British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan: 23
Terence: 16
Mitchell: 13
Marisue: 12

For the next game, Lost Valley was selected as the game of choice. Interesting due to the similarities between this game and Goldland.

Since the rules are generally similar, Dan outlined the goal of the game and the differences between this and GoldLand, and we got started off with the exploration.

I found the restrictions on movement distance a bit hard to get used to, which really made the game that much more interesting, as there is so many places you want to go, but it takes time to get there.

Early on, tile draws put large amounts of mountain gold all in the same general area near a forest and the river. While Dan, Mitchell and I spent most of our time in this area in a three way mexican standoff, waiting for someone else to build a mine so that we could steal gold, Marisue went off on her own and found ample supplies of river gold, which was uncontestest for most of the game.

Eventually Mitchell and Dan both headed back to the trading post, first Mitchel to buy a horse so that he could move around better, and then Dan, picking up the valuable dynamite. After a while Marisue went back to the trading post to buy an axe and some more whiskey. I was the only player that didn't return to buy any goods.

With only an action a turn, I spent most of my time slowly building up resources so that I could pick up some river gold and the occasional mountain gold. Dan returned to the trading post and bought a horse.

All too soon, the river ended and the ice began it's journey to the trading post. I stepped up my collection of river gold at this point, while everyone else seemed to be moving around trying to get the best position. Dan built a mine on a tile with three mountain gold, using his dynamite to collect the last two tiles after I had collected the first.

Mitchell headed off to the mountain where the river ended and set up a mine. I picked up a wood on my turn, getting the final resource I needed to collect a nugget or 3 or 4 from that mine. Unfortunately, Mitchell, Marisue and I all rolled high enough to push the ice back to the trading post before it got back to my turn.

In the end I had the second highest score, which has everything to do with being the only one not using collected gold to get goods.

This game proves that while I'm the best explorer and adventurer out there, Dan is the best at using dynamite to blow gold out of a mountain. I still think I'm cooler, but to each his own I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Odat wrote:
Dan outlined the goal of the game and the differences between this and GoldLand

I've played this game (Lost Valley) several times but haven't yet played Goldland and have been thinking about picking up a copy.

So I'm very curious of your thoughts on the differences and which one you think is better (if one is better than the other that is)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kramer is my favorite designer, and I liked Goldland when I first played it. Since playing Lost Valley though I have traded Goldland away. Goldland isn't half the game Lost Valley is. If you already enjoy Lost Valley I would go ahead and ignore Goldland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Sohn
United States
culver city
CA
flag msg tools
Check out my class: https://www.canvas.net/courses/game-design-concepts
badge
How are you today?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan, you think it is better than Goldland. I better get Lost Valley because Goldland is my favorite!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Long
United States
Brush Prairie
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i have both games and prefer Goldland - Lost Valley is more of an American style simulation and appropriately plays longer than Goldland - Goldland is definately all European style - the biggest comparison really is theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

I've played this game (Lost Valley) several times but haven't yet played Goldland and have been thinking about picking up a copy.

So I'm very curious of your thoughts on the differences and which one you think is better (if one is better than the other that is)

Comparing the exploration aspect of both games - Lost Valley gives me the sense that I'm an actual prospector looking for gold uncovering unexplored wilderness. Further to this point, Lost Valley presents a different wilderness every time you play. Goldland will always be a 6 x 6 grid of square tiles, albeit, the tiles will come up different but everyone knows the temple location.

You can go off on your own in Lost Valley - in Goldland you'd better not stray too far from whomever is making a break for the temple, unless it's you - then, you'd better hope the others are no where near you when you are making a push toward the temple.

In the few games of Goldland we have played it was commented how unusual it is to dig up fish or other items you need to move about the map. In Lost Valley everything makes sense - you fish or hunt animals for food and if you need tools or supplies you need to go to the trading post to get them.

Just a few things that come to mind.

btw, I really enjoy both games and wouldn't mind owning both. For now, I get to play both 'cause I know the right people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.