S R
msg tools
In this haunt one of the explorer voodoo dolls was hidden in a 'burning' room. At the end of each turn, if that voodoo doll had not yet been destroyed, the player it corresponded to had to take 1 point of physical damage.

During our game that particular player happened to have the Armor item, which reduced any hits to physical damage by 1 point (no discard).

Technically this would mean that that player would be immune to the voodoo doll's effects since the amount of damage inflicted never increased to more than 1 point.

However, there was some debate regarding whether or not the Armor item should have applied since the inflicted damage was not through combat/a direct hit and was instead being inflicted on the voodoo doll & then transfered onto the explorer. (b/c if you think about it, wearing armor wouldn't do much good if someone's poking at your voodoo doll)

Should we go with the literal reading (armor OK) or side with contextual logic (armor useless)?

Note: The traitor still had plenty of opportunities to win & this situation wouldn't have even been an issue if it had been any other player holding the armor instead.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Huang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played that haunt just as an investigator, and I don't have the book myself, so I'm not 100% sure if this is consistent across editions. I found a copy of the haunts online though, and it says:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Wax Doll Effect:
The hero chooses whether to lose 1 point of Might or Speed. “Fire burns good and evil.”

This is distinct from taking damage, even though the end result is the same (in many games, losing life is different from taking damage). Based on this wording, I personally would rule that the armor doesn't do anything. Giving it to the person with the Rag Doll, though, I would say is useful, even if it wouldn't completely negate the effect.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Rag Doll Effect:
The hero must attempt a Knowledge
roll; if the result is less than the turn number, the hero
takes 2 points of physical damage. “Blood red, rose
death.”

But maybe your book has different wording?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Varela
Chile
Santiago
Region metropolitana
flag msg tools
Got to be the traitor on this one this just this weekend, and i remeber clearly that the wax doll wording said "physical damage". The one you found might be the Errata'd version, with the change done exactly because of this instance.

I'd try to argue with my group to go with the contextual logic on this one. The stress of this Haunt comes from that impending doom that each hero will have looming over them, and having that feeling relieved by an item instead of by actually destroying the doll just takes the fun out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.