Hide
8 Posts

A Study in Emerald» Forums » Rules

Subject: Killing Zombies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Crater
msg tools
Just got finished a game and am pretty exhausted of defending my stance on killing zombies. Maybe you guys could help confirm my position:

To kill zombies you need an Assassinate Royalty or Assassinate Agent card, or an agent card with either of those abilities. The rules state that in order to kill the zombie, the cost is only an action and a a card. It then says that you retain the card.

So, our first interpretation was that you just had to show an assassination card as an action and that would kill the zombie. next, we thought we had to place the card in the discard pile.

Basically, it says you retain the card, but it still costs an action and a card. we are assuming this means that you just use a hired assassin or similar card, but instead of removing it from the game, you place it in the discard.

Does this sound right to all you boardgamegeeks? Sorry for the indelicacy, but I was drinking the whole time we were playing.

Dave gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds right to me. Spend the action and card (discard), but does not remove one time use cards from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S├ębastien A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's also how we've been playing it.

As a side note, I've found that zombies are an excellent way of delaying restorationists, as they will tend to stay away from zombies until they're able to kill them, and even then, it forces them to choose between assassinating royalty or killing a zombie and biding their time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Crater
msg tools
Yeah. the zombies are a really interesting part of the game. I used to always try to put them into cities with agents in so I could potentially kill some folks, but found that this led to me losing more zombies and never killing anyone. Lately I've enjoyed aiming my zombie infection at unoccupied corners of the board, especially in cities with low defence. Then, if people want to prevent me from placing all eight, they actually have to waste an action travelling to the heart of the infestation, waste another action killing, and then potentially leave their agent open to an easy assassination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Crater
msg tools
Also, apologies for waiting so long before thanking you guys for your responses. I was literally so wine drunk that I forgot I even posted this query...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a follow up question for this...

I played the game last night and brought the zombies out to play.

I know that when you first use the card you cannot kill agents (the zombies must already be on the board to kill them), however... can you deploy 3 zombies right away on the very first use of the card? I think the wording says "you can place up to 3 zombies in a city where you have an agent, or a city that's adjacent to one in which you have a zombie..."

One person debated that I should only initially be able to deploy 1 zombie, and I couldn't put two or 3 because I would first have to have that initial zombie out on the board. On the second use of the card, I could put up to 3 in adjacent cities to that first zombie.

I said I should initially be able to deploy 3 zombies...just put the first in a city in which I had an agent, then put the other 2 in adjacent cities to the first guy.

Who was right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were correct. Took a little searching, but there's an official clarification here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I was right but I made a grave mistake during the game. I had 5 zombies out, then played the card, put the last 3 out and ended the game. I forgot I would have had to play the card one last time while having all 8 zombies out prior! So many little rules to this game...easy to forget. I have to play it more often (oh darn!) whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.