Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

So, I've been reading through the the forums on this game and WOW, this game is either hated or loved. Personally, I love the open concept of the game and am not worried at all about the rules lapse or other problems, because if it doesn't get fleshed out I'm just going to do what makes sense. I generally don't enjoy playing solo, but there are a few that I will play solo because of the size of my game group, and this is one of them. I love alot of the ideas of this game and would love to see where it takes me and the rest of the gamers that play Myth.

It may also be that I am in to this game because I am purely an Ameritrash player. Can't handle putting cubes somewhere and trading them for other cubes to put somewhere else. I know that alot gamers love this style, but it's just not for me (or my group). But, put a mini w/ a pair of flamethrowing pistols teamed with a mini who has a chain gun that shoots flagpole sized bolts against some giant mini that looks like the Predator with horns and a nasty set of dragon wings that has powers to destroy the world, i'm a happy man.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is because I am a newer (about 1 1/2 years) member of the hobby and would like to know if there are other games that anyone may remember ever having so much diverse reaction from the hobbyists as this one. This is merely curiosity.

Hope I'm not opening a can of nasty worms here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Joe Bauers
United States
flag msg tools
No matter games or life
badge
Honesty over everything
mbmbmb
phaelen2003 wrote:
Anyway, the purpose of this post is because I am a newer (about 1 1/2 years) member of the hobby and would like to know if there are other games that anyone may remember ever having so much diverse reaction from the hobbyists as this one. This is merely curiosity.

I'll throw out Sedition Wars as one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide is another game that seems to have a "love it or hate it" mentality; more so from (allegedly) unthematic rules rather than poor/missing rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android. I stayed up all night once reading a 15-page thread exploding with debate about whether the central idea of the game was totally incredible or the worst thing ever. By the end, I HAD to buy the game. I didn't even care whether I would end up liking it (I did), I just wanted to participate in something that elicited that strong and divided of a reaction from people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Heroquest 25th Anniversary! Its both loved and despised without even being close to getting published yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroquest25 isn't hated, it's kickstart is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sedition Wars
Krosmaster Arena
HQ 25th
Fallen City of Karez
Dark Darker Darkest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:

HQ25 is its Kickstarter.

HeroQuest and HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition are two separate games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJGryph wrote:
Android. I stayed up all night once reading a 15-page thread exploding with debate about whether the central idea of the game was totally incredible or the worst thing ever. By the end, I HAD to buy the game. I didn't even care whether I would end up liking it (I did), I just wanted to participate in something that elicited that strong and divided of a reaction from people.

That's kind of how I feel about it. I mean for things to be that divided it's so hard not to be interested, which is kind of why I wanted to start this thread.

I have played both Zombicide and Dark, Darker, Darkest and love them both. I'm definitely going to be looking into the list of the rest of the games posted in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a backer I'm still holding onto a fool's hope for Myth.
All the furore surrounding Sedition Wars suggested it was an unplayable mess, and the barrier to entry was indeed huge, but when I finally cracked it I discovered it is in fact a great game. Although it was mostly Universal Head's rules summary that fixed it. Hopefully he'll be getting a copy of Myth too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krosmaster, Sedition Wars and Zombicide are all great games. They all have certain issues that can be barriers to entry, but I would be missing three great entries in my collection if this simply wasn't allowed for some reason. Krosmaster really benefits visually from the upgraded components and adding additional minis. This gets expensive as hell very quickly, but you can say that about almost any miniatures game. I think Sedition Wars threw people because it requires the building and painting skillset and time investment of a traditional miniatures game, but it presents itself at first glance as a normal board game, where the mainstream audience is not exactly prepared to start off by cutting parts off of sprues and waiting for glue to dry. Zombicide has some rules that are extremely irritating and don't seem to make sense if you're trying to imagine yourself in the situation being played out. These things are all surmountable, but require a degree of dedication to the idea of the game and to the other things that make it appealing and not everyone is going to have that kind of passion for every single game. I think that's totally normal and to be expected.

From a commercial perspective, I'm sure this dramatically limits who you can sell your game to but, from a personal perspective, I kind of enjoy introducing friends to a game knowing that, without that extra work on my part, they might not have ever had that particular experience. There's something rewarding about that. I think the only reason people get so upset and hyperbolic about this stuff is when there are mismatched expectations. Android, for example, is promoted as a murder investigation game. I think a LOT of people read "investigation" on the box but heard "deduction" and thought, "Oh sweet, this is Clue meets Blade Runner, sign me up." Then they got pissed when they realized there is something unexpected going on with this game. Other than that and the fervor over the Myth rulebook, 90% of the other debates I've seen seem to be people who are upset about how a Kickstarter campaign was handled, and that almost always comes down to things that people would have been fine with if there had just been more frequent communication from the creators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Well, that's untrue. I very much hate HQ25, kickstarter or no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In some respects it is good to see that people do indeed like different things. I am a UK backer of Myth so I am unlikely to see it for another couple of months - it will be interesting to see which side of the fence I will be on. In theory the prospect of an open sandbox game excites me, however I may have become reliant on a tight rule set since my RPG days were long ago!

There are a lot of games that polarise opinions, Mage Knight is one I can think of off the top of my head. When this happens you know that for some people it's a good game, the challenge is to decide whether you are one of those people or one of the others! It's when a game is universally panned you need to stay clear, and thankfully there are not many of those.

In general I play games for the social experience so I can have fun with a 'bad' game anyway if the group is right.

Anyway, I am sure that publishers and designers would rather see a huge amount of discussion about their games than nothing at all.

I am looking forward to Myth - perhaps more so than ever, just to see which side of the fence I land!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Signore
Italy
Napoli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phaelen2003 wrote:

I'm a Myth backer, I am still waiting for it and I am quite happy about that, although the hoorible delay inbuilt in any kickstarter project makes me HATE the Kickstarter-type of game shopping (I will never back anything else in my life, I prefer to wait and buy in the shop, and to hell with the stretch goals angry).

But as the question in the thread was different, and since I love thematic games (call them Ameritrash or whatever) then I may suggest Galaxy Defender. I think there will be a KS very soon for the first two expansions of GD, and there will also be the possibility of buying he base game together.
Here is the link to Ares Games page detailing the expansions:
http://www.aresgames.eu/12072

Another game which may perhaps be in the range could be Brimstone, but the KS is over and the game is still in the making, AFAIK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angra wrote:
phaelen2003 wrote:

I'm a Myth backer, I am still waiting for it and I am quite happy about that, although the hoorible delay inbuilt in any kickstarter project makes me HATE the Kickstarter-type of game shopping (I will never back anything else in my life, I prefer to wait and buy in the shop, and to hell with the stretch goals angry).

But as the question in the thread was different, and since I love thematic games (call them Ameritrash or whatever) then I may suggest Galaxy Defender. I think there will be a KS very soon for the first two expansions of GD, and there will also be the possibility of buying he base game together.
Here is the link to Ares Games page detailing the expansions:
http://www.aresgames.eu/12072

Another game which may perhaps be in the range could be Brimstone, but the KS is over and the game is still in the making, AFAIK.

Already bought GD. I LOVE that game, and will definitely be backing the expansions when they hit KS. Brimstone is one that I missed because I didn't know about KS yet, but if that game does hit the market in August (which I don't know if that's true) I already have a stash set aside to purchase both base sets.

Sounds like we like the same games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to bring out Galaxy Defenders and experience anything less than approval. What a great little game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.