Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Preparing to Assimilate Tholians rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Stone
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Hello all, I've just recently started playing STAW and really like the borg sphere as it stands. Bearing that in mind I'm planning to attend our venue's Tholian event as my first event bringing a sphere list to play, but I can't seem to hammer out quite the set-up I want.

Tournament rules are Ship pure, 100pts, no Mines.

Resource: Flagship Independent (Romulan) (10)

Borg Sphere 4270 (40)
Tactical Drone (3)
Feedback Pulse (8)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor (10)
Borg Tractor Beam (7)
Ship SP: 68

R.I.S. Vo (16)
Donatra (4)
Ship SP: 20

Total Build SP: 98

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Since the tournament requires ship-pure (meaning upgrades match the ship they are on) I can't emulate what many other lists do with Picard/etc. Normally I play generic spheres rather than the named one, but I understand how useful it's ability can be against fighters. Feedback Pulse was chosen because I've had a lot of trouble with transphasic torps in noncompetitive play. Everything else is pretty much up for debate atm. The idea with the Vo/Donatra on the side is sort of a symbiotic thing. The Flagship lets the Vo roll 8 Defense dice while cloaked, while Donatra lets the sphere roll 8 attack dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you're bringing the Tractor Beam, why not bring Cutting Beam along as well? Easier than trying to keep Donatra in range for 20 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Illyth wrote:
As long as you're bringing the Tractor Beam, why not bring Cutting Beam along as well? Easier than trying to keep Donatra in range for 20 points.

...Cutting beam is a dreadful waste of points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stone
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I suppose I could/should. I sort of have this knee-jerk reaction to the cutting beam. In most games its a 10pt dump that I'm not going to use, but in the tight ranges of this scenario I suppose its a lot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Whiteman
United States
Middletown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I'd drop the Beam to switch the Vo out for a tougher ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stone
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Not sure how much tougher I can get since with correct positioning and cloak the Vo will be rolling 8 dice to defend. Granted, any hits will be devastating.

A second sphere would be ideal, but Id have to drop a second upgrade. Which I am loathe to do lightly.

Maybe a Gal'Gathong so I can keep Donatra, and do some Torpedo spam?

I've also considered Mar'tok from the Neghvar set to give my sphere free actions, but I'm less accustomed to Klingon setups than Romulans because I only own the Klingons out of the starter.

EDIT: Maybe a Kraxon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stone
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Decided to go for a two ship build but having trouble with a couple decisions

List A)
Borg Sphere (38)
Tactical Drone (3)
Borg Assimilation Tubules (8)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor (10)
Ship SP: 59

Borg Sphere (38)
Tactical Drone (3)
Ship SP: 41

Total Build SP: 100

List B)
Resource: Flagship Independent (Romulan) (10)

Borg Sphere (38)
Tactical Drone (3)
Flagship (0)
Borg Assimilation Tubules (8)
Ship SP: 49

Borg Sphere (38)
Tactical Drone (3)
Ship SP: 41

Total Build SP: 100

Big difference is list B gives up Armor for the Battlestations action. Tubules should be good enough to protect me from Transphasics or other nasty upgrades, but I have this gut feeling that I might want Feedback pulse instead. That's probably wrong, and I'll probably go with the Flagship card, but I'd love to hear a second opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you're going tubules. I'd say go flagship but use the Indy Klingon or Indy Dominion one. Free actions will serve you better than having to lose yours for BS, and it will help you keep your combat effectiveness while reloading tubules. Plus the Flagship text on both of those is excellent.

If you go Indy Dom, place on it the ship without tubules, that'll let you do two maneuvers to get in range and/or out of arc and steal stuff. Makes nabbing things off high skill captains worlds easier, and helps you duck under torpedoes by getting too close to quick. Dropping the second Tactical Drone for Cyrano Jones may also be a nice investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stone
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I can't play Cyrano Jones because I don't own one, and likely won't before the event (maybe after).

I should be kicking myself that I didn't think about Indy Dom. I think the free Target Lock will make up for not having BS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stone
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Just thought I'd mention for those who helped here, the Borg were victorious and I achieved second place in the event.

Game 1 vs Dominion
He brought Gor Portas and a second Breen ship, both with dissipaters, the fighters, and a Jem'Hadar attack ship. The dissipaters killed my assimilation sphere, but my Flagship managed to stay out of firing arc and hug the wall long enough to kill everything but his fighters. Then a bad K-turn put his fighters on the wrong side of the wall when it moved at the end of turn.

Game 2 vs Klingon/Dominion
The important point here is the two Somrows (or whatever the class of ship is called) he brought with stasis beam. Similar to the first game the combination eliminated my assimilation sphere quickly, but because he was forced to use both stasis fields on the same ship because of poor dice rolls the Flagship cleaned up his relatively weak ships.

Game 3 vs Borg Mirror Match
The only real differences in our lists were his inclusion of a Tractor Beam rather than assimilation tubules, and different choice of Flagship (Romulan Ind for battlestations). Since I couldn't assimilate his tractor beam we both floated to the center of the board and started lobbing shots at each other's Flagships. He used his drones for rerolls while I relied more solidly on target locks, which almost cost him the game because he ended up giving me the ability to shoot first. However the dice didn't roll in my favor and he shot my last sphere down before I could do likewise.

Next stop: Assault on Imdaar (wrong forum I know, but its next week and I'm excited), and the Arena OP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.