Hide
5 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Controlling space while opponent controls the planet. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus
msg tools
In preperation to introduce TI to some friends im playing a game with and against myself, just to get a hang of the rules and how to teach them to others.

Im starting to have a good grasp of most things but a situation occured im unsure about and cant find definitive answers in e rules.

Note that my question isnt specific to Mecatol Rex but since it can potentially give out VPs I figured that there will probably be alot of fighting to take it.

So the situation is that one player took control of mecatol rex and the next round another players moves in, wipes out the opposing fleet but loses the ground war.

As long as this situation stays unchanged (one player holding Rex by land, the other holding the system by space) i interprit the rules this way:

The player controling the planet still has control of the planet for all intents and purposes.
This means he can still claim VPs from objectives to control the planet (but not the system) aswell as the imperial strategy card (alternate rules/SE).

He can fire with PDSs according the regular rules (on adjecent systems with deep space cannons).

He cannot use a space dock (since its under blockade) but it isnt destroyed until the planet falls to an opponent.

Most of this seems okay but being able to claim vps from imperial when not in control of the entire system seems odd.
Being able to fire PDSs to adjecent systems also seems strange when they should be completely occupied with the enemies actually IN system.

Am i reading the rules correctly or misunderstanding/missing something?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Soulless wrote:
The player controling the planet still has control of the planet for all intents and purposes.
This means he can still claim VPs from objectives to control the planet (but not the system) aswell as the imperial strategy card (alternate rules/SE).

Correct. He still controls Mecatol Rex; he just doesn't control the Mecatol Rex system, but very few objectives and cards require you to control the Mecatol Rex SYSTEM.

Quote:
He can fire with PDSs according the regular rules (on adjecent systems with deep space cannons).

Yes.

Quote:
He cannot use a space dock (since its under blockade) but it isnt destroyed until the planet falls to an opponent.

If the space dock is already there, he can use it to produce ground units only (PDS, GFs, MUs); blockaded space docks can still produce ground units.

I hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Soulless wrote:

The Imperial II SC is an interesting case because it neither says "planet" or "system", but I think one would have to recognise that planets are named and systems are not, and hence a player in this situation can score VPs with Imperial II. As you note, it is counterintuitive.

Quote:

Correct.

Quote:

Not so. They cannot produce space units. They can produce ground units, even with resources from outside the blockade, and even teleport those ground units offworld with Integrated Economy.

Quote:
Am i reading the rules correctly or misunderstanding/missing something?

I think your reading is correct. I think it would not be unreasonable to house-rule Imperial II. I think PDS are not all that good anyway, and making them weaker would not help matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
msg tools
Thanks guys, yes i firgot they can still build groundunits.

At least i know im reading the rules correct so youve helped me alot since i feel more confident teachingnothers if i know its according to the book, house rules may come but later.

I can see alot of strategical choices being made in the strategy phase with the only purpose of not allowing someone else to capitalize on those VPs!

Initiative became all the more important, at least when Rex falls under player ownership.
But it IS the strategy phase so why not!

Game ended with Jol-Nar victory (8vp) over Sol (5vp) and letnev (4vp) after 10rounds.

Jolnar managed to score some early techbased points and held a 1-2vp lead through the game.
Letnev COULD have halted the Jolnar advance to Rex early in the round, which could very well have meant a Letnev victory, but a horrible disaster sent their main fleet to a silent death in the dark space, and with Jolnar with a firm technological advantage and Rex in its hands, not even Sol could push them off.

Its was a fun many hours by myself, hoping my friends feel its worth the dedication, though im worried they might find it a bit too...much.

IF my playgroup enjoys it the first time, feeling they might wanna pick this up every now and then, ill be getting Shattered empire right away.

But for first game we will do vanilla with alternate imperial card and age of empire objectives. (No distant suns or leaders)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was REALLY unsure if my playgroup would be interested....one in particular doesn't like long games.

TI3 is now his favorite game.

Now, he doesn't like most long games.

So, here's hoping you get the same situation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.