Martyn Joines
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

Sorry if this seems a dumb question. I've looked through all the postings I can find both here and on CSW and I think I now know the answer but just wanted to be sure before I make a big mistake!

Section 5.1 of the Rulebook states: "All ground units exert a ZOC into the six hexes surrounding it." Initially, I read that as 'a ground unit exerts a single donut-shaped Zone of Control into the ring of six hexes surrounding it. i.e. one unit = one ZOC, or, one enemy unit = one EZOC

Section 5.2 then states: Combat units may move after entering an EZOC as long as they pay the +2 MPs for each EZOC they exit AND as long as they don't move from one EZOC directly into another EZOC. Now, because I was interpreting rule 5.1 as meaning each enemy unit is exerting a single six-hex EZOC donut, I thought Rule 5.2 was telling me that you couldn't move from one unit's six-hex EZOC donut directly to another unit's six-hex EZOC donut.

However, although the example diagram possibly(?) allows for that interpretation, I'm pretty sure I've interpreted it wrong.

I'm now thinking that what Section 5.1 means is 'a ground unit exerts separately into each of the six hexes surrounding it (the 'donut'), a Zone of Control. Thus Section 5.2 means that (a) you cannot move from one segment of an enemy unit's six-hex EZOC donut to a neighbouring segment of the same unit's six-hex EZOC donut (unless you do the reversing out for +2MP technique as per the left-hand unit in the example) AND also (b) you cannot move from any segment of one enemy unit's six-hex EZOC donut directly into any segment of a different enemy unit's six-hex EZOC donut.

In other words, if in the example in 5.2 the left-hand enemy unit were no longer there, then Unit A could still not move into the same hex as the friendly 6/5/6 unit (because it'd be moving from one segment of the central enemy unit's EZOC to another). Nor could Unit A move to the south of the central enemy unit either, for the same reason. Unit A could move directly South for +2MP (due to leaving the central enemy unit's EZOC), or it could move into either the vacant cell where the left-hand enemy unit used to be, or to the cell to the South of that, again, both of these moves subject to a +2MP due to leaving the central enemy unit's EZOC...

Is that correct?

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrapperJ wrote:
...Section 5.2 means that (a) you cannot move from one segment of an enemy unit's six-hex EZOC donut to a neighbouring segment of the same unit's six-hex EZOC donut (unless you do the reversing out for +2MP technique as per the left-hand unit in the example) AND also (b) you cannot move from any segment of one enemy unit's six-hex EZOC donut directly into any segment of a different enemy unit's six-hex EZOC donut.

Correct.

EDIT: Note however that if (a) another friendly unit is "holding the line" (per 5.2) in the vacated space, or (b) it is a night turn, the withdrawing unit doesn't have to pay the +2MP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Joines
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great, thanks Ben.

Yep, understood on Holding The Line / Night Turn.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.