Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrick Corea
United States
miami
Fl
flag msg tools
mb
Isn't this just time up? What's the difference between two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Corea
United States
miami
Fl
flag msg tools
mb
Oh ok. Sounds good to me. Still excited on the moniker Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug O
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time's Up hasn't been updated in 5+ years. It looks like the cards in Monikers are more timely and relevant to today. Plus, the cards are "edgier" and would apply to more than a pop culture audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OgieGamer wrote:
Time's Up hasn't been updated in 5+ years. It looks like the cards in Monikers are more timely and relevant to today. Plus, the cards are "edgier" and would apply to more than a pop culture audience.

Edgier? Pfffft. We play Times Up with Cards Against Humanity cards. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, kinda, except Times Up is actually a clone of Celebrity, a party game in which players normally just write names of celebrities on slips of paper for each game. So essentially you are buying the cards for use in a game of Celebrity!

The problem with the original version is due to similar interested, most groups tend to end up with duplicates of the same name in an individual game (which works fine, just isn't ideal).

The original game is also called "Celebrities" and, apparently, "Lunchbox".

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a clone of Time's Up. The innovation of Time's Up over Celebrity was the round system. Moniker copies that. So its not inspired by Celebrity, its a direct clone of Time's Up, with different cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OgieGamer wrote:
Time's Up hasn't been updated in 5+ years.

The latest edition of Time's Up Title Recall with updated and added cards was released only 18 months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hague
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Person who made the game here. We've never played any of the Time's Up games and only found out about them after creating ours. But from looking at sample names and the overall aesthetic, it's a completely different experience. Sort of how Apples to Apples and Cards Against Humanity are basically the same ruleset, but lead to completely different experiences in practice.

Anyway, the reason we made the game is that we're obsessed with the folk version and wanted to make the most perfect boxed version that we could. Specifically, we wanted to fix the bottleneck of having to write names — both in that it took a lot of time and there were always duplicative entries. Having said that, some groups do a great job writing their own names, but it usually drags on and makes for a less fun game. Not always, but often enough that I think having a prepackaged version with a tight, curated set of cards is a HUGE improvement for most groups.

What I think we did really successfully with Monikers was to make a cardset where nearly all the names have interesting things to do across all three rounds. That's not usually the case with unscripted Celebrity or other boxed versions (lots of singers, politicians). Ours are weird enough and nearly always have some ridiculous gesture associated with them.

But yeah, this is my longwinded way of saying more is more. I'm glad there are so many instances of the game out there and I hope people really get a kick out of ours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpseat wrote:
It's a clone of Time's Up. The innovation of Time's Up over Celebrity was the round system. Moniker copies that. So its not inspired by Celebrity, its a direct clone of Time's Up, with different cards.

Nope. If you read the description of Celebrities it has the exact same round system as Time's Up. There is no "innovation" in Time's Up other than pre-printed names on cards. It's a Celebrities clone itself and nothing but a commercially released version of a public domain game... just like Monikers.

Quote:
Celebrities is the public domain game on which the game Time's Up! is based. Each player writes the names of celebrities (about 8) on pieces of paper or cards, one per piece of paper or card. The names are placed in a container, and players are assigned partners randomly (there must be an even number of players).

The first player pulls names out of the container one at a time and tries to get their partner to say the name on the paper by giving whatever clues they like, without saying the actual name on the paper. If their partner get a name right, they keep the paper; everything else goes back in the container. Each player has only 30 seconds. The names are passed to the next person, who repeats the process, and so on, with the names going around the table, and everyone getting chances to give clues and to guess, until all of the names are guessed. Teams score one point for each name guessed. All of the names are put back in the container, and a second round begins.

In the second round, the clue giver can give only one word clues for each name (with whatever other sounds or charades they like), and the guesser can guess only once. The round is played similar to the first round in everything else, and the names go back to the container at the end again, for a third round.

In the third round, no words at all are allowed for the clue giver; only charades and sounds (humming tunes) is allowed.

The team with the highest total score from the three rounds is the winner.

Even the Wikipedia page for the public domain game notes the 3 round variant in full detail.

So Monikers is a clone. Just not of Time's Up. Both Time's Up and Monikers are Celebrities clones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
AlxHague wrote:
Not always, but often enough that I think having a prepackaged version with a tight, curated set of cards is a HUGE improvement for most groups.
Alex, have you ever tried the game where you don't write down names, but you can write down literally anything? Names, words, phrases? We find the game far more fun when the clue can be literally anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hague
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
clydeiii wrote:
AlxHague wrote:
Not always, but often enough that I think having a prepackaged version with a tight, curated set of cards is a HUGE improvement for most groups.
Alex, have you ever tried the game where you don't write down names, but you can write down literally anything? Names, words, phrases? We find the game far more fun when the clue can be literally anything.

Yeah, we've been experimenting a bit more with that lately too! For Monikers, we broadly confined ourselves to "lifeforms" — though stuff like A Russian Nesting Doll and Ebola clearly stretched that pretty far.

If we end up doing expansions, I think we'll slowly add in more of those non-lifeform cards. Almost anything works if there's a unique motion or series of actions associated with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played "Fish Bowl" before. It was a lot of fun. Then this came in the mail last week. I personally love that you can just shuffle up a bunch of cards and deal them out to people. When you play games with new people who have never played something like this before. It's much more accessible to them if they have a handful of cards to choose from instead of the entire world of names/things. Plus, you give them something to touch and get nervous/excited about..."How in the world am I going to act out...Josephine Baker? I don't even know who she is...Oh look there is a description of her right below her name." Which brings me to my next praise for this game...there are descriptions on the card so anyone who can read can at least give some sort of clue.
So, even though this is a clone of another game or two, it still deserves credit for being accessible and a whole lot of fun. Great Job Alex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
AlxHague wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
AlxHague wrote:

Yeah, we've been experimenting a bit more with that lately too! For Monikers, we broadly confined ourselves to "lifeforms" — though stuff like A Russian Nesting Doll and Ebola clearly stretched that pretty far.

If we end up doing expansions, I think we'll slowly add in more of those non-lifeform cards. Almost anything works if there's a unique motion or series of actions associated with it.
Nice! My group would take that a step further and make the phrase, "Contracting Ebola in a public restroom" or "Using a Russian Nesting Doll as a sextoy" just to force people to act out unspeakable things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mauney
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlxHague wrote:

Alex, more of the same can't lose, but what I'd really like to see is something pretty novel too. Like an advanced version of the game (used optionally as an expansion perhaps?) that uses phrases. The game would feel different because each card would take longer to guess and it would allow players to utilize more "advanced" taboo or charades like skills/tricks to get people to guess correctly. (ex: "The first word is a type of lettuce...") I finally got my first chance to play this last night by the way, and it was great. Thanks for making such a well-rounded set of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexHague wrote:
Sort of how Apples to Apples and Cards Against Humanity are basically the same ruleset, but lead to completely different experiences in practice.

Celebrities predates Times Up by at least a decade, and the version we played eons ago had the three round structure in place.
It is possible that the Times Up designer (Peter Sarrett) had some influence in the design of Celebrities, but the details get quite murky.

The real innovations in Times Up are the idea of a curated card set (not copyrightable), and some of the fourth round variants. It is SO MUCH work to put together a decent set of cards that we really can't belittle anyone's work in publishing a new set. My copy arrives Friday for a game convention over the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these are just temporally distorted rip-offs of Celebrity Name Game, and don't even have Craig Ferguson. Pssh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.