David Gerrard
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I was playing a game against the Fangs with me playing Daemons. Every time I got near his bruisers, he would just tackle me, and that +2 would make it very hard for me to win.

So if I wanted to roll my bruiser up to his, I had to endure a tackle first, win that, THEN I could attack his bruiser?

Am I missing something? It seems REALLY strong that essentially every time you try to attack a bruiser, you first have to deal with their reaction attack/tackle first.

Thanks for any input. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the opposite effect in my post. Not sure what to think... The amazons basically killed me.. I was the fangs. I think buying some upgrades to minimize the difference will help.. Which I didn't use since it was my first game..as far as the rules it sounds that way.. So if you can move your bruisers in first. You can clog up the center and get the first attack . when the other player moves into your kill zone. Or tackle in the fangs case. But if they lose the tackle you can push them back. Making them advance into you zone..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Grindling
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
You aren't playing it wrong. Sometimes a good strategy is to go after the runners or wait until some cards have been played in order to make him play dead cards. Also, remember if it's your turn and he tackles your first and you tie , You still get to roll the tiebreaker dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixxxer76 wrote:
You aren't playing it wrong. Sometimes a good strategy is to go after the runners or wait until some cards have been played in order to make him play dead cards. Also, remember if it's your turn and he tackles your first and you tie , You still get to roll the tiebreaker dice.

Runners are completely vulnerable. Take advantage of that. It doesn't even mean that you have to successfully tackle or attack them; just the opposite. You can use those opportunities to try and force higher live cards out of your opponents hand. Losing contests you start, using a dead card, has minimal risk in the right circumstances; those being an uninjured figure starting an attack or tackling and losing with no adjacent blocked spaces. In the former your figure takes one damage, in the latter your figure MAY be pushed back one space. Otherwise you might get them to play a higher live card, and you gained more information while not burning anything live yourself.

Reactions are another big thing. If you're rushing headlong at them all the time then that's a bad idea. That gives them a crazy advantage allowing them to choose more contests that favor them. KB is a bit like chess. You want to make them run into your kill zones as often as possible to allow you the choice of contest more often. That's when you put your bruisers in their way so they have to cross your kill zone or go far around. Also remember if they're dealing with your bruisers then that's less time they can stop your runners. Positioning your bruisers defensively to help protect your runners on scoring mounds is important as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
2 more things:

- Don't use fire and walls as simple obstacles, IE placing them directly in front of a bruiser or runner. Use them to block paths to non-kill zones.

- If you aren't using upgrades and ringers you should definitely start right away; it's a gigantic part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Going after Runners to try and force them to burn energy cards is a great idea. Even as deamons, run up to them and try to tackle. If you can manage to play a dead card while they burn a live one to keep runners up, thats a big win for you. If you are up against a +2 stat team, running into their bruisers constantly is only playing into their strengths, so thats not great strategy.

Most of my opponents all go for a heavy offensive play style because the game seems to really encourage that. So use their aggressiveness to your advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Going after Runners to try and force them to burn energy cards is a great idea. Even as deamons, run up to them and try to tackle. If you can manage to play a dead card while they burn a live one to keep runners up, thats a big win for you. If you are up against a +2 stat team, running into their bruisers constantly is only playing into their strengths, so thats not great strategy.

And honestly the best way to force out the good cards is to attack their runner. They'd be crazy not to defend themselves well.

Quote:
Most of my opponents all go for a heavy offensive play style because the game seems to really encourage that. So use their aggressiveness to your advantage.

I've mentioned that this game is a lot like chess. It's about positioning and forcing those runners to move the long way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reactions are meant to be strong. Running up to bruisers without enough cards to win two contests is a bad idea.

As locusshifter has mentioned: Positioning, Positioning, Positioning. Get those bruisers in the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.