Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Last night I finally got to play this game 2-player with my fiancee. The English in the 2-player section is a little bit wordy and I was a bit confused.

First please let me explain what I did in the game and then please let me know what I have done wrong.

In the first round, no one traded for Air abacus so Dirk didn't have any card until my fiancee drew her card then the 1st scoring card came off the top of the deck. Then we drew one more card to make the market 5 cards and discard all of them to be Dirk's hand. Then we score like a 3-player game. We use a print out from the BGG section and we scored both my fiancee and I but left out Dirk's score but his share mattered in the placing of the score.

Then we continued playing. The card that got traded for Air abacus goes face up and added into Dirk's share. When the 2nd scoring card came up we made sure the market has 5 cards in the supply and then gave it to Dirk face-up and scored again.

In the last round Dirk got all of the cards in the supply market (5 card) plus all the remaining cards (10 cards) at the bottom of the deck AND all air abacus share. Then we discarded our hand (we didn't give our hand to Dirk). Then we score like a 3-player game again.

Please help me out where I messed up. I've read the previous 2 threads and I think we were suppose to give our hand to Dirk at the end of the game but any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played multiple 2-player games in the past and I've never made the changes they suggest for 2 player games. I think the game plays very well without all of the added clunkiness they suggest.

Sorry I'm not much help with your question, but I might suggest to you to try it like I've played it. You may find it just as enjoyable as the multi-player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And how do you play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
And how do you play it?

He means he is playing it with the normal rules and not the variant 2p rules, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to see if I am playing the 2 player rule from the rule book wrong or not. That's why I am confused. robot

By all means I am not playing some kind of variant that someone came up with or I came up with.

I tried my best to interpret the 2 player rule from the rule book but I think I played it wrong.

I am confused because I don't get how to play this game 2 players with multiplayer rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
I am trying to see if I am playing the 2 player rule from the rule book wrong or not. That's why I am confused. robot

By all means I am not playing some kind of variant that someone came up with or I came up with.

I tried my best to interpret the 2 player rule from the rule book but I think I played it wrong.

I am confused because I don't get how to play this game 2 players with multiplayer rules.

I think I am confused about your questions. I haven't played the game in awhile and maybe need to do that before I can help you.

As to playing a 2p game with multiplayer rules though, he is saying that he does not use Dirk. He just pretends that they have more players and plays the game that way, ignoring all 2p rules included in the rulebook. I call that a 2p variant, though it is an official 2p variant.

I will try to play the game soon and I will play according to the 2p rules and see if I can figure out how to help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your question just if you give your discarded hand to Dirk? If so then yes you do I believe. It's been awhile but pretty sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok sorry about the confusion. But isn't it a chance for you folks to break out a 2-player game of Airline Europe?

In the rule book it says:

Face down discard pile
All share cards which are returned to the box during the game are, instead, collected as a face down discard pile.

Note: shares are removed in the following situations:

action (C) "Acquire Air ABACUS shares", or
"Empty the stock market", or
"Bank bankruptcy"

I get that to trade for Air ABACUS I need to give dirk cards. What I want to make sure is at each of the score point, the left over stock ALL GOES to Dirk. I am confused because in a multiplayer game each player take 1 share until everyone has a share and then the rest of the share goes face down. So in a "3-player" game with Dirk do we each take 1 stock and then the rest of the 3 cards goes to Dirk?

I've never ran into bankruptcy but I can see it's a rule in place to prevent hoarding of cash. But I get how it works.

And then the rule book goes like this:

Third Scoring
The third scoring is executed as if three players were playing. Before this scoring, the following shares are placed face up as a portfolio for a fictitious third player:

The unclaimed Air ABACUS shares
The face up shares from the stock market
The remaining shares of the share supply deck
The shares in the face down discard pile

Re-reading the rule book made me realized I've made 2 mistakes.

1) I've scored Dirk all 3 rounds, but instead we only need to score him once in the third round.

2) I've gave all the cards to Dirk face up, instead of face down.

Now I would kindly ask what does the action "Empty the stock market" do in a 2 player game? Do I:

1) From the player that flipped the scoring card, she picks one share from the open market, then I pick one from the open market, then Dirk gets the rest of the 3 stocks.

or

2) Give everything to Dirk

Thanks for your patience and reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Heath
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be easier to think of Dirk as a card collector rather than an actual player during game play. Dirk then gets to score all the cards he's collected in the third scoring phase. So:

Acquire Air ABACUS shares
Dirk gets the cards discarded by the player to buy the share or shares.

Bank Bankruptcy
Dirk gets the 5 face up cards from the stock market (which are then replaced by new cards from the supply deck).

Empty the stock market
Each of the 2 players takes 1 of the face up cards in the stock market. The remaining 3 face up cards are then given to Dirk.

Third scoring
Dirk gets all the remaining cards:
- The unclaimed Air ABACUS shares
- The face up shares from the stock market
- The remaining shares of the share supply deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ian!

I think each player gets 1 card and Dirk gets the rest of the 3 makes more sense card number wise. thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
Thanks Ian!

I think each player gets 1 card and Dirk gets the rest of the 3 makes more sense card number wise. thanks again.

It is meant to smooth out the 3rd round scoring so the gap between players is not as steep (especially on Air Abacus) 16 points would be death to the game for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kudey
United States
Wyoming
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dredry Toenail wrote:
I've played multiple 2-player games in the past and I've never made the changes they suggest for 2 player games. I think the game plays very well without all of the added clunkiness they suggest.

Sorry I'm not much help with your question, but I might suggest to you to try it like I've played it. You may find it just as enjoyable as the multi-player games.

I completely agree. The added changes for final scoring using a fictitious third player make no sense. It's then almost impossible to score the full 16 points on Air Abacus. I actually lost by 1 point playing with the added rules. Had we not played this way, I would have won by 6. Very close game either way. However anticipating what would happen at the end of the final round, I knew after round 2 that it was unlikely I could win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.