Subject: Is it worth getting the big box than individually? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Kim
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
For the price of buying base + one exp can get this anniversary but is it worth getting this rather than all 3?

I notice the box is big which I kinda tend to avoid as I prefer normal sizes to store but then I already have Mage Wars which I have no choice of getting smaller box...

If it saves me 40+ bling, heck yea i would get another game with that.

So apart from the box size, any adv or disadv of getting this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Gauthier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion....absolutely worth it.

Yes the box is big, being a con for many people.

But you get everything that has been made previous the last ship expansion, which btw fits in the anniversary box.

Plus you'll save $$$$$$$$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big box insert is pretty good, so it is easy to keep the expansions separate. I have no regrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the base and sold it for the big box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Box insert is great, even if you sleeve (like I did) or want to leave some stuff out (like aliens, still teaching to many newbs) you can do that to. Just a great insert. You also don't have to worry about the tiles be different shades on the back if you buy the expansions all separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would much rather have the single box, so I don't have to carry two boxes around everywhere. Aside from that and price, they are mostly the same. I don't know, maybe the cards are more likely to indistinguishable from the back if you buy the single box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Personally I would much rather have the single box, so I don't have to carry two boxes around everywhere. Aside from that and price, they are mostly the same. I don't know, maybe the cards are more likely to indistinguishable from the back if you buy the single box?

The base game and two expansions does all fit in the base game box - though I do have to repack it myself whenever someone borrows my copy since there's not much spare volume...

Of course, if you pick up the Latest Models, you'll need more than just the base game box to carry it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
SevenSpirits wrote:

The base game and two expansions does all fit in the base game box - though I do have to repack it myself whenever someone borrows my copy since there's not much spare volume...

Of course, if you pick up the Latest Models, you'll need more than just the base game box to carry it all.

If you're willing to not have the box close all the way, I guess. It definitely doesn't FIT in it though - the boards alone take up almost the entire box volume.

There's also the issue of weight - a single GT box isn't really sturdy enough to hold all that cardboard without breaking, in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
SevenSpirits wrote:

If you're willing to not have the box close all the way, I guess. It definitely doesn't FIT in it though - the boards alone take up almost the entire box volume.

There's also the issue of weight - a single GT box isn't really sturdy enough to hold all that cardboard without breaking, in my experience.

My box closes all the way, and has been intact for... about a year now. Okay, if I let someone else borrow it, then it doesn't close properly until I repack it, but once I have, it does. The boards do, indeed take up most of the volume, but Cargo, Crew, Batteries and Ship tokens fit down the gap beside the boards, the cards fit on the lower ledge where the smaller boards don't fill as much width, and the component tiles and money fit on top of the smaller boards, and what's left of the lower ledge. Rulebooks sit on top of everything, and even without stacking the tiles to get the minimum depth as efficiently as possible, the box closes properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
The big box insert is pretty good, so it is easy to keep the expansions separate. I have no regrets.

Why would you play without the expansions?
No insert required for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.