Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Judy T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there!

I could really use some suggestions on some games. My fiancé and I like competitive games such as Haggis, Battle Line & Lost Cities. I appreciate any suggestions meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons
Arena: Roma II
Race for the Galaxy
Ra: The Dice Game
Blue Moon Legends
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Things I play with my wife:

Fjords
Suburbia
Hive

Games I play with my mom or brother:

Scrabble

I know, I know. But with two people with comparable vocabs this is a fun game. Especially with the tournament timer to make games 50-60 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For lighter games, Jaipur and Splendor are great. So is Jambo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed:
Morels
Aton
TZAAR
Hive
YINSH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Field of Glory: The Card Game - In full transparency, I haven't played it. I own it and will probably play it soon. But I thought I'd mention it because of your liking for Battle Line. BL is my all-time favorite, 2-player, filler-time card game.

Imagine a version of BL where you create formations on the line, then attack the other side with your formations, supplemented by other cards in your hand. Then imagine different terrain types that affect your tacticsat each flag. Finally, imagine being able to reclaim flags on the line that your opponent has claimed. Now add a quick deck-construction element to begin each game that allows you to customize the army you'll have for that particular round. This is what I've gathered Field of Glory: TCG to be based on reading the rules and fondling the cards. I'm excited to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your replies!

Out of these, I have and very much enjoy the following:
LoR: the confrontation
Hive
Yinsh
Dominion (& all of the expansions)
Jambo & all expansions including Asante
Morels, this was is a little lower on the list for us

Race for the galaxy we have but didn't enjoy due to the lack of player interaction

After reviewing the other suggestions, both Blue Moon Legends and Field of Glory have caught my eye. Similar to thedacker, battle line is also our favorite 2 player filler time card game and based on his explanation, I find it very intriguing.

Thank you to everyone who responded meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
If you didn't like RftG then check out Core Worlds. Also you might like Babel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my favorites:

Jambo
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Morels
Hive
The Castles of Burgundy
Piñata
Biblios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Hill 218 is my current go to 2 player game, quick, fun & full of strategy I like it a lot. If you guys decide to move up, Twilight Struggle is very competitive and not to mention a great game. It is however a big step up from what you've listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xgamerms999 wrote:
The Battle for Hill 218 is my current go to 2 player game, quick, fun & full of strategy I like it a lot. If you guys decide to move up, Twilight Struggle is very competitive and not to mention a great game. It is however a big step up from what you've listed.

It took us forever to find it, but battle for the hill 218 is a fun game. As far as game being a step up, we do play much heavier games than what I've listed. However, we are trying to find some more shorter games that we can squeeze in on weeknights. But I'll definitely take a peek at twilight struggle as a possible add to our weekend games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's new, but I can't say enough about the dueling game Star Realms. If you like player interaction, it has it in spades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my wife and i game quite a bit and our current favorites include:

agricola: all creatures
le havre: inland port
innovation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Innovation. Few games come close to it. Here's a great overview (earlier in the video, he does a pretty good rules explanation as well).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAFVDUgJqts#t=895

Look into Puzzle Strike (Third Edition). Lots of interaction and replayability, one of the games I'll never get rid of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ju__dy wrote:

Race for the galaxy we have but didn't enjoy due to the lack of player interaction

How many times did you play? To me it feels like it has more player interaction than something like Lost Cities, particularly at 2-player. It's not confrontational like Hive, but it matters role your opponent picks and successfully predicting what roles they're going to pick from the cards they have down can win you the game. It did take me a few games to get to the point where I was watching what my opponents were doing and planning based on that though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars Arena

Android: Netrunner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Targi - awesome 2p-only game
+1 Jaipur
+1 Agricola: All Creatures Great and Small

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brzuziwski
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
More Monskers
badge
I am blue
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for Jaipur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Ju__dy wrote:

How many times did you play? To me it feels like it has more player interaction than something like Lost Cities, particularly at 2-player. It's not confrontational like Hive, but it matters role your opponent picks and successfully predicting what roles they're going to pick from the cards they have down can win you the game. It did take me a few games to get to the point where I was watching what my opponents were doing and planning based on that though.

