Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Why would I ever want to return anything from my graveyard into my deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel V.
msg tools
I've played Smash Up with my friends a few times now and while we're always having a lot of fun there's something that I don't get. Many cards say "shuffle a card from your graveyard into your deck" or "put a card from your graveyard on the bottom of your deck". For me these cards are just dead in hand. I don't see any reason at all why I should even consider doing something like that. When my library is empty I just get to shuffle the graveyard back into my deck anyway. These cards feel so extremely useless... is there any point in them other than the 1 in every 100 games situation where you don't have many cards left in your deck and you want to draw something specific?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you answered your own question but for me it happens more often than that. for example, if im robots and use the card that shuffles all my minions back into the deck, thats awesome, it means more robots to draw, the hoverbot is more likely to trigger with less actions clogging things up, your tech centers will draw almost all minions for you to toss down.

basically it lets you have control over the content of your draw deck, which running out and reshuffling does not let you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, Zombies, Robots, and Time Travelers are the factions that allow shuffling from the discard to the deck.

As Marc mentioned, the Microbot Reclaimer helps reintegrate the Microbots back into the deck, allowing a better chance for Hoverbot to activate, and allowing you to access awesome units like Microbot Alpha or Microbot Fixer a second time. Microbot Alpha is kind of a beast of a unit.

Time Travelers have 1.21 Gigawatts, which shuffles all your minions or all your actions into your deck. This does two main things: The shuffling helps you to potentially access Time Walk and Time Raidered cards again, and depending on what your second faction is, it can help you access those good minions or actions again. Wormhole is a special that lets you shuffle your minions back into your deck, which for obvious reasons is pretty good. Not having to lose those minions for the rest of the game is a pretty good thing.

Zombies have Lend a Hand, which lets you shuffle anything back into the deck. I usually use this card for actions and Grave Diggers, if at all. I do have to admit that this card is generally pretty useless until the late game, if most of your discard pile access cards are gone. Zombies are pretty powerful though, so this doesn't come up as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a couple times, but I was wondering the same thing as the OP. After having read the first couple of responses, it now occurs to me that running out of cards in my draw deck is actually kind of rare. By the time we get to the bottom of our draw decks, someone is about to win. So if there was a way to get the heavy hitting cards back into play before relying on the natural reshuffle mechanic to take place, I guess I would take it.

Although it is funny since Zombies really don't WANT cards taken out of the discard pile... right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
hundreds wrote:

Although it is funny since Zombies really don't WANT cards taken out of the discard pile... right?

But if the game drags on a reeeeeeeeally long time they might not have a choice as they get closer and closer to a reshuffle in which case they lose their entire discard pile. That's when they want to play Lend a Hand as it basically lets them do a "Reshuffle" but leave everything they want in the Graveyard and put only the cards they want again back into their deck.

That being said only a select few factions have the ability to move through their decks that fast and get to the point of a reshuffle though it's more likely in a low player count game.

Robots have both direct and indirect drawing so putting their best stuff back into their deck is very helpful.

Time Travelers however have it really bad. In my experience the only time the Time Travelers felt like they were really standing on their own 2 feet was right before the reshuffle where they could play Time Walk and use Time Raiders and Repeater Perfect to delay the reshuffle and manipulate it so I could play Time Walk a bunch of times over several turns. However Time Travelers are pretty bad at moving through their deck which is sad cause they can't take advantage of this tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelos666 wrote:
I've played Smash Up with my friends a few times now and while we're always having a lot of fun there's something that I don't get. Many cards say "shuffle a card from your graveyard into your deck" or "put a card from your graveyard on the bottom of your deck". For me these cards are just dead in hand. I don't see any reason at all why I should even consider doing something like that. When my library is empty I just get to shuffle the graveyard back into my deck anyway. These cards feel so extremely useless... is there any point in them other than the 1 in every 100 games situation where you don't have many cards left in your deck and you want to draw something specific?

My first response was "Graveyard? Library? Is this a Smash Up thread or did I click on the wrong link?" Obviously you are so used to the terminology of a different game that you automatically think in those terms when referring to Smash Up. There's no real problem with that. But it looks like you are also reading your tactical knowledge of the other game into Smash Up, where it doesn't apply.

The short answer is:

- In Smash Up it is relatively rare that you get to reshuffle your discard pile. I usually don't do it at all during a game. I've never done it twice.

- Some cards have abilities which are very useful. If you have already used them and they're in the discard pile, you will have to wait a long time to be able draw it again, if ever.

- Moving cards from the discard pile to your deck can considerably speed up the time to get the most useful cards in your hand again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.