17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Quarriors or LOTR or wait for Marvel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Spence
United States
flag msg tools
I am looking for a game to play with my soon to be 7yo boy. I just ordered Forbidden Desert on a recommendation here which should come in today. My friend from over seas told me he just got Marvel Dice Masters which looks like it would be a lot of fun to play with my son but it is sold out everywhere.

I called my local store and asked them for similar games and they have Quarriors (which they say sells really well) and Lord of the Rings Dice Builder game. I'm leaning towards the LOTR since we play LOTR Lego Game together and he is starting to like some of the characters. Or should I wait for the Marvel one or pick up a copy on Ebay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Quarriors a lot, haven't played LOTR. I've started getting Marvel Dice Masters stuff but haven't had a chance to play yet.

If you're going to go the Marvel route, I would wait a bit. Due to the intial small supply prices are inflated right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Quarriors, but I had LOTR and ended up trading it away. The original rules were abysmal, but even with an updated release of the rulebook, the game just felt too "samey" each time. Not much variety and it never really felt all that fun. Fell flat here and I thought about Marvel, but it may be a bit of a stretch for my 5yo son at this point. We may try it when he gets a little older though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Quarriors, so take this for being worth very little, but all of the reviewers I've heard have pretty much unanimously agreed that Marvel DM is the best of these dice-builder games. So unless you can get a really good price on Quarriors or LOTR, I would hold out for Marvel. The starter sets are sold out everywhere right now (it's been kind of a whole big controversy). But more are on the way so hopefully by fall we should be able to get ahold of it. And when the scalpers get drowned out, the store price of the game is pretty inexpensive (15-20 bucks for the starter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarriors is ok, its super light, and in my opinion, there are not a lot of decisions to make unless you start adding in variants. It only get worse with two players. That may be good for you though considering your opponent.

For two players, depending on the weight you want, I would go Dice Masters, but wait for the market to catch up. the next release of starters is expected soon, so preorder it if you can. I read that once the next wave sells out the 3rd wave will not come so quickly.

$50 for a starter is ridiculous though. I bought two through MM for $11.25. I couldn't justify keeping them at $50 a piece so I sold them and almost quintupled my money. I'km fine with waiting until its widely available, or even not playing at all. There are so many good games out there, I'm not going to get hung up on one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure on the LotR dice game, but Quarriors is an easy pass for me. I really wanted to like it, but the random factor hurt it too much. Later versions improve that, but I would simply grab the Marvel game instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking at LOTR, keep in mind that it is designed as a competitive game. You will each have dice for Aragorn, Legolas, etc., but you are ultimately competing to get the most glory. The game as printed is impossible to lose if you play cooperative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Spence
United States
flag msg tools
Ok, sounds like Dice Masters Marvel is the way to go. I ordered LOTR but I just cancelled it.

Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Marvel is the way to go, just wait for the reprint. Low cost, cheap boosters, easy to understand rules and you can adjust the game as you want with the deck building aspect. Great game for you to play with your kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Spence
United States
flag msg tools
I'm trying to hunt down a starter kit that's not being gouged at for $50. I'm definitely going Marvel route. I just ordered 40 booster packs for $44. I just need to find a starter kit somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Marvel Dice Masters yesterday (it has only just been released in Finland), it seems pretty good. I have no interest whatsoever in the Marvel universe, or dice games, or anything to do with super heroes, but just got it due to the hype. It's basically Magic the Gathering with dice, and they didn't get sued by WOTC which is a bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saxi wrote:
I'm trying to hunt down a starter kit that's not being gouged at for $50. I'm definitely going Marvel route. I just ordered 40 booster packs for $44. I just need to find a starter kit somewhere.

Even 40 boosters for $44 is a bit of a gouge. They were selling for $44ish for 60 packs.

Also what some people are doing is buying a booster box, and when they open a pack with a super rare, selling off the rest of the box.

I wouldn't buy a large quantity unless it was in a sealed gravity feed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Quarriors, but I love the game. I leanred it with the iOS app on ipad and bought the real thing as a result. The problem with Marvel is its still a collectible game which is a big turn off for me.

I feel you need to play Quarriors to get all the nuances. They also changed some of the rules in later printings which really boosts the gameplay that I *think* the early adopters missed out on.

With the addition of Quartifacts, which adds quests (a fight to get a real big die for your pool), you have more decisions to make. I also really like the subtle use of spells.

I didn't think their was much game their at first, but the more I play the better I understand the subtleties.

If you don't mind the collectible nature of the Marvel dice game, go for it. But otherwise, you might want to look into Quarriors.

Of course if you go MArvel and happen to find a super rare, you could just end up selling it and essentially get the game for free

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Spence
United States
flag msg tools
snowren24 wrote:
Saxi wrote:

Even 40 boosters for $44 is a bit of a gouge. They were selling for $44ish for 60 packs.

Also what some people are doing is buying a booster box, and when they open a pack with a super rare, selling off the rest of the box.

I wouldn't buy a large quantity unless it was in a sealed gravity feed.

I knew they had to be something going on, as just over $1 a booster seemed cheap on ebay. I'm going to see if I can cancel it, then wait till I can get a gravity box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Spence
United States
flag msg tools
Jorune wrote:
I've only played Quarriors, but I love the game. I leanred it with the iOS app on ipad and bought the real thing as a result. The problem with Marvel is its still a collectible game which is a big turn off for me.

I feel you need to play Quarriors to get all the nuances. They also changed some of the rules in later printings which really boosts the gameplay that I *think* the early adopters missed out on.

With the addition of Quartifacts, which adds quests (a fight to get a real big die for your pool), you have more decisions to make. I also really like the subtle use of spells.

I didn't think their was much game their at first, but the more I play the better I understand the subtleties.

If you don't mind the collectible nature of the Marvel dice game, go for it. But otherwise, you might want to look into Quarriors.

Of course if you go MArvel and happen to find a super rare, you could just end up selling it and essentially get the game for free

Jorune

I'm mostly just playing with my 6yo boy, so it isn't very competative. But if I really like it, I will likely go play at my local store if they have a night for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finding a starter kit right now is going to be very difficult. People have said that Target's recieved them. That was a couple weeks ago so odds are against you but good luck....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Spence
United States
flag msg tools
Hagaf22 wrote:
Finding a starter kit right now is going to be very difficult. People have said that Target's recieved them. That was a couple weeks ago so odds are against you but good luck....

I called 3 targets no luck. I'll wait till CSI or someone has it and I will order them with a gravity pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.