We played a couple of times with 2 and 5 players and still didn't like it. For what it was, we just didn't find it very enjoyable. The times we played a a larger group, a friend brought his expansion which we played. He seemed to enjoy it, but it didn't have the it factor we were looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterchief1 wrote:

We LOVE Mage Wars and own all of the expansions. But for some reason, it usually takes us a good 3 hours to play which is kinda why it comes out to the table once in a while. (My rule, no Mage Wars after 8pm on a weeknight ) other than that, the game is amazing!

Andriod Netrunner- I typically don't like deck construction; Mage Wars is an exception bc it's harder to throw a deck out of balance with the mechanics of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like battle line but dislike RftG I recommend you ignore these suggestions:
Jaipur
Agricola ACBaS
San Juan

Treat the following with caution:
Targi
Biblios
Fresco
The Castles of Burgundy
Rahdo has done a run through of each of these so you can get a detailed view of them if you want to investigate further.

Listen to the following:
Innovation
Seasons

I addition I recommend you consider the following games:
Letters from Whitechapel - This game is very interactive and tense. This is a battle of wits that works best with 2 people. The only reservation I have at recommending is that the theme is quite gruesome and divisive (my wife loves the theme, but it's all down to personal preference).

Summoner Wars: Master Set - Gives a comparable, if simplified, experience to Mage Wars, but takes a lot less time.

A Few Acres of Snow - Fancy a twist on dominion that turns the game into a horrible knife fight, where you not only have to deal with your opponent, but your uncooperative deck? One of the best deckbuilders out there and the most interactive.

Keyflower - This game is so angry. At face value the mix of auctions and worker placement makes it look like yet another over-cluttered kitchen sink game, but the subtlety that the three different coloured workers introduces adds a really interesting layer to the game. One that incidentally, makes it one of the most frustrating auction games you'll ever play. If you think of the workers as currency, placing one in an auction, locks the whole auction into that colour. So if you know your opponent is weak in a particular colour, you can intentionally early bid to lock down parts of the board. This inevitably leads to much swearing, but if you enjoy more robust interaction, this is a near perfect game.

Troyes - This is another excellent high interaction euro. Despite having dice, the game is very low luck as there are mechanisms for mitigating, not least of which it the ability to buy your opponents dice before they can use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DAAAN wrote:
If you like battle line but dislike RftG I recommend you ignore these suggestions:
Jaipur
Agricola ACBaS
San Juan

Treat the following with caution:
Targi
Biblios
Fresco
The Castles of Burgundy
Rahdo has done a run through of each of these so you can get a detailed view of them if you want to investigate further.

Listen to the following:
Innovation
Seasons

I addition I recommend you consider the following games:
Letters from Whitechapel - This game is very interactive and tense. This is a battle of wits that works best with 2 people. The only reservation I have at recommending is that the theme is quite gruesome and divisive (my wife loves the theme, but it's all down to personal preference).

Summoner Wars: Master Set - Gives a comparable, if simplified, experience to Mage Wars, but takes a lot less time.

A Few Acres of Snow - Fancy a twist on dominion that turns the game into a horrible knife fight, where you not only have to deal with your opponent, but your uncooperative deck? One of the best deckbuilders out there and the most interactive.

Keyflower - This game is so angry. At face value the mix of auctions and worker placement makes it look like yet another over-cluttered kitchen sink game, but the subtlety that the three different coloured workers introduces adds a really interesting layer to the game. One that incidentally, makes it one of the most frustrating auction games you'll ever play. If you think of the workers as currency, placing one in an auction, locks the whole auction into that colour. So if you know your opponent is weak in a particular colour, you can intentionally early bid to lock down parts of the board. This inevitably leads to much swearing, but if you enjoy more robust interaction, this is a near perfect game.

Troyes - This is another excellent high interaction euro. Despite having dice, the game is very low luck as there are mechanisms for mitigating, not least of which it the ability to buy your opponents dice before they can use them.

I think you've captured my taste spot on! White chapel is one we've looked at before but wanted to try out before we buy it. We've been holding our breath for Glory to Rome black box to get reprinted, but if that doesn't happen soon, Innovation is what we're going to buy in it's place.
I'll look into your other suggestions. Thanks for the detailed response. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.