Terra Mystica: 4 Town Tiles» Forums » General

Subject: Is expansion Town Tile 1 overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hills
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Town Tile 1: When taking this Town tile, get 2 Victory points and move 2 spaces forward on each of the 4 Cult tracks. This tile provides 2 Town Keys."

One of my experienced Terra Mystica buddies, who loves the game, is happy to play with all of the mini-expansions except for Town Tile 1. He thinks that this tile gives its owner too big an advantage in trying to get to the end of three Cult tracks (which was his unhappy experience when an opponent used Town Tile 1 to win the game).

Any comments, pro or con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Howe
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Not to mention the ability for each town key get 5 VP for the Hexen, making it worth 12 VP and 2 in each cult. Unless I'm misinterpreting that rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
iamefficiency wrote:
Not to mention the ability for each town key get 5 VP for the Hexen, making it worth 12 VP and 2 in each cult. Unless I'm misinterpreting that rule.

You are misinterpreting it. 5VP for founding a town with the witches not for every key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon dee
Denmark
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Town tile 1 has good uses before being a decisive final move on cult track.
An early town does with a little coordinating work with temple and priests give some decent end turn rewards from cult track. When noting the power gain also, it really is a good first town tile choice for increasing production.

It compares mostly to the 1 priest-9 point town (in the midgame), with a priest that is likely to go to a cult track for a two advance that matters most in points,power and end round reward. Is 7 points worth 6 cult advance , including some power gain, if the other 3x2 cult advances are not the ones with most impact? Hard to tell. But as soon as it can swing a first and a second against the right opponent it has payed off

Off cause a late town 1 can be a game winning move, winning several tracks. But it is not that everybody has not seen it coming. Instead in a game where town 1 goes early, the impact it has on cult track is different, because other players can and properly will respond in time.

I will not call it overpowered before I see a meta where it goes always as the first town tiles. But it sure is often strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never taken this town tile. I think it's best to compare it to the 8-point single-advancement town tile. Essentially, that tile values 1 cult advancement in each track at 3 points, which means that with the double-advancement tile, you're essentially paying 3 points for that second key.

Is a second key really worth 3 points? In almost any situation, the most that key could net you is 4 points, but that is only going to be for a strong cult race that has trouble building 3 towns (i.e. Chaos Magicians) playing a 4 or 5 player game with a diverse selection of round cult bonus tiles (such that you've got competition on all the tracks), but it's almost a catch-22 because strong cult races are on average weaker than the other races because they have no inherent way to accumulate points, and they are sacrificing a huge number of points that they would normally get from building a town to get the advantages of the 2 tile, essentially going all in on the cult track and hoping that's going to be enough (which it usually isn't).

So I would say it is situationally useful for the Chaos Magicians, but not over-powered by any means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get town tile 1 early (round 2-3) and manage to get good cult rewards with it, it can be very good. The 2nd key itself is almost useless and extra cult steps are usually not worth too much.

My advice: Use it for getting cult rewards early, otherwise skip it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
im pretty new to the game, maybe 15 games total played. In those 15 games Ive never seen any factions build 3 towns, it that comman at higher levels of play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
im pretty new to the game, maybe 15 games total played. In those 15 games Ive never seen any factions build 3 towns, it that comman at higher levels of play?

Yes, it's very common. It's easier and/or highly advantageous to get to three town with some factions (nomads, mermaids, witches come to mind) and it's doable with almost any. The two hardest factions to get three towns with would be the dwarves and the fakirs because their jumping abilities tend to leave fragmented areas of the board though that's balanced out by them being much easier to win largest network.

Even four towns is doable though much, much rarer.

That's not to say, though, that three towns is a necessity for winning by any means. Plenty of games are won by the best players on terra.snellman.net with only one or two towns.

It's all about the timing of the in-round bonuses. If there's a final round town bonus, nearly everyone will be trying to complete two or three towns in the final round. If not, maybe your energy is better spent elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Malvestuto
Italy
Roma
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Quote:
Yes, it's very common. It's easier and/or highly advantageous to get to three town with some factions (nomads, mermaids, witches come to mind) and it's doable with almost any. The two hardest factions to get three towns with would be the dwarves and the fakirs because their jumping abilities tend to leave fragmented areas of the board though that's balanced out by them being much easier to win largest network.

Even four towns is doable though much, much rarer.

That's not to say, though, that three towns is a necessity for winning by any means. Plenty of games are won by the best players on terra.snellman.net with only one or two towns.

It's all about the timing of the in-round bonuses. If there's a final round town bonus, nearly everyone will be trying to complete two or three towns in the final round. If not, maybe your energy is better spent elsewhere.

All perfectly correct. I quote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.