Hide
4 Posts

Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » Variants

Subject: Intrigue less variant? Suggestions and feedback would be lovely. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danilo Gallardo
msg tools
So a little pit of a preface here to understand my motivation.

I, like many of you, love board games. It's a passion that I would like to share with as many people as possible. Recently I have started to get my parents into my hobby. They have hit retirement age and I want an activity that we can share that will be mentally stimulating. The first (and only) game I have tried with them is Ticket to Ride which I feel is a nice place to start. However they had more difficulties grasping it then I thought.

My mother had no real issues but my father didn't have a complete concept of the game till the very end, and I still feel that he wasn't 100% their. While I think I would like to continue with Ticket to Ride in the coming weeks, I would eventually like to introduce them to LoD as it's one of my favorites. I do foresee an issue though.

They are both immigrants and while their reading comprehension is fine I feel that intrigue cards may be a step to far for my father to grasp. I understand this means that I will need to eliminate certain quests, and their might be some slight imbalance issues (Skulduggery loses a lot of quests) but I would like to limit them as much as possible.

This is not going to be a competitive environment, I just want a game that is as easy to play as possible where the available choices are all legitimate.

My current train of thought to that end is such:

Placing an agent on Waterdeep Harbor is worth 1 point (along with the future action)

Castle Waterdeep is worth the Castle and 2 points

Cliffwatch Inn(2) is worth a quest and 2 points

Tower of the Order grants it's owner 2 points

Dragons Tower is worth a Wizard and 2 points and grants it's owner 2 points.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting ideas. not sure how they will impact the game, you could always try it out before you play with your parents.

another game you could consider is pandemic. its fairly light and not as competitive. just make sure you allow them to make decisions for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got some solid experience trying to teach older folks hobby games. I've tried with varying degrees of success to teach both my parents and my in-laws a few different games I own over the years. This likely isn't what you want to hear, but if you have to add a bunch of house rules to an already complex (compared to what they're used to) game, then it's probably best to try something simpler. If you like worker placement, you might give Stone Age a try. Fantasy themes usually don't fly too well with older non-gamer people either IMHO, but your folks might be OK with it. My rule with NGOP (non-gamer older people) is the simpler-the-better.
The one I've had the most success with is Ticket to Ride: Europe. What ever you try, be patient and don't bog them down with too many rules. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Gallardo
msg tools
Klaxas: I have Pandemic and will probably try that before LoD, thank you for the suggestion.

White Knight: Not at all, all advice is welcome!

My thought was that if I were to put 2 point chits at the given location they would see and understand that their is something to collect their. But perhaps it will be to much to take in. I do love worker placement games and will look into Stone Age, as I have not played it.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.