Sean Freeman
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Sorry, all fields and positions in this entire industry are totally full. Please try again in 10 years when a lot of the dinosaurs are retired, at that point you'll be too far behind the curve to catch up technologically but you can use seniority to block youngsters from using their superior knowledge to put you out of a job.

Jokes aside, as for a portfolio, if you do GD you should know a portfolio is a thing you never stop working on, and that real-world projects are best for learning and presentation as they have an aura of realism that fake projects lack. I'd watch for someone who doesn't try to blow smoke up your ass about 'experience' or 'partnership', who wants to collaborate and try to get in there, and who has a proven history of completing other projects in a professional amount of time. Again, don't waste your time with losers who want you to do tons of work while they sit back and enjoy the ride.

You know all this. What are you asking here? Was this an ad for your portfolio? I heard from a friend you're a genius with marketing, and now that I see for myself, it's become a fact in my mind. Anyone who passes you up will regret it later, I'm sure your time is valuable and I'd be afraid to miss out on your talent for my projects! Just between you and me, because I like you, I'll tell you this much: everyone who doesn't hire you is going to be behind the curve!

Seriously though? That art is freakin' awesome dude. Good luck, you sound perfect for this kind of work frankly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoyi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Guildenstern_artist wrote:
Sorry, all fields and positions in this entire industry are totally full. Please try again in 10 years when a lot of the dinosaurs are retired, at that point you'll be too far behind the curve to catch up technologically but you can use seniority to block youngsters from using their superior knowledge to put you out of a job.

Jokes aside, as for a portfolio, if you do GD you should know a portfolio is a thing you never stop working on, and that real-world projects are best for learning and presentation as they have an aura of realism that fake projects lack. I'd watch for someone who doesn't try to blow smoke up your ass about 'experience' or 'partnership', who wants to collaborate and try to get in there, and who has a proven history of completing other projects in a professional amount of time. Again, don't waste your time with losers who want you to do tons of work while they sit back and enjoy the ride.

You know all this. What are you asking here? Was this an ad for your portfolio? I heard from a friend you're a genius with marketing, and now that I see for myself, it's become a fact in my mind. Anyone who passes you up will regret it later, I'm sure your time is valuable and I'd be afraid to miss out on your talent for my projects! Just between you and me, because I like you, I'll tell you this much: everyone who doesn't hire you is going to be behind the curve!

Seriously though? That art is freakin' awesome dude. Good luck, you sound perfect for this kind of work frankly.

Honestly that is not what I am trying to do at all. Just removed offending links, I am actually just looking for a bit of direction.

I've been working for an established advertising company for so long I haven't even touched my portfolio in a couple of years, and what I have there has pretty much nothing to do with what I want to do, that's why I am asking here. The type of work I do is becoming monotonous. So it boils down to:

- I really enjoy working with fantasy and sci-fi artwork
- It's something I don't get to do very often
- I would like to do more of it
- Haven't the faintest clue where to start looking.

Most of what I have seen here is need of artists or an established designer in the field. I am just looking for places online like this one, where game designers, artists and plain ol' graphic designers come together.

Edit 645232: My English is shit. Alcohol doesn't help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I am no artist, and have zero experience working within the boardgame industry, so take my advice with a pinch of salt. However, I have a couple of thoughts that may or may not be useful to you.

I am guessing that the best way to find 'proper' work is to get yourself known. If I were an amazing artist, then I would maybe consider trying to do some artwork for games that are already in production by some of the amateur designers on the site. There have been a number of games that have made their way from Print-and-Play on the geek into the mainstream - if you were to have your artwork on one of the successful games, that would raise your profile immeasurably. Cleary for every successful game there are hundreds that never see the light of day, but there are PnP competitions here quite often that get a fair bit of publicity. It woul give you a 'real' project to work on, and by virtue of it being in a competition, your art will get some exposure. Clearly there will be no fe attached to this, but it might be a good way to build the portfolio.

SHOW OFF YOUR WORK! Most of the posts similar to yours have examples of artwork and a link to the artist's webpage. It sounds like you did that but removed it; imho that was a mistake. There is always the chance that your design style might be exactly what someone was looking for, but because they can't see your artwork they will never know.

Also, keep a look out in the forum you have posted this in. The thread below yours, for example, is from someone looking for an artist for a paid job.

Go find amateur designers who are working on a game whose theme fits your art, and ask them directly if you can do some art for them. 99.9% of people here are friendly, and if I were designing a game, I'd be thrilled if someone offered to do the art for me just to raise their profile.

Either way, good luck. Post links to your artwork in the OP so others don't miss it.

Oh, and I'd remove edit 645232 in toto. It's maybe not the best selling point..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Freeman
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
You better put those links to your bad ass art back up man, and I mean ASAP! It was the most entertaining thigna bout the post and you removed it?! What kind of marketer are you!?

You've got major talent. It makes me wish I had a good project to throw your way. You should check out Nich's last post in this forum, I don't know how you are with drawing humans but the theme looks to be sci-fi and pretty cool. At least I think that's who posted it.

Alcohol also. Screw it. Who the hell wants to carefully pick their words anyway, that shit's constipated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Freeman
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
ohh, i get it now, you're a layout artist, i as looking at the creatures in your links

ah, you're also good at that too, so just find a good artist. that one guy a few posts below this one is amazing, I think Nich hired him. Sorta looks like you two would make a great team!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep watching posts, a job comes up every day or so. There are tons of people on here looking for the same thing you are. To make a game and collaborate. BGG is a great place to make friends and sometimes some money. If you keep that attitude, you'll do fine. try the "do it yourself" forum on here too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Freeman
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yeah, and stop reading the drunk posts of idiots named Guildenstern!

Wait, that might be on me, that one, so never mind.

There's a guy with a great portfolio thread close to the top on this forum right now. You should probably exactly copy his format and showcase your own art in a similar thread for yourself. YOu might notice he gets his clients to post a message in the thread when the job's over. That's also a great way to grow client base, as word of mouth is EVERYTHING when freelancing.

Also don't work free/speculatively. I think I mentioned that already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence van der merwe
msg tools
Just do what you enjoy doing, that's all I've done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hire a lot of artists and graphic designers from BGG.
Regarding layouts / graphic design, do you do card templates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.