Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard C.
United States
Monterey Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what to build?

a) a high skilled captain fleet (designed to win the captain's battle) with high skilled captains...

b) a fast strike fleet (before the captain's battle) designed to do some heavy damage during the first 3 rounds...

c) a swarm of smaller ships (5 to 7) with various captains (designed to win the captain's battle).

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like "A"...

For "B", I would just stay behind the planet to survive... then come back after the Captain's battle to finish your captain-less ships off!

For "C", I don't think mathematically it helps to have so many weak skilled captains. If you fight an opponent with powerful captains, they will take out of of your weak captains before they can turn around and hurt her...

prydain wrote:
So what to build?

a) a high skilled captain fleet (designed to win the captain's battle) with high skilled captains...

b) a fast strike fleet (before the captain's battle) designed to do some heavy damage during the first 3 rounds...

c) a swarm of smaller ships (5 to 7) with various captains (designed to win the captain's battle).

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BruinGirl wrote:

For "C", I don't think mathematically it helps to have so many weak skilled captains. If you fight an opponent with powerful captains, they will take out of of your weak captains before they can turn around and hurt her...

It's possible to combine "A" with "C" fairly well. Here's my first crack at an "extreme" example:

Romulan Science Vessel (12)
Alidar Jarok (4)
Total (16)

Toreth (4)
Total (16)

Letant (4)
Total (16)

Donatra (4)
Total (16)

Khan Singh (4)
Total (16)

Martok (7)
Total (19)

Fleet total: 99

Generated by Space Dock for Mac
http://spacedockapp.org

The idea here is that you try your best to avoid engagement during the first three rounds while you buff your captains on the planet. Then, you cream your opponent in the Captain's Battle, and shove their ships in the corner or edge behind the planet. Then, you either watch them fly off and/or pick them off with your Donatra/Martok buffed swarm, or just run like hell with your 75 points (surviving captain bonus).

P.S. I have no idea how this would really work in practice. Just my first pass at it. It may in fact be prohibitively difficult to keep your ships alive during those opening rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'C' won't work without some meat shields, as the ability for the higher-skilled enemy to attack first - and everyone attacks every turn - mean you'll be losing most or all of your force on round 2 of ground combat before they can attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Illyth wrote:
BruinGirl wrote:

It's possible to combine "A" with "C" fairly well. Here's my first crack at an "extreme" example:

Alidar Jarok (4)
Total (16)

Toreth (4)
Total (16)

Letant (4)
Total (16)

Donatra (4)
Total (16)

Khan Singh (4)
Total (16)

Martok (7)
Total (19)

I'm not sure if we'll get this OP here in Toronto or not, but if we did and I were able to attend, and my opponent flew 6 RSV's against me, I might be tempted to let him/her win just for the sheer hilarity of seeing a 6 RSV fleet actually fielded.

Not saying this would work either, but what about subbing in Clark Terrel for one of the other Captains? You'd have a lower-skill Captain in the battle, but you'd also get a defensive boost to hopefully keep you alive during the space fight? (And with the points you'd be saving, you could stick him or Donatra on the Scout Vessel for the added agility).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
prydain wrote:
So what to build?

Thoughts?

A bludgeon or other blunt instrument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dprcooke wrote:
Illyth wrote:
BruinGirl wrote:

Alidar Jarok (4)
Total (16)

Toreth (4)
Total (16)

Letant (4)
Total (16)

Donatra (4)
Total (16)

Khan Singh (4)
Total (16)

Martok (7)
Total (19)

I'm not sure if we'll get this OP here in Toronto or not, but if we did and I were able to attend, and my opponent flew 6 RSV's against me, I might be tempted to let him/her win just for the sheer hilarity of seeing a 6 RSV fleet actually fielded.

