splurged and took the files to a print shop, where they printed them on 11x 17 paper and matched the original size. The heaviest "cover stock" that they had was still much lighter than the original, but spray mounting an extra sheet of that onto the new print out got me pretty close to thick enough.

The expansions also included Russian and Austrian flags for "special action" dice, but I've created an alternative, which I'll post in Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
the on-line armies are not easy to print out in a way that matches the original (since the original sheets are larger than the 8.5x11" that is the common paper/printer size-- at least in the US.)

Won't they fit on Legal size paper (8.5" x 14")? Most printers sold here in the US will support that format. Of course, that still leaves you with the problem of matching the thickness. I'm thinking mounting the printouts on a couple of sheets of bristol board would do the trick. I won't have time to experiment with it till Friday.

I've ordered the green & white stands, too, for the sake of completeness and because I'm tending now to the idea of cutting out the standups and using them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.