Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Exploring a supernova race rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
The idea of a race with a supernova home sector came up in another thread. I had some ideas for such a race, but never made any progress with it. Still, since the idea was mentioned, I'd like to present my preliminary ideas here. Mind, this is by no means a fully developed race. Or even a partially developed one. These are just some preliminary ideas.

THE TECHNOVISIONARIES OF BETELGEUSE

Their home sector is a supernova, which can explode any moment. The technovisionaries, wanting to survive that, have two ways of dealing with that: research, to prevent the system from exploding, and colonise new planets, to escape the system if it explodes. So racial powers are:

* At the start of the round, they can glimpse ahead at the techs that will become available the next round.
It's an advantage that becomes void if you play with the variant that you play with open techs for the next round anyway. Perhaps in that case they can secretly draw another tech at the start of the round and replace one of the drawn technologies with that new one.

* They get a free Influence action when they pass at the end of a round. This gives them the opportunity to manage the resources on their white planet, changing them from round to round.

As for starting technology, I could see two options:
- give them one Advanced (planet) technology. That gives the Betelgeusians the chance of placing three pop cubes on their home sector. Given their tech focus, it would be logical to give them Advanced Research, but that would copy the Hydrans
- Give them the first tech from each resource track; Neutrom bombs, Gauss shield and Nanorobots. It gives them a bonus when testing for the explosion right away and gives them a discount when they research other techs. Perhaps OP, but one could argue that it is compensated by the less powerful home sector.

Edit: Don't post when you're too tired to write clearly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said in the other thread....
Interesting idea!

I think a bit OP at present....they will need a bit of nerfing.

I'll get back to you on that...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I like the idea, I look forward to see it developed bit further :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Whymme wrote:
- Give them the first tech from each resource track; Neutrom bombs, Gauss shield and Nanorobots. It gives them a bonus when testing for the explosion right away and gives them a discount when they research other techs. Perhaps OP, but one could argue that it is compensated by the less powerful home sector.

Edit: Don't post when you're too tired to write clearly.


I really like the idea of this, in my opinion it might be more interesting to give them 2 of the free cheapest tech researches (they don't own) at the start of the game (like the discovery tile) since they are safe for the first round, this would give them more choice in the matter and make it more unique for each game.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
disturbedjack wrote:
Whymme wrote:
- Give them the first tech from each resource track; Neutrom bombs, Gauss shield and Nanorobots.


It might be more interesting to give them 2 of the free cheapest tech researches (they don't own) at the start of the game (like the discovery tile).

I presume that you want the player to decide which techs. Can he do so after the starting techs are revealed, or before?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Whymme wrote:
disturbedjack wrote:
Whymme wrote:
- Give them the first tech from each resource track; Neutrom bombs, Gauss shield and Nanorobots.


It might be more interesting to give them 2 of the free cheapest tech researches (they don't own) at the start of the game (like the discovery tile).

I presume that you want the player to decide which techs. Can he do so after the starting techs are revealed, or before?


Yes they would decide, and yes after the starting tech are revealed on the first round. So if all three of the 2 cost tech are out he/she can choose two of them.

Or if say all of the 4/3 tech are out and 1 of the 2 cost tech are out, they have to take the 2 cost tech, then they can choose one of the 4/3 cost tech.

This would add some spice and risk/reward to the race while allowing them to tailor their strategy to their play style or available tech etc. (like going for a more passive route or a more aggressive route)

Edit: clarity
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I thought on this some more and have an idea. Additionally it might make it interesting to give them a choice:

- bonus points if they still control their home sector at the end of the game. (Maybe around 3 to 4 points, 3 points is pretty typical for most home worlds, but this one is exceptionally difficult to maintain for various reasons.)

or

- Bonus resources when their home sector explodes. (Thematically this could be seen as scavenging the remains of the sector)

The choices being to either focus on research and a more peaceful strategy, or a fleeing their now dying home world and invading others.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret option chosen at beginning of game sounds like it would allow for strategy options
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Not so sure that this is a great idea. Eclipse is a game where you adapt your strategy to changing circumstance. You are doing well if you can recognise and seize opportunities as they appear, and if you are flexible enough to respond to what is happening on the board. Deciding your strategy at the start of the game is at odds with its nature.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Whymme wrote:
Not so sure that this is a great idea. Eclipse is a game where you adapt your strategy to changing circumstance. You are doing well if you can recognise and seize opportunities as they appear, and if you are flexible enough to respond to what is happening on the board. Deciding your strategy at the start of the game is at odds with its nature.



The idea I most recently mentioned wouldn't be chosen at the beginning, it would be mutually exclusive bonuses available as the game progresses.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
But wouldn't that make the race too strong? People already mentioned that the race is a bit overpowered. If they get either a VP bonus for their home hex or extra resources, it might tip the scale.

Besides, there would be no penalty for losing the sector. If the sector doesn't blow up, you get VP, if it does, you get no VP, you get compensated for the loss of future resources.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was suggesting at start so others could adapt and it might balance that somewhat over powered ness...?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Whymme wrote:
But wouldn't that make the race too strong? People already mentioned that the race is a bit overpowered. If they get either a VP bonus for their home hex or extra resources, it might tip the scale.

Besides, there would be no penalty for losing the sector. If the sector doesn't blow up, you get VP, if it does, you get no VP, you get compensated for the loss of future resources.


Well so the number would need to be tweaked to make them fair.

And the resources would probably need to simply be brown material resources, to keep it from being a safety net entirely and not punishing if your sector blows up.

With that you have two options:

- go for research to avoid the sector blowing up, (you get 2 free research at the start of the game, not a big deal most races start with 1 or 2 decent techs) if you succeed at this strategy you get a few bonus victory points.

- abandon the sector, it should statistically blow up early on in the game at which point you would receive an appropriate amount of material goods. (this could be debated on from a design standpoint as you could make it a set amount like 9, or random 6 + the roll of a die, or the amount of 2 die rolled.) with which you should probably build a dreadnaught or a couple cruisers and start conquering.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.