Not saying this would work either, but what about subbing in Clark Terrel for one of the other Captains? You'd have a lower-skill Captain in the battle, but you'd also get a defensive boost to hopefully keep you alive during the space fight? (And with the points you'd be saving, you could stick him or Donatra on the Scout Vessel for the added agility).

Not a bad idea, actually. I'd probably swap him for Jarok, which would get me the points to give Donatra an Interphase Generator, which is a slightly more reliable way to save her than the Scout Vessel, perhaps.

Since the defender can direct the damage to the Captain he chooses during the Battle, Terrell might still be fairly safe.

Another question I haven't gotten a firm answer to yet--will Gen Khan be considered skill 9 in this build during the Captain's Battle? I suspect not, as it is his text ability that gives him the boost, and that is nullified when he is in the Away Team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously we have no experience with the captain's battle yet, so while its possible that the 6 RSV build would be able to win that (decent odds with 6 captains that all have fairly high skill), just feels like completely un-upgraded generic RSV's would get obliterated in the space battle. 6 defense dice while cloaked only gets you so far with just 2 hull (and 1 attack die).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
Obviously we have no experience with the captain's battle yet, so while its possible that the 6 RSV build would be able to win that (decent odds with 6 captains that all have fairly high skill), just feels like completely un-upgraded generic RSV's would get obliterated in the space battle. 6 defense dice while cloaked only gets you so far with just 2 hull (and 1 attack die).

To be honest, I'm just as skeptical as you are. And frankly, I'm not sure it's worth it to me to buy 4 more RSVs anyway. I'd be better off buying a Gorn ship on eBay at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d) concede the arena

Resource:
Reinforcement (10 SP)
Borg Queen (6 SP)
Feedback Pulse (8 SP)
Seven of Nine (4 SP)

Ship Tactical Cube 138 (46 SP)
Tahna Los (4 SP*)
Transwarp Drive (4 SP*) (Hidden)
Cloaked Mines (4 SP*)
Cloaked Mines (4 SP*)
Borg Assimilation Tubules (8 SP)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor (7 SP)
Full Assault (6 SP)
B'elanna Torres (5 SP*)

Equip Seven, pre-arena, maybe get early damage in or not, lose the arena.

If they put the cube in the corner and the planet behind it, Turn 1 (after the arena) Spin backwards 1, Equip the Queen, Turn 2 Transwarp Drive past the Planet, Equip / Act accordingly.

It's going to be a tough fight to make up for all the Fleet Points gained by from the Arena but it's a viable option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinvictus wrote:
prydain wrote:
So what to build?

Thoughts?

Can you build some sort of rudimentary lathe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredcvbgt wrote:
d) concede the arena

Resource:
Reinforcement (10 SP)
Borg Queen (6 SP)
Feedback Pulse (8 SP)
Seven of Nine (4 SP)

I've been watching the new FAQ for the answer to the question about Captains on the Reinforcement Board not having to go to Captain Battle...but haven't seen an answer yet. Is that what you're counting on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
fredcvbgt wrote:
d) concede the arena

Resource:
Reinforcement (10 SP)
Borg Queen (6 SP)
Feedback Pulse (8 SP)
Seven of Nine (4 SP)

I've been watching the new FAQ for the answer to the question about Captains on the Reinforcement Board not having to go to Captain Battle...but haven't seen an answer yet. Is that what you're counting on?

Yes. If they do have to fight...then I might do a build to win the captain fight with reinforcement. It would be like a 10 point ship that can be captained by anybody for 0 SP then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lee

Virginia
msg tools
Here is the fleet I am currently considering for this tournament:

List Name

Resource: Flagship Independent (Romulan) (10)

USS Voyager (30)
Khan Singh (5)
Flagship (0)
Boheeka (2)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 40

I.R.W. Praetus (14)
Donatra (4)
Ship SP: 18

Vor'cha Class (26)
Martok (6)
Ship SP: 32

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Strat goes like this:
Voyager shoots right over to planet to start getting resources. Use cloaked mines early to create a barrier on the edge of the planet. The Vorcha and Praetus cloak, and move over to start taking resources as well. Use lazy turns to keep the planet in the way to prevent attacks. 23 total captain skill should hopefully get there against most other builds, especially with resource help.

After winning the captain's battle, take your hopefully surviving Martok and put him on voyager (unless Khan also made it) and place your opponent's ships in the corner facing towards the edges, with your ships ready to alpha strike them in the rear. If I am reading the rules correctly, you can replace the cloaked minefield as long as it is 4 inches away from any other ship, much less than the range two it normally requires. This can go in between the fleets to add one more hurdle for them to face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
A mix of high skill and no-name captains might be a good idea if you're doing the RSV swarm: If you can tank with the tougher captains to keep the no-names alive, they're still worth 15 points.

If you managed to have 7 captains survive the fight, that's 105 squadron points right there. That would ensure an auto-win as long as you have 1 surviving ship to take it to time.

Of course I'm not buying 5 more RSVs to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Illyth wrote:
yourmonkey06 wrote:

To be honest, I'm just as skeptical as you are. And frankly, I'm not sure it's worth it to me to buy 4 more RSVs anyway. I'd be better off buying a Gorn ship on eBay at that point.

I don't know whether to be disappointed or relieved that it looks like my Arena OP will be happening before the Bajoran Interceptor is available...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Soehnlin
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
kemikos wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:
prydain wrote:
So what to build?

Thoughts?

Can you build some sort of rudimentary lathe?

Ha! My thoughts exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't really like the Arena event set up at all.

While you can plan some set up, it looks like most of it boils down to throw high skill captains at the problem, and then roll unmodified dice until someone wins. Then that player screws up the board to gain substantial advantage over most fleets, on top of having all the firing initiative from being the only player with captain skill left, before I even get to the free fleet points they get with it too.

The planet battle just means too much, with the only real way to improve your odds being to throw more dice, and hope for the best. Might as well play rock paper scissors till someone wins enough to keep playing the game at a huge advantage.

I seriously hope the Borg events are better thought out than this was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charles_skrobis wrote:
Honestly, I don't really like the Arena event set up at all.

While you can plan some set up, it looks like most of it boils down to throw high skill captains at the problem, and then roll unmodified dice until someone wins. Then that player screws up the board to gain substantial advantage over most fleets, on top of having all the firing initiative from being the only player with captain skill left, before I even get to the free fleet points they get with it too.

I think its interesting. It forces you to consider both aspects in your build. That could mean that you voluntarily concede the planet, but its still something you're having to think about. For builds that aren't just giving up on the planet, you'll have to try to balance your fleet in a way that it can win in space and on the ground.

As for the ground battle, at face value, maybe you want to just throw Picard and Kirk at it, but I really think that won't be enough. You probably have to squeeze a third captain in there to have a shot (so it can be a meatshield for the 9 skills, at least). But that could really put a price crunch on you to where it might be difficult to be effective in space. Its possible that a fleet of good 7 skills would be more likely to rule the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Callender
United States
anderson
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's weird that no one seems to be looking at all the rules. Those 1st 4 turns; a quick strike on the lowest skilled captains ship could drastically alter the captain battle. A larger fleet could really work well to try to get an advantage with RMT (more actions, more tokens) double dice seems pretty awesome. If you could manage to dominate high orbit you could get a huge advantage. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
I practiced this one twice coming at it from two different angles. Both worked pretty well.

List Name

Resource: The Elite Attack Die (5)

Romulan Bird of Prey (16)
Romulan Commander (5)
Ship SP: 21

Romulan Scout Vessel (14)
Alidar Jarok (4)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 21

Donatra (4)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 19

Letant (4)
Ship SP: 16

List Name

I.R.W. Praetus (14)
Toreth (4)
Ship SP: 18

The first one if I'd had the ships for it I would have just went all RSVs and probably fit in a couple generics, but I only own 2 and don't plan to buy a ton more just so I can have hulls to shipspam the odd scenario that rewards it. Won the planet handily with so many middling-high captains to spread the damage amont, meaning 75 fleet points right there, so I just had to basically keep two ships alive to time.

The other build:

Resource: The Elite Attack Die (5)

U.S.S. Defiant (24)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Romulan Pilot (3)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)
Secondary Torpedo Launcher (4)
Transwarp Drive (3)
Ship SP: 48

Defiant Class (22)
James T. Kirk (6)
Cheat Death (3)
Romulan Pilot (3)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)
Secondary Torpedo Launcher (4)
Transwarp Drive (3)
Ship SP: 47

Took out one ship turn 1 and took out the other cripped one on the second turn in an opposing 3-ship build, leaving only one captain on the surface for the battle. Kirk and Picard beat Janeway to death with foam rocks, and setting up her ship with 2 pursuing Defiants made it easy meat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean by the "first 4 turns..." You don't have 4 turns...

Here is the process of the Arena Op:

1) End of Round 1
Highest Captain (A) – joins the Away Team.

2) Round 2
Action: Highest Captain (A) gathers resources

3) End of Round 2
Next Highest Captain (B) - joins the Away Team.

4) Round 3 (only the two captains on the away team can gather resources)
Action: Captain A gathers resources
Action: Captain B gathers resources

5) End of Round 3
All remaining captains joins the Away Team.
(no chance for them to gather resources)

Captain’s Battle takes place.

So, its hard for an opponent to take out a ship during the first 3 rounds, especially with the planet to hide behind...

Just my thoughts!

ultralogan wrote:
It's weird that no one seems to be looking at all the rules. Those 1st 4 turns; a quick strike on the lowest skilled captains ship could drastically alter the captain battle. A larger fleet could really work well to try to get an advantage with RMT (more actions, more tokens) double dice seems pretty awesome. If you could manage to dominate high orbit you could get a huge advantage. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my thoughts so far:

1st turn - just play this to set up your strategy.

2nd turn - Your highest skill captain is on the planet. You need 1 ship within range 1-2 of the planet to use it's action so they can collect RMT's.

3rd turn - 2 Highest captains are on planet. You need 2 ships within range 1-2 of the planet to use actions so they can both collect RMT's.

Captain Battle Commences:

Each side has :

Highest Skill Captain with 0+ RMT's from a max of 2 rolls.
2nd Highest Captain with 0+ RMT's from a max of 1 roll.
All other Captains with 0 RMT's

Strategies for first the first 3 turns of the game should be:

quick ship destruction - to reduce number of captains available for away team and number of ships available to use actions for resource gathering.

Action negating - through bumping or applying APT's again to prevent actions available for resource gathering.

Strategies for Planet Battle:

Each attack is either 6 dice or 3 dice presumably unmodified.

The temptation would likely be to put hits on your lowest captains first, however, if you do so you are likely to lose their attacks.

If you place hits on your higher captains first (provided the result isn't enough to kill them) then you will maximise the attacking power of your captains by keeping your lower skill captains rolling their 3 dice longer.

My preferred build would probably be to go for a couple of highish skill captains (6/7+)with a couple of lower captains (more if you can get them) as support.

Haven't got as far as looking at post battle yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Adams
msg tools
Could the elite attack due be used in the captain battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Griffinman01 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't only 3 captains involved in the battle? The rules say that there are 3 mission tokens and after each one is removed, you commit a captain to the battle. The last token gets removed and triggers the battle immediately. Meaning you can't even give the 3rd captain weapons.

Thus scoring would be at most 45 points for the captain battle, not 105 as the 7 ship fleets are saying.

Also, could the elite attack due be used in the captain battle?

When the 3rd mission token is removed, all your remaining captains join the away team. In a 7 ship build that would be 5 all going at once at the end f the 3rd round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.