Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
...What would you like to have included in it?

I've been toying around with the idea of using my ASL stuff to run an experimental game of rpg/wargame hybrid (I'm not quitting ASL , with individual characters as leaders and squads for them to lead.

I've been trying to come up with things to create more of an "adventure" feel for running the game and story telling elements in the form of extended mission briefings and such, pre-battle gameplay in the form of patrols, asking civilians about enemy positions, stealth, recon missions and snipers sneaking around the enemy. Using a roleplaying system for creating characters and playing out the combats is what I'm trying to tinker with to go with using counters and mapboards.

One Roll Engine and the rpg Godlike seem like a good match to run a bit more special and powered characters while retaining the deadliness of infantry combat and having a danger feeling all through the game. This is just the initial idea stage so I haven't really tested how the system would work with maps and counters yet, but I'm thinking that using the squad combat system in the rulebook would go well with representing squads and fireteams of soldiers on the boards.

I think this would especially work well with running commando -type missions for a small groups of elite soldiers that are tasked with making it behind the enemy lines and causing all sorts of havok. If I go the superpowered way, I think it would add a lot of fun and additional flavor to the game, with truly exceptional men leading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
long time ago (maybe SL days) there were personal leaders, where you accummulated experience points for actions (like Rallying, directing fire etc.)

Also a long time ago there were ASL Tank Rumbles, where each player had a tank and put in PBeM orders.

There is also Solitaire ASL, which might have some concepts.

However, you last paragraph sounds more like Ambush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parsons
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
long time ago (maybe SL days) there were personal leaders, where you accummulated experience points for actions (like Rallying, directing fire etc.)

Also a long time ago there were ASL Tank Rumbles, where each player had a tank and put in PBeM orders.

There is also Solitaire ASL, which might have some concepts.

However, you last paragraph sounds more like Ambush

I recall in the last few pages of Squad Leader there were rules for a mini campaign,
You added a leader at the lowest level to the OoB and played the six scenario's in order,gaining points for all you did with that leader,rally/directing fire result kia,CC etc etc and levelling up as you accumulated points.
Scenario's 1-6 as a German/7-12 as an American leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the SL personal leader rules. If I was lucky, I lived to the second scenario. Then I learned to leave my personal character at the back to rally the brokies, and then I figured it was a waste of a leader and gave up on it. You can't be a commander and be sentimental about one guy in your army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the old Commando game from SPI (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5265/commando). It is almost exactly the wargame/RPG hybrid you describe. One very interesting component is the Hero table which provides a way for characters to survive in a very dangerous environment.

I'm still using the campaign leader rules from SL updated with some house rules (I've already lost one campaign leader in my current RB game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
msg tools
mb
Don't forget the Commando Campaign that appeared in ASL Annual 92. This extended the basic Campaign Game to a battalion level with leader promotion and force replacement. It takes place over thirteen scenarios and although non-historical the objectives are Commando themed. Note this is a Squad Leader level game.

The campaign game is still used today at WBC. Each player has a PLC that participates in each game until KIA. Awards are given to the player with the highest points and the player who KIA's last years winner.

You can see the extended ELAN table here, a few pages in...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92482/2013-wbc-squad-l...

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd find a specific unit/regiment/division whatever.

And have the players go through a leader Campaign by playing the scenarios in chronological order of that unit throughout the ASL series!!

You could use the TWILIGHT 2000 Game system...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
ASLChampion wrote:

And have the players go through a leader Campaign by playing the scenarios in chronological order of that unit throughout the ASL series!!

This was one of my ideas too, like taking the First Special Service Force through the Italian campaign. They would be involved in larger fights throughout the campaign though, with more squads and counters to keep track of. Godlike has a supplement published for just this force and a pool of superpowered characters pre-generated and ready to play.

I don't know about Twilight 2000, but I'll look for some stuff to get a feel for it. The characters would be "normals" I guess and probably die faster during combats.

I wonder if I'd need the Roads through Rome action pack for some "Italian" landscapes and a couple of scenarios for the FSSF included. Not having all the boards, I find it difficult to set up suitable terrain for possible scenarios.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

mixykym wrote:
I recall in the last few pages of Squad Leader there were rules for a mini campaign,
You added a leader at the lowest level to the OoB and played the six scenario's in order,gaining points for all you did with that leader,rally/directing fire result kia,CC etc etc and levelling up as you accumulated points.

The system, adapted to ASL, was published in an Annual or Journal.

SASL allows you to follow an infantry company along a campaign, with improvements and set backs.

ASL certainly is an excellent "story telling" game - when you describe a played scenario, you really seem to be recounting "battle memories".
During a scenario, there are many unexpected events which - if you and your opponent are not autistic killer robots - give the impression that you are living a movie, much more than operational/strategical level wargames.

The RPG possibilities are limited, as the scale is too large.
Ambush! would fit to that type of adaptation better, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hong Kong Wargamer
msg tools
badge
http://www.hongkongwargamer.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Janne,

For your reference ..

Personal Leader rules .. ASL Annual 1995
First Special Service Scenarios & info ..ASL Annual 1990
SL:the Commando Campaign Game .. ASL Annual 1992

Warm regards,
Jack

bpmasher wrote:
ASLChampion wrote:

This was one of my ideas too, like taking the First Special Service Force through the Italian campaign. They would be involved in larger fights throughout the campaign though, with more squads and counters to keep track of. Godlike has a supplement published for just this force and a pool of superpowered characters pre-generated and ready to play.

I don't know about Twilight 2000, but I'll look for some stuff to get a feel for it. The characters would be "normals" I guess and probably die faster during combats.

I wonder if I'd need the Roads through Rome action pack for some "Italian" landscapes and a couple of scenarios for the FSSF included. Not having all the boards, I find it difficult to set up suitable terrain for possible scenarios.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Storch
United States
Bedford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done this using the WWII rules called "V for Victory" from Polyhedron Magazine (#156, March 2003) for all of the role-play elements and used ASL for the bigger battles that the "V for Victory" rules didn't cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AS a long time role-player who is about to play his first game of ASL in 10 years I would recommend Savage Worlds. It is relatively simple and it does great action scenes with many combatants very well. The use of exploding dice generates similar highs and lows that are usually present in a good game of ASL and, because the dice explode, combat can be quite deadